Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Interesting read Fred - you put a lot of time into that...

My 2p's worth... well, to me, the 2 most important things about Apple/iOS are...
    1. They effectively "created" the current smartphone & tablet revolution that has taken place - would Android Smartphones & tablets exist if the iPhone & iPad had not been launched onto the market? We'll never know for sure, but Apple certainly broke new territory with the first iterations of their idevices.
    The same can be said about IBM and the PC, and look where IBM is today. When a company does not evolve its pioneering concepts to meet changing consumer desires, they often do not fare well.

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    82 times

Re: Frederuco's corner: iOS vs Android

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Smartphones are actually hybrids of PDA's. The first was designed by IBM 20 years ago and branded Simon. IBM just never realized it's future potential.

Apple has never created anything. They took old ideas made them better and knew how to market them.
    Jeffrey,
    You are apparently too young to recognize or know who created windows with pull down menus. Hint, it was not a guy named Gates, and Microsoft labored behind the leader in windows systems. And, if it had not been for IBM's hold on the business sector of our economy (IBM stands for International Business Machines), you may have seen a computer named, you got it, Apple lead the way in personal computers. It and its Mac cousin did do very well in the education sector of our society.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaUte View Post
    Jeffrey,
    You are apparently too young to recognize or know who created windows with pull down menus. Hint, it was not a guy named Gates, and Microsoft labored behind the leader in windows systems. And, if it had not been for IBM's hold on the business sector of our economy (IBM stands for International Business Machines), you may have seen a computer named, you got it, Apple lead the way in personal computers. It and its Mac cousin did do very well in the education sector of our society.

However his point is still valid, Jobs basically took the entire idea for Macs OS from Xerox, who put some of the greatest minds of the time together to come up with the computer of the future. This was Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center). Funny enough The execs at Xerox couldn't fathom something in the office called a mouse, so they pretty much opened the door for jobs to come in and see everything they were doing. PARC came up with GUI, Laser Printers, Post Script, WYSIWYG, Mouse, Ethernet, and a few others.

The last real thing Apple Created was the Apple II Created by no other than the Great Woz! I never understood why Jobs got all the credit.
    Asus TF101 16G (B50K) + Dock (B80K)
    ICS -

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    82 times

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator47 View Post
    The same can be said about IBM and the PC, and look where IBM is today. When a company does not evolve its pioneering concepts to meet changing consumer desires, they often do not fare well.
    Aviator47,
    I guess I will have to give another lesson in history. IBM did not pioneer the PC. That was done by gurus in their garages using an 8008 chip, then a 8080 chip and then an 8086 chip that were made by Intel and not IBM. In the late 60's the Board at IBM actually ordered all work being done on creating small computers that could be held on a desk or table to cease. At that time they directed that all future work at IBM be directed at mainframe computers. One of the first table top or desk top computer came from Radio Shack using one of those 8 bit chips, the 8008. Other computers came along including HP (which up until that time had been known for making an advanced calculator used by scientists). Another leader in table top computers was Packard Bell. Because of IBