Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By leeshor
  • 1 Post By goodintentions
  • 1 Post By Jeffrey
  • 1 Post By goodintentions

Thread: 1st Elimination Round : High-end Smartphone Comparison 2013 part 2

dvdcatalyst

1st Elimination Round : High-end Smartphone Comparison 2013 part 2

The second part of a series of articles documenting my quest for the perfect Galaxy Nexus replacement.

The first part can be found here:

https://www.tools4movies.com/high-end-smartphone-comparison-2013-part-1/

Recap:

My (on contract) Galaxy Nexus is ready to be replaced, and I am looking for a new phone that will stand the test of time (2 years) and do what I need it to do.

Because my work is internet-based, my personal needs are extremely basic. I mainly use it so I am reachable for my wife whenever I am out and about without her, and for entertainment purposes (video/streaming music) whenever I need to wait somewhere for a while. On the go, I do use it for checking work-emails and when the answer doesn't require me typing a lot or include links to the website, I reply to them.

I do have a few casual games on it, but nothing that any current generation has issues with, so anything new will surely be able to handle them just as well.

Since the phone will have to last a while, I am looking at a current/recent generation high-end model. While it doesn't matter much as long as the phone continues to function, it is nice if there is something new, it will be available for it.

The operating system itself is not something I have a preference for. I have always used Android for my smartphones, but with over 30 Android devices in my collection, for my new phone, I might skip over to something different. Looking at the current generation of Android phones, aside from faster processors and higher resolutions, everything seems the same.

Before the Galaxy Nexus I was using a Droid X, and unfortunately, I feel that the Galaxy Nexus was more of a downgrade. While it did include 4G, the battery-drain attached to it resulted in me turning it off. The higher resolution screen is nice, but it just seems that the Droid X was a better build-quality, and overall more fun.

In the first article I listed a few phones that I am considering:

Apple iPhone 5s, Blackberry Z10, Nokia Lumia 9xx or 10xx, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG G2, LG/Google Nexus 5, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z1.

With Blackberry having major issues, I am dropping the Z10 from my considerations. I mentioned it numerous times before, I love the OS, but unfortunately, beyond that, Blackberry hasn't delivered for me, and now it is obvious it never will. If the Z10 appears on eBay or something for a nice price in a few years, I might pick one up for nostalgic reasons, but for now, I'll pass.

The majority of specifications don't matter much to me. As mentioned above, my requirements are pretty basic, and as long as it works, has a good battery life, it will do what I need. I do like to be able to use a memorycard for movies and such, but it is not something I require in a phone.

Samsung Galaxy S4:

Screen: 5", 1920x1080 Super Amoled
    Battery (standby): 320 hours
    MicroSD
    (full detailed specs here: link)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3:

Screen: 5.7", 1920x1080 Super Amoled
    Battery (standby): 528 hours
    MicroSD

HTC One:

Screen: 4.7", 1920x1080 S-LCD
    Battery (standby): 500 hours

LG G2:

Screen: 5.2", 1920x1080 IPS LCD
    Battery (standby): not sure

Google Nexus 5:

Screen: 5", 1920x1080 (likely IPS LCD)
    Battery (standby): unknown at this time

Sony Xperia Z1:

Screen: 5", 1920x1080 TFT
    Battery (standby): 760 hours
    MicroSD

Apple iPhone 5S:

Screen: 4", 1136x640 IPS LCD
    Battery (standby) 240 hours

Nokia Lumia 928:

Screen: 4.5", 1280x768 Amoled
    Battery (standby): 513 hours

First round of drops:

While digging through the specs (and typing them in here), a few phones are already out for me. I'm not dropping these because they are bad phones, because they are not, but they are just not right for my own needs.

Lumia:

I would have loved to make such a drastic switch from Android to Windows Phone, and while the Lumia's have a great quality camera, that seems to be the 2 main reasons. A lack of a memorycard slot by itself isn't that big a deal, but when you include a camera with MegaPixels in the dual-digits (41 for the Lumia 1020, 21 for the Lumia 929), it becomes mandatory in my opinion.

Galaxy Note 3:

While I like the battery life of the Galaxy Note 3, the device itself is too large in size for me. I have plenty of tablets to use, including a Galaxy Note 10.1, and while an "inbetweener" would partially eliminate the need for using a tablet, carrying something that size with me is a bit too much.

LG G2 + Nexus 5

I was actually excited about this phone after the first reviews I read, but they didn't address the battery. After doing a bit more digging, it appears to be a bit unreliable under different scenarios, so for that reason, I am excluding this one.

Based on the limited information regarding the Nexus 5 at this time, but with many rumors pointing towards that the Nexus 5 is based on the G2 and the smaller battery, I am excluding the Nexus 5 as well. However, if the phone does turn out quite different from the G2, I will surely look at it again.

Remaining:

After the first round, I'm left with the Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z1 and the Apple iPhone 5S.

No conclusion yet, but after today, I am leaning towards the HTC One Google Play Edition. For all 4, I'll have to visit the store and actually play with them a bit, but I like the size, build material and the speakers on the HTC One a lot. The battery life seems to be pretty good as well, but of course this always differs from what is actually reported by the manufacturer.

The Galaxy S4 is also quite interesting, and considering that the Galaxy S2 is still being offered, it will surely last a few more years, but I'm not too fond of the plastic material.

I like the Xperia Z1 as well, but Sony always lags behind a bit when it comes to updates, and has a habit of not treating its customers that well. The phone itself, especially with that nice a battery life seems to be perfect though.

The iPhone 5S is pretty, and since I don't use any Digital stores for my video content (iTunes/Google Play) switching will not affect me in terms of my media library. It does bring a different operating system from what I have been using, so if I do pick this as a phone, it will provide something fresh instead of familiar, but it lags behind a bit for me. Lower resolution than the rest, big hype over a 64bit processor, something that doesn't matter at all at this point in time.

Next up, a visit to the store to actually play with the remainder, where possible. Of course the Google Play edition of the HTC One is not available at the local store, but I should be able to get a feel for the device physically though.

See you next time,

Sincerely,

Mitch

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Have you looked at the Lumina 8xx? Almost same specs as the 9xx but has the micro sdcard expansion slot. Mine has a 64 gb card inside. I love it.
    dvdcatalyst likes this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Great job Mitch..
    dvdcatalyst likes this.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Have you looked at the Lumina 8xx? Almost same specs as the 9xx but has the micro sdcard expansion slot. Mine has a 64 gb card inside. I love it.
    Thanks for the suggestion

I didn't look at that one, but will try and get a hold of one at the store and see how it holds up.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion

I didn't look at that one, but will try and get a hold of one at the store and see how it holds up.
    I've compared my 810 with the 9xx and 10xx and mine is definitely comparable to those. Unfortunately, the 8xx models have been discontinued. I suspect that they discontinued it to make the lumia series more like the iphone, which is a shame.

Read the reviews for the 810 on amazon. Almost everyone with that phone loves it. It is clocked at 1.5ghz. If you're willing to do some work, you can crank it up a little more. It is definitely the most snappy phone I've ever had. Way better than my s3.
    dvdcatalyst likes this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links