Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times

Lightbulb tegra 2 vs tegra3, need help choosing a tablet.

So im in a rut, i want a tablet but theirs sooo many choices.
    i love the asus transformer series...and would go with a prime, but with the 700t coming out...its pretty much getting replaced.

The 300the asus tablet seems nice...but plastic backing always has me scared. The samsung 10.1 galaxy also seems nice. Urggg so confusing.

Anyways any suggestions? And my main question was what exactly is the difference between tegra 2 and 3. I wouldnt mind getting a tegra 22 tabket. But im afraid 3 has replaced tegra 2 and t2 will be end of life by the time i get it.

Thanks all

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    57 times
    Get tegra 3, tegra 2 is a nightmare. Pdf reading is even super laggy and slow on it. Games has be set to medium (if there is such a setting) allround a bad graphics card. I have it but I do not recommend it. Imo it should never have even be produced and sold.

B60 TF101 16gb WW version. Never rooted.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    I would definitely get one with at least tegra 3, the Prime (or TF201) also has Tegra 3 and as far as I know it will still be sold, but for a newer option without the wireless problems there is the TF300, which doesn't have these problems but has been made cheaper and lacks a few features such as; rear flash; gorilla glass; super IPS+ and then a few other things, the only model that has tegra 2 is the TF101, so as long as you get one newer than that you will be fine, and its being phased out now anyway

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    Well...with the 700t coming out...isnt the prime kinda a waste. Since the 700t is wayyy better?. Seems like where the prime is kinda old theyd stop making it.

Also didnt the update fix the wireless problems? And is tegra 22 really THAT bad? And is tregra 3 completely replacing tegra 2? (As in t2 is going to stop being produced) because there are very few tablets with t3 tbh.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Tegra 2 reads pdfs fine! It is widely recognised as a groundbreaking & top quality chipset.
    (Really anarox!!!)

The simple difference is this...

Tegra 2 = dual core
    Tegra 3 = quad core

Both have more processing power than a typical tablet needs. You could also consider the Acer Iconia A510.

Plastic case
    - pros - scratch resistant, good wifi & gps signal
    - cons - its plastic

Metal case
    - pros - stylish, looks nice
    - cons - interferes with wifi & gps signal, scratches easily

The best answer for you is to set a budget. Know what you want to do with the device & why - then review all the possibilities & make as informed a choice as possible. The research is more fun than the purchase in many ways.

MobileTechReviews on YouTube are very good reviews of this type of thing. Lisa does a great, honest, informed & balanced job of her reviews.

Good luck with your choice
    (Moved to Asus General)

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    Can u tell me if the normal transformer prime is getting replaced/end of life? Same goes for tegra 2?

Also were the wireless issues mainly because of the case or what?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    The prime with the Tegra 3 will most likely still be sold, and at a lower price, the TF101 will be phased out now, and that is the only tegra 2 tablet they produce

The wireless issues were because of the metal case but the TF300 back is made of plastic and the TF700 has a rubber strip to allow wireless communications to pass through

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I think the question is not so much is tegra2 at end of life as much as who uses it.

There are lots of devices on the market using tegra2 or the TI dual core OMAP chipsets.
    The tf101 is still a current device "officially" - but...
    The tf201 is in a similar position, but IMO it is a flawed device with flawed design & has been plagued by issues both hardware & firmware from launch.

The tf201 wireless issues were the case & the construction technique combined - I haven't yet recommended it to anyone to buy.

As I say, research & your needs/purpose for the device is key in your choice here. Despite the asus dock "gimmick" - I don't know of a tablet that cannot be used with a standalone keyboard - be it bluetooth or usb.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    I would go with the 300t700700t but the gorilla glass is a dealbreaker to me

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 2.X
    Liked
    17 times
    it depends on if you are into games and such i guess.. not my bag angry birds plays fine on either and quite afew other less gfx intensive things work on the 101.. pdf? load them to a mem card and you will see a direct improvement.. dont use some bloat ware program to display... and it works fine... hell,, i have my 101 hooked up to splashtop remote.. and i able to pretty much run my whole big PC operations with no lag.. i have it working Plex.. as an app and i have it working as a dummy terminal to Plex on the windows machine.. i have it running xbmc as a dummy terminal with very good results... perhaps a small bit of lag.. but a bit of buffer time clears that.. i have navi-x as an app... i also use the 101 as a dummy terminal running navi-x through xbmc.. and it works quite well also... i dont like the construction of the 201 or 300 as much as the 101.. it been paired down too much... the micro hdmi vs mini hdmi.. the placement of the sd card,,, docking / cracking of the screen issue. the form over function idea of a metal back that hurts wifi/ gps... if you want to see how fast the 101 is... just switch off java... then surf.. being not into games or any of that... im quite happy with the 101.. and can wait out the next wave..

but i will get a nexus 7...
    but i will be keeping the 101 until a big enough performance bump comes along...

jmho...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links