Thread: Asus' strategy vs Apple's

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    465 times

Asus' strategy vs Apple's

Apple nowadays have the habit of putting everything they can muster into single product promotions. The ipod, iphone, ipad, macbook, etc. When they present a product, they present only that product and sells it as a standalone. Reminds me of what the American generals wanted to do in the western front in WW2. They wanted an all powerful push in one area and then go straight to Berlin.

Asus, on the other hand, took a multi-front approach, much more like the Brits in WW2. The CEO of asus presented half a dozen products on announcement date of the TF. Now that the TF proved to be the most popular of what they put out, it seems that they are focusing more on the TF.

Which strategy do you think is better? We all know apple ipad outsold the transformer 20 to 1. But that's mostly because of apple's huge ad campaign (a quarter of a billion bucks) and the status symbol that comes with having an ipad. So, let's not bring those numbers up to say that apple's trategy is better.

Even this incoming official announcement of the TF prime, the chairman of asus will still announce several different products, not just the prime. Multi-front approach rather than an all powerful punch.

What do you think?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    I assume you mean better from the end user's perspective, right?

From my perspective as an end user, I prefer the multiple product approach because it gives me more options. I can more likely find a product that more closely suits my exact needs, rather than having to adapt to the product that is available.

Does the multiple product approach mean each product is a little less polished? Maybe, but it doesn't have to be that way. Besides, that is a price I am willing to pay in order to have a product that suits my needs better.
    Monet likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    22 times
    I think ASUS is doing it exactly right. I say this because the first order decision a consumer makes when wanting a tablet is typically "iPad" versus "not an iPad". THEN, the decision, if "Not an iPad", turns to "which tablet that is not an iPad do I get"? I believe this is true for every gadget that is an iSomething. Laptop - Apple or PC or something even more obscure. Desktop - Apple, PC, etc.; So that leaves Apple a specialty brand in the digital market while anything NOT an apple is more like a commodity. Android tablets definitely behave like a commodity because within Android, you have a great deal of generic choice and price (given a set of feature requirements are met) is probably one of, if not THE, major factor in the buyer's decision process. ASUS is competing against iCrap definitely, but not one-to-one, more like competing within Android against iCrap. Asus is really more in competition with other "commodity" tablets (android and at one time, Web OS).

So, when playing the commodity game, first put out your best looking wares with the best price offering. Then put your commodities all over the world so they are easy to get.

So, I think Asus is doing it right.

Oh, and yeah, iPad outsold the TF, but more Android and Web OS (not an iPad pad!) tablets were sold than iPads altogether.
    Last edited by Auspex; 11-08-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    133 times
    Where do you get that more Android and WebOS tablets were sold than iPads? I haven't seen any articles stating that.

Google admitted there are 6 million Android tablets "out there"......Apple sold something like 30 million iPad 2's alone. Android has definitely overtaken Apple when it comes to phones.....but they've got a *long* way to go to even "break even" on tablet sales.

I'm not saying that to trash Android, because I *am* very pleased with my first experience with the OS. It's just nowhere near catching up to iOS in the tablet world.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    870 times
    Apple's strategy is actually quite simple.

Use other people's ideas...dust them off, calim them as your own "innovation", then market it to death.

Then charge 30% or more additional markup (on top of nromal retail pricing) on all products and services based on sticking an apple logo on it. If anyone asks about any product needs that Apple doesn't provide, just tell them they don't really need it (the Steve Jobs explanation).

Oh yeah....and order 55-gallon drums of Apple-flavored Kool-aid...because there's a big market out there of folks who love to drink it.

Its worked for years and its been quite profitable.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    I think both Apple and Asus use the best strategy for their product.
    Apple was first in mass producing the likes of touch based phones / tablets. What better way to convince the public than throw the product in bulk on the, at that point non-excisting, market while the opposition still ponders about their next move.
    Apple is like Ford in the old days. You can have a tablet to your liking, as long as it's na Apple.
    For a new product without competition that's the way to succes.

For Asus the savest way was to bet on a few different horses. If some of them fail, no real harm done, if the others do finish.
    And because of that strategy they created their own little market by offering something none of the competitors offered.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    723 times
    Well I'm a little confused on this thread myself as it seems like the OP is saying that when the TF was announced that Asus had a lot of similar products to offer while Apple only offered the ipad. If I'm not mistaken the TF didn't even come out with a 3G version for quite a while. I'm confused as to what this huge product line of Asus was as compared to Apple's.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    723 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Apple's strategy is actually quite simple.

Use other people's ideas...dust them off, calim them as your own "innovation", then market it to death.

Then charge 30% or more additional markup (on top of nromal retail pricing) on all products and services based on sticking an apple logo on it. If anyone asks about any product needs that Apple doesn't provide, just tell them they don't really need it (the Steve Jobs explanation).

Oh yeah....and order 55-gallon drums of Apple-flavored Kool-aid...because there's a big market out there of folks who love to drink it.

Its worked for years and its been quite profitable.
    Wasn't Apple first in the tablet market, atleast with a successful unit, the ipad 1? It seems to me that asus, definately no leader in the field here is copying some ideas huh? Maybe I'm wrong but I feel very confident in that Apple at the least was first to market a very successful tablet called the ipad almost 2 years ago and it worked right out of the box as it was intended to work.

Knock Apple all you want, I know this is a TF forum but recognize that without the ipad there is probably a 95% chance that none of us would have a TF today. Apple lead the way like it or not and all tablets are still trying to be the "ipad killer"
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    870 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    Well I'm a little confused on this thread myself as it seems like the OP is saying that when the TF was announced that Asus had a lot of similar products to offer while Apple only offered the ipad. If I'm not mistaken the TF didn't even come out with a 3G version for quite a while. I'm confused as to what this huge product line of Asus was as compared to Apple's.
    It appears the OP was perhaps talking strategy, as opposed to specific products.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    723 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    It appears the OP was perhaps talking strategy, as opposed to specific products.
    haha then this thread is outta my league as I have no clue about stuff that isn't visable to me in Best Buy.
    Current Devices:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads