Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is the best "File System" for external SD Card for Android

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Ext4 suposed to be retrocompatible with ext 2 and ext 3 if i'm right that's why

Regards

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Huh, I tried ext4 when I first got this thing in November. Maybe ics has given that capability, may have to try it at some point.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post

I have a NAS formatted as EXT4 in my office and have no problems reading or writing on my WiFi network?
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    Huh, I tried ext4 when I first got this thing in November. Maybe ics has given that capability, may have to try it at some point.
    On a NAS, the EXT4 is converted to the SMB (SAMBA) format by the NAS enclosure to make it readable.

This is similar that OS X cannot write to NTFS drives without software (it can read it). But, if you share a NTFS drive on the network, OS X can write to it because it follows the SMB protocol for reading.

Inserting an EXT4 drive directly to the tablet vs a NAS are two totally different animals.
    leeshor likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    On a NAS, the EXT4 is converted to the SMB (SAMBA) format by the NAS enclosure to make it readable.

This is similar that OS X cannot write to NTFS drives without software (it can read it). But, if you share a NTFS drive on the network, OS X can write to it because it follows the SMB protocol for reading.

Inserting an EXT4 drive directly to the tablet vs a NAS are two totally different animals.
    I thought the forum rules said all posts had to be in English...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    I use NTFS because it's a doubly-linked list file structure, and can better recover from errors. All versions of FAT are single-linked lists as far as I know--break one link in the chain, and the file cannot be recovered.

Then there's the whole cluster size issue: any device bigger than about 2 gig, and your cluster size (smallest possible "chunk") on Fat and Fat32 is pretty large. A problem if you are storing lots of small items, such as low res pictures, text files, ebooks, small apps, and so forth. No big deal, if the smallest thing you store is the size of your average MP3, though.

NTFS is superior in this regard too-- smaller cluster size with large devices (greater than 2gig).

I cannot speak to the usefulness of the various Linux alternatives-- I'm told they are better than either NTFS or Fatxx. Of course, the people who tell me this are really deep into the Linux culture, so.... <evil grin> but they are probably at least mostly right. Linux, being a crowd-sourced culture, tends to eliminate things that are really wonky pretty quickly.

I do wish the Android OS understood other formats, though.... both Fatxx and NTFS are children of Micro$oft, with all that that implies.

But more than that? I wish Google had not removed the FORMAT command from Android HC/ICS .... it would make things ever so much more simple, if you could format these on your tablet ....
    Frederuco likes this.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Did the Commodore 64 even have RAM?
    Good trivia question. )
    Yes that is what the 64 stands for. 64 Kb That is Sixty Four Kilobytes. Not MB and not Gb. And we used to program some great games, music and lots of other stuff on that, one line at a time :-) #backintheday
    Bob_of_QF likes this.
    Asus Transformer TF101, Commtiva N700 (cheap but good), Samsung Galaxy SII

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    You made my day. Now I'm having trouble reading this thread without laughing.
    Frederuco and janner43 like this.
    *Rooted* Transformer Pad TF101 and Nexus 7

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Infract me, I double dog dare you!

janner43 likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehpriest View Post
    Yes that is what the 64 stands for. 64 Kb That is Sixty Four Kilobytes. Not MB and not Gb. And we used to program some great games, music and lots of other stuff on that, one line at a time :-) #backintheday
    My first "computer" was a Coleco Vision machine. Yeah, I liked to gamble in those days. I was fond of hacking my own controllers too-- I built several variations to the originals the console came with-- modified those too, to have a standard Atari-type jack in the back, so I could use modified Atari-type controllers. I even had the Coleco trackball-- that ball was huge-- the size of a large CUE ball from pool it was. Lots of mass, meant you couldn't change direction very quickly. But it'd spin for minutes, if you flicked it the right way... heh.

My first real computer was an IBM PC. Yes the original beige box made by IBM, weighing about 50 pounds (most of which was the heavy-gauge steel case-- you could literally stand on those suckers, and not bend them). It had a whopping 8k RAM, which I quickly expanded by plugging in 16-pin RAM modules, to the maximum 16k (that's kilobytes--- the total memory model in these 8/16 bit hybrids was only 1meg, 360 of which was reserved and unavailable for general computing).

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, circa 1981

But us wily programmers learned to utilize some of that 360k "reserved" space with clever Assembly Language programs-- I know I did exactly that, back in 1986 or so. I needed some fast buffers for sorting purposes, and pushing it out to the then slow 8bit bus hard disks was simply not feasible. So I wrote an assembly language program that utilized the video buffer as temporary storage for sorting those (then) massive structures. It worked. My first go-round did use the hard disk, and typically took about an hour to sort the pieces of the map (it was a mapping program). By buffering it in the unused color video RAM (we required color video for our program, but this program was only using a text-based screen at the time, so the color buffers were free to use) I cut it to less than 5 minutes.

Oh, the memories of limited systems running DOS 2.21... networking? Ha! A pipe dream, at best... unless you worked for DARPA, of course...
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    902 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2min View Post
    Ok I apologize if this question has been answered (probably several times), also if this is not in the right forum....
    Tim
    I'm going to move this entire thread out of TF101 General Discussion over to the Transformer Prime Help category!
    Nibiru2012 likes this.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links