Thread: Frederuco's corner: iOS vs Android

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    My apologies for not addressing the to major failings of Android tablets. I have never felt like I personally had these issues, so that is why I probably omitted them.

I have 2 cases for my TF101, and the only apps I have ever had an issue with compatibility are Gameloft Games.
    This may vary according to which country you're in - here in NZ stores you'll see a vast preponderance of iPad accessories, typically followed by Acer accessories and very little else - if it's different in your part of the world then you're fortunate.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Like many Apple/Android comparisons, I'm left with the feeling that you haven't addressed the two major failings of Android devices:-

i) The 'perfect' app for your needs, that your mate has running on his Android tablet, may not work properly on yours due to some hardware or firmware differences

ii) Because there are so many form factors in the Android tablet world it can be very hard to find accessories.
    Never had the slightest problem finding any app I"ve ever needed (I have more than 140, but only 64 installed - the others get too little use to keep them installed).

As for accessories...I have a backup charger and cable, mini HDMI-to-HDMI cable, Caseen tablet case, and multiple USB cables and numerous micro and regular SD cards.

Having recently gone to the Consumer Electronics Show and seen more than 500 different iPhone case sellers there...I'd say the reality is there are simply too many options with iOS devices - most of which are overly costly and many are never needed.

There are also millions of iOS apps, but more than 65% are games and another 20% redundant apps. Add in the fact that Apple rakes in $$$ on every one of them...and you can see how iOS users get taken to the financial cleaners owning their hardware. Apple makes more $$$ from iTunes by nickel-and-diming people like crazy that they do profits on their hardware.

I can also share one more reality - I've actually found more than 5 cases where I had an app that actually get's used for a valuable purpose...and there is no such app for the iOS platform.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    I can also share one more reality - I've actually found more than 5 cases where I had an app that actually get's used for a valuable purpose...and there is no such app for the iOS platform.
    Hmm - I can count 10 on my iPhone which I consider to be valuable to me - and that's not any of the pre-loaded ones - it's actually very similar to the number of regularly used apps on my TF.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post

One of our users wanted to hear my thoughts on iOS vs Android, so here are my thoughts on this hot-button topic. You can feel free to discuss amongst yourselves, however do remember to keep it polite and within the forum guidelines.

I am not going to even go into comparing to Blackberry or Windows Phones, that is a completely different ball game.

Remember, ............ have to turn to forums to learn how to do things. I have a friend who has had an iPhone since the first one. It was not until I posted a screenshot with my iPhone 4 that he asked how to take a screenshot. He had no clue this was an option. If the companies made some better How-To videos and manuals, we would not have to turn to forums to learn how to check our email, or even turn on the device and charge it.

And that is all I have to say about that.
    Add me into the list of moderators who had an iPhone. I used it for two years. Unfortunately, I found it far too limited compared to my Blackberry. In making the switch, I gained the ability to get lots of apps, a nice big screen, a better browser, a much better device for watching videos, but one with far inferior battery life, an e-mail service that, frankly, sucks, lost the ability to do file transfers over Bluetooth (iPhone can do it with images, and that's about it), and a far less robust build, even if it was made of "premium" materials.

Ask a mechanical engineer, and they will tell you glass is NOT a robust material to build a portable device out of. It sure looks pretty, but it's not going to last.

Of course, Blackberry didn't have a 10" tablet, so I tried the TF101, and realized how much more I preferred Android over iOS....and this was on Honeycomb, which wasn't a great version of the OS. On Jellybean, there's no comparison. The *only* thing I prefer about iOS is the selection of some apps (ie. legally getting TV for free is way more difficult on Android than on iOS, where most TV stations have an iOS app that lets you watch their programming free of charge, legally), and the battery life.

As to Frederuco's original post, I'll point out that one point, regarding voice guided mapping, is incorrect. Yes, Apple's new maps on iOS 6 are *terrible*.....mostly if you live outside the USA. But they're not the only option. Google Maps are back on the platform, WITH voice navigation now, and more features, and a better looking UI than the one they've provided for Android (I bet that changes in Key Lime Pie). But you're still stuck with the fact that you can't change the defaults....so unless you're really careful how you use the device (or you jailbreak it) you have to take 3x as long to use the features.

