Thread: Idea about Dock charging the Tablet

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times

Idea about Dock charging the Tablet

I have read people on here complaining about how they don't like the charging scheme. This did not make sense to me, as I understood one of the selling points of these tablets to be that even when the keyboard dock runs out of power, you still have a charged up tablet which you can continue using.

However, as I was in night school last night, typing notes on my TF300 (which I LOVE), the battery on my dock runs out, so I can't type anymore, but my tablet is still at 90%, as the keyboard dock has been recharging it throughout the evening.

In my head, I coupled this with the fact that the battery thread and article in this same forum suggest that the ideal time to charge either of these components is when they get down to around 40%, as opposed to at 0% or constantly having them plugged in and charging.

So, here is my solution (which I wish ASUS would put out as a firmware update):

Have, in battery setting, an option to set the tablet battery percentage level at which you want the keyboard dock to start recharging the tablet from its own supply.
    Then, I can set the tablet to start drawing on the keyboard dock's battery when it gets down to about 40%, thus prolonging battery life out of BOTH components, getting maximum functionality and usage per charge out of BOTH components, and you can attract more customers with a very simple user setting. You can set it the same as now as a default, but allow people who need more keyboard usage to adjust it as mentioned above.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Your idea would have serious merit, if we were still using NiCd or Nmh batteries-- either of those have "memory" effects, and seem to "prefer" being fully charged & discharged. Nmh less so than for the older NiCds.

Modern LiIon batteries, like the ones in your 300, do not suffer from memory issues, so recharging or "topping up" isn't much of an issue with them. The biggest thing you can do to prolong their life, is avoid leaving them discharged for long periods of time.

And that's pretty much it, in a nutshell-- recharge as soon as is convenient, regardless of the battery's levels.

By the way? Your dock, if it's setup correctly, should quit "feeding" your tablet, once the dock drops below 4% or so. But, your keyboard attached to the dock? That is actually powered by the tablet's battery--it's a USB device after all, as are the dock's ports-- all come from the USB host in the tablet itself, and ought to be powered by the Tablet's batteries.

So that even if your dock's battery is flat, and no longer charging the tablet's? You should still be able to use your keyboard & dock ports normally-- they'll just draw from the tablet's power, like any other USB client would.

-----------------

If you are serious about playing around with the battery charger's behavior?

You could dig deep into Android-- you'll need to root of course. And I cannot stress enough here-- you really must install a full-backup recovery system, such as CWM-- and back that sucker up (using CWM) before tinkering around with the battery's setting files.

As far as I know-- the battery's charging profiles are based on some deeply buried text files in Android. You could modify these, if you wanted to reverse-engineer them.

I'd strongly suggest you keep a good ABC Fire Extingusher on hand, though-- in case you mess up the charging profile such that, the battery catches on fire... you know, like those Sony's did a few years back....

... and although this sounds sarcastic? I'm actually serious to a degree-- LiIon batteries pack a serious amount of energy in them. That's why we love them so much: they hold lots of watts to power our beloved (and hungry) toys for hours and hours.

Not unlike a stick of dynamite holds the power to blow a stump out of the ground ... useful, if used with proper care. Dangerous if used carelessly.
    hpfabe likes this.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    By the way? Your dock, if it's setup correctly, should quit "feeding" your tablet, once the dock drops below 4% or so. But, your keyboard attached to the dock? That is actually powered by the tablet's battery--it's a USB device after all, as are the dock's ports-- all come from the USB host in the tablet itself, and ought to be powered by the Tablet's batteries.

So that even if your dock's battery is flat, and no longer charging the tablet's? You should still be able to use your keyboard & dock ports normally-- they'll just draw from the tablet's power, like any other USB client would.
    Really? I've had my TF300 for less than a week, with last night being the first where I really put it through its paces beyond just playing around.
    The battery dropped down to 0% on the dock, at which point I plugged the charger (luckily had it with me) and kept working as it charged. I was unaware of the keyboard continuing to work off of the tablet's power. You would think that they would have advertised that feature somewhere.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hpfabe View Post
    Really? I've had my TF300 for less than a week, with last night being the first where I really put it through its paces beyond just playing around.
    The battery dropped down to 0% on the dock, at which point I plugged the charger (luckily had it with me) and kept working as it charged. I was unaware of the keyboard continuing to work off of the tablet's power. You would think that they would have advertised that feature somewhere.
    First of all, they do advertise this feature. It's also plastered everywhere on the internet.

Also, there is nothing you can do about the charging scheme of the batteries. It's hardwired into the battery control board. The only way for you to change that is to replace the chipset. Good luck with that one.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    First of all, they do advertise this feature. It's also plastered everywhere on the internet.

Also, there is nothing you can do about the charging scheme of the batteries. It's hardwired into the battery control board. The only way for you to change that is to replace the chipset. Good luck with that one.
    You know, I have been on this board for about a week. I came here to get advice on the TF300, to give what advice I am able to give, and to share in discussions about this product that I really love.
    In that week, I have come across 4 posts from you, including this one, 3 of which have been either quite antagonistic or have simply talked down to other people, despite your "good intentions."

I apologize for my stupidity, but please explain where the fact that the keyboard dock can continue to work off of the tablet's power even when it's own battery is depleted is advertised by Asus and "plastered everywhere on the internet." I see the big feature being mentioned that it extends the tablet's life to 15 hours, and the keyboard has a usb port, but nothing about the keyboard being able to be powered by the tablet. I personally know a number of people who, mistakenly, specifically didn't buy this tablet because they were afraid that the keyboard would power the tablet, and then the keyboard would be dead until recharged.

I have looked at Asus' site, Best Buy's listing for the dock, Amazon's listing, and CNET's reviews. No mention of it being able to run off of the tablet's power, which I think is a really great feature, compared to all of the bluetooth keyboards out there!

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    This is one of those common sense thing that asus expected people with the least bit intelligence to figure out.

As far as I know, there is no keyboard that connects via usb to any device I know of that needs a battery to power the keyboard. ALL usb keyboards out there draw power from the usb connection to the tablet/laptop/desktop.

But the asus keyboard dock isn't connected to the tablet via usb, you say. Actually, it is. It may not be the standard 4 pin usb that you know of, but the wirings are the same.

Can you think of any usb keyboard or any keyboard at all that connects via some kind of hardwire to the main device that needs a battery of its own in order for it to work? I can't think of any. Now, remember that those bluetooth keyboards don't count.

I'm not saying you're stupid. You just lack some common sense in the tech world.

And forgive me if I sounded antagonistic in my last post. I just wanted to convey that the charging scheme is hardwired into the control board. And this is another one of those common sense thing that I don't understand why people have trouble understanding. If the charging scheme was controled by the android OS, then how in the world is it continuing to operate the way it's designed to while the tablet is off?

There was a woman that came to me with charging problem for her tablet. She insisted that it was a software problem. What was her reasoning? She said, and I quote, "I feel like it's a software problem." After doing a quick test, it was obvious the charging port wasn't working. I told her that and she continued to insist that it was a software problem and that if only I would fix the software her tablet would charge again. I finally had to point out to her that if charging was being controlled by software, how come it knows when to charge and when to stop even when the tablet is off? She just stared at me for a few seconds and then said ok she'll RMA it.

The reason people don't mention that the keyboard still works even when the keyboard battery is dead is because it's common sense. It's sort of like why people don't ever mention chewing to eat your food. Just because people don't tell you to chew when they first introduce you to pizza doesn't mean you have to swallow it whole.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Wow, still very condescending...

You do this stuff professionally? That's great. It may be common knowledge to you.
    HOWEVER, this is a product for the general public, and this type of thing is not common knowledge to the general public, nor even to the average computer buyer.
    My point, which you seem to feel the need to condescendingly try to shoot down, is that this feature, even if common knowledge to people whose job it is to repair (or sell, etc.) such devices, is not common knowledge or common sense to the target market, and would likely increase sales significantly if it were advertised.

I'm still waiting to see where it's "plastered everywhere on the internet," as you had claimed.

We should probably just end this discussion before it devolves into anger, name-calling, and the like.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I agree, lets end this now.

Also, to point out that a typical USB keyboard, yes, it will draw power from the device it is plugged into.

Last time I checked, the Keyboard Dock is NOT a typical USB keyboard. It has its own battery in it, as well as USB ports. Other keyboards I have seen with batteries in them (bluetooth, or otherwise wireless) cease to work when the battery is depeleted.

This is a completely different animal, and yes it does draw power from the tablet when the battery is depleted, but it is not plastered all over the internet.

I am going to close this thread as it has run its course. If I do not, I fear I will be banning some users quite soon.

To all reading this thread, be sure not to insult other members of the forum, no matter how idiotic, stupid, or juvenile their questions, answers or views may be.

MikeM, leeshor, 14theroad and 1 others like this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links