*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    870 times

Asus backup app - tests done - results

When I got into the PC world many years ago...one of the first words I learned was BACKUP.

Ever since, I have been excessively dilligent in terms of having backup images or copies of key data content on various computer devices.

In some cases, I store image copies, and sometimes they are on either another hard disk or sometimes on a DVD that resides in my safety deposit box for offsite backup. Things like tax documents, photos, and other non-replacable things are good to have stored safely.

This "make sure you backup things important" mentality I have carried over to the ASUS Transformer tablet. It was great to see ASUS include a convenient BACKUP APP that I've used since it was available in the base OS version.

Over the past 90 days, I have maintained a log of backups done using the ASUS BACKUP APP on my Transformer. Since on some days, I have gotten multiple app updates...I have been known to rerun the ASUS BACKUP APP more than once on the same day. While that's likely overkill...I know that at least I have my warm/fuzzy backup safely stored on the microSD card in the event of an app failure. I also copy the backup files to my PC periodically as well.

My test log provided some interesting results when executing a full backup including apps and corresponding app data:

1) Of the 102 ASUS BACKUP APP backups...94 of them ran fine and reported satiafactory completion.

2) 7 of the 102 backups reported 1 App failed to backup successfully among the 82 apps available. Of those, 6 of the failures were for Google Earth, and the other 1 was for the ASUS Webstorage App.

3) On 1 occasion among the 102 backups, 2 apps failed to properly back up (Google Earth and TegraZone).

In all cases, any failed apps were highlighted as such in red on the list for easy identification.

This test seems to confirm that there may still be a few ASUS BACKUP APP anomolies and/or app tweaks needed. 92% of the time, the backup ran perfectly. I also ran restore runs on 10 occasions, and all worked fine.

So the lesson learned for me was; Trust, but Verify...when it comes to running backups.
    Last edited by ASUSFAN0001; 04-06-2012 at 06:47 AM.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA WIN 8.1 & ASUS TF101 ANDROID TABLETS

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    961 times
    Well done..

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1541 times
    Nice work.

I also have tracked my backups but consistently have had only one failure, Firefox. I don't have Google Earth installed so can't speak to that but never had a fail on TegraZone or The ASUS WEB app but I don't use that either.

I am doing a backup at the minimum of every other week, again, due to the huge number of app updates.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    723 times
    Do you guys see a need to backup the apps as well as the app data? I guess in doing so you could do a Factory Reset, not allow Google to re-install anything, and then restore everything from the app backup you created and quickly be back to where you were before the Reset. Is this correct?
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    870 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    Do you guys see a need to backup the apps as well as the app data? I guess in doing so you could do a Factory Reset, not allow Google to re-install anything, and then restore everything from the app backup you created and quickly be back to where you were before the Reset. Is this correct?
    Backups can be set with or without the corresponding Data. I choose both, especially in light of being able to restore all of that in the event of a major OS version update.

In addition, I also do a backup with another app that allows single app updates (such as when a new specific app update is released).

I feel warm and fuzzy all over with these.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1541 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    There is a second, really good reason to do both app and data. You have total control over what and when things get restored. I had an issue with a customer's Prime when I was getting it ready for delivery and found that if you do the apps and data in small batches with a restart between batches things go very smoothly.

And for the people who have had problems after a factory reset most auto sync'd the apps back in one fell swoop and ended up in the same place they started.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    870 times
    One last point I omitted....if you have a solid backup, you get a solid restore.

Whenever there were no failures in the BACKUP APP backup process, those files always resulted in a reliable restore. So it's important to verify the backup results at the top of the final screen.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    870 times
    I need to buy some lottery tickets or something....lucky guesses.

A friend of mine had just read this thread and done a backup Wednesday night. Yesterday morning, he inadvertently did a factory full system reset (by accident he claims when he tired to do a regular reset instead) and lost all the installed apps on his Transformer. After doing the Backup App restore, he's 100% back in business.

He claims he'll buy me a beverage next time I see him..but knowing him as well as I do...I'll believe that when I see it.
    leeshor and Bob_of_QF like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there a reason backups are limited to 600 MB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by roginmn View Post
    Is there a reason backups are limited to 600 MB
    Same question here. My "Apps + Data" information is like 650Mb. I would like to backup both, but I haeżve that limitation....
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T 32Gb blue + Mobile dock
    iPod 4G 32Gb iOs 5.1.1 + Untethered Jailbreak
    Blackberry Bold 9700

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads