Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What Makes a Great Game Great?

I've gotten pretty good at modeling in 3ds Max, and I'm gradually learning Unity 3d. They're both great, and surprisingly intuitive applications. I want to start developing for Android (and android alone, iOS has enough of it's own exclusives already), but I have no idea where to start. I've played around with a few different things but haven't started any real project. So, I thought I'd start with public opinion.

Games like Half-Life 2 and Star craft have gone down in history as epic classics, with massive fan bases. I mean hell, look at half-life. Valve gets people camping outside their HQ asking for HL3. Why? Because Half-Life 2 is a damn nice game. But what makes it so? Yeah the story is epic, but if that was the only good part, then it wouldn't be nearly as popular. What do you guys like in a game? What do you hate?

An example of a fail is Earth and Legend. The game sucks halls (cough drops ). But why do people buy it? Because it's got decent graphics for a phone game? Or because they pay people to give them a good review? Who cares, the game sucks.

Keep in mind, it's not like I am officially developing anything, and this is not a request thread for a new game. This is to help me brainstorm ideas for a story, setting, characters, etc. God forbid I make something as bad as Earth and Legend.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    For touchscreen, and small screens, nothing that requires careful aiming like 1st person shooters (HL etc)

Look at the top games on the market, something as simple as Angry Birds is an extremely popular game, such a simple idea too

Addictive is the way to go, not exciting or storyline imo, leave them for the consoles and PCs - something you can play waiting for the bus / in the doctors / at school etc

Best to check out what is in the top 10 on the market to get an idea what will be popular
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Like John Travolta says its the little things. Getting the difficulty level right must be so hard, there's no fun in feeling like you can walk through on auto pilot but at the same time nothing will make people put a game down quicker than feeling like they're walking about in circles not knowing what they should be doing.

If you can get that balance right so that more often than not when you fail you're left with an idea of what to try next you're well on your way to a good game imo.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I really think an RTS would be great for touch controls, like starfront from gameloft. But I also really like fps games. Keep in mind that I'm on a prime, not a smartphone, so I have lots of screen real-estate to work with and also the use of controllers and keyboards.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    To some of us FPS are the only games out there to play. Spending hours at at a a time playing Wolfenstein, Quake, Unreal, Shogo and the Halflife series which are some of the best games ever of all time turned us into "want it all" gamers! We would spend endless amounts of cash to buy the best hardware to push frame rates as high as you could get them. So to answer your question.. to me what make a great game great is the game play. Its one thing to set your game to "god mode" and zip through every level just to say you have completed the game but to move through a map and take your time finding all the little secrets along with learning all the tricks is why developers build games.. in my option!! For example the creators of Shadowgun have done a nice job on game play. The game does glitch is several place but overall its very good! I cant wait for more levels. To have several new FPS that can be played on a TP Tegra3 chip set would be leading edge along with a multiplayer application.. John D. Carmack is rolling over thinking why build games for tablets not PC's.
    Transformer Prime TF201 32Gig+32Gig Micro SD TEGRA 3 with Key Board Dock

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocolyptosaur View Post
    I've gotten pretty good at modeling in 3ds Max, and I'm gradually learning Unity 3d. They're both great, and surprisingly intuitive applications. I want to start developing for Android (and android alone, iOS has enough of it's own exclusives already), but I have no idea where to start. I've played around with a few different things but haven't started any real project. So, I thought I'd start with public opinion.

Games like Half-Life 2 and Star craft have gone down in history as epic classics, with massive fan bases. I mean hell, look at half-life. Valve gets people camping outside their HQ asking for HL3. Why? Because Half-Life 2 is a damn nice game. But what makes it so? Yeah the story is epic, but if that was the only good part, then it wouldn't be nearly as popular. What do you guys like in a game? What do you hate?

An example of a fail is Earth and Legend. The game sucks halls (cough drops ). But why do people buy it? Because it's got decent graphics for a phone game? Or because they pay people to give them a good review? Who cares, the game sucks.

Keep in mind, it's not like I am officially developing anything, and this is not a request thread for a new game. This is to help me brainstorm ideas for a story, setting, characters, etc. God forbid I make something as bad as Earth and Legend.
    A few hundred/thousand man hours, and a new idea would help?

Not everything has been done before, but thinking of what has not been done, and making it attractive and desirable is the key.

But, it could be a new take on Packman, Space Invaders, bla bla, but with a touch screen on a tablet, who knows what the limit is?

PS:- I want 10% os all royalties for the idea OK?

Good luck on your quest!

Have you got past "Hello World" yet?

Only Joking
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    No matter what the platform, what keep me playing a game is a constant feeling of progression and accomplishment.
    What will make me put down a game is if I get stuck and can't progress, whether it be too hard, or just the objective isn't clear.

As was stated, embrace your platform. Leave the console games, on the consoles.
    Good luck!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    Sid Meier is one of the all-time great game designers and one of the most financially successful. I know he once gave an interview and said that he felt the most important things weren't the graphics or how 'fresh' it was, it was simply how much fun it was to play and how simple it was to start playing (and there is a big difference between simple to start and simple to win).

He used that statement in reference to 2 games that he had spent an enormous amount of time developing but which were never published. The first was supposed to be an all-encompassing Civil War game and the other a game about dinosaurs. In both cases, they weren't able to create a game that was both fun & simple to play, so they canned the ideas. Although in the case of the Civil War game, they did eventually release Sid Meier's Gettysburg which covered only the historic battle and not the entire war.

My advice would be to look at the best games on all platforms and try and distill down the common themes that made them good games. Look at your own skill set and interests. Write out a synopsis of the game, maybe sketch some ideas of how it would look, and ask your friends what they think. At least, ask those that you know will be honest and tell you if it sucks.

Ads