I hope Google gets the battery life issue fixed this time around. I've done some reading, and it sounds like it's entirely in their court. Much of the difference in battery life comes down to sleep time. On the iPhone, some apps can check for data while sleeping...but everything goes through a single connection. On Android, some apps use the core Google service to check, but some others run a second proprietary service, which means they're doubling the drain on the battery. And this leaves things vulnerable for specific apps that have been poorly coded to continue drawing data down even when not needed.

Google's catching up on apps, and will likely pass iOS this year. I know in Canada, I've finally seen the first TV app, from CityTV arrive, and it works really well. I hope the other TV networks make similar efforts.

PAB5204
    Last edited by PAB5204; 02-11-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Never had the slightest problem finding any app I"ve ever needed (I have more than 140, but only 64 installed - the others get too little use to keep them installed).

I can't quite agree with you here. Yes, there is far too much of a focus on games with iOS. The stats I've read say that on iPad, 70% of user activity is with games.

In terms of apps used for real purposes on iOS, I have one that scans business cards and puts the person's info into my contact db, ones like Poynt for finding stuff, one for tracking mileage driven for work (Mileage Bug??), apps to find my car when I've parked downtown (which rarely work as the GPS gets location wrong all the time), etc. etc.

If you look past Angry Birds, both iOS and Android have useful apps.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    4) iOS loves batteries...so much so that their devices eat battery power like it's candy. Android supports better battery management.
    Am I downloading the wrong apps, or what? I haven't found a single Android device (so far TF101, TF700, or GS3) with battery life approaching my iPhone or iPad. They just don't. The TF101 sucked down juice whether it was on or off......even powered all the way down, it could eat 20% battery life while turned off (ie. after a power down, and requiring a full boot up to get it back on.....not sleep mode). My TF700, with screen on, might get 5-6 hours surfing the web, and will burn 1-1.5% battery life per hour while sleeping.....the lowest I got it is 1% per 3 hours. My GS3 uses about 15%-20% power when screen is on, set at maybe 25% brightness, and, with battery management, another 1.5% per hour, even if sleeping.

I love my Android devices, but not because their battery life is great. I've tried Better Battery Stats, GSAM, Green Power, another battery saver app, as well as Carat, and they haven't made much difference.

I'm not complaining about Android.....I love my devices, but they don't have the eternal sleep capabilities of iOS devices where, with my iPad 4, I can leave my iPad sleeping in my bag over the weekend after leaving work, come back to it, and find it's lost about 1% every 15 hours WHILE POWERED ON. And that's WITH an LTE antenna.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Smartphones are actually hybrids of PDA's. The first was designed by IBM 20 years ago and branded Simon. IBM just never realized it's future potential.

Apple has never created anything. They took old ideas made them better and knew how to market them.
    The same can be said for a lot of inventions though. How many commercial successes were either failures by another company first, or something that someone else developed, but didn't see a market for?

I agree Apple didn't create either Smartphones or Tablets.....or touch screens, or slide to unlock, notifications pull downs, or rectangles or squares, contrary to what they claim. But they *did* take an idea someone else developed, and figure out how to make it into a popular, mass market device that sold like hotcakes. They deserve credit for that.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonygua View Post
    The last real thing Apple Created was the Apple II Created by no other than the Great Woz! I never understood why Jobs got all the credit.
    Jobs was a fantastic salesman and marketer. That's why.

And I didn't like the guy, but I can respect that aspect of him.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Like many Apple/Android comparisons, I'm left with the feeling that you haven't addressed the two major failings of Android devices:-

i) The 'perfect' app for your needs, that your mate has running on his Android tablet, may not work properly on yours due to some hardware or firmware differences

ii) Because there are so many form factors in the Android tablet world it can be very hard to find accessories.
    Accessories are around.....but you're right.....if you want to buy retail instead of online, they can be hard to find. I know I can find accessories for my Infinity, but if I want to check them out before buying, there's literally NOWHERE in my entire city, where I can buy so much as a screen protector. Many local stores sell the Infinity itself, but no cases, no screen protectors, nothing.

If I don't mind taking a chance, lots of stuff is available via Amazon and other online sellers.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    Jobs was a fantastic salesman and marketer. That's why.

And I didn't like the guy, but I can respect that aspect of him.

PAB5204
    I dont like him either, but certainly very good at what he did, and Apple are lost without him

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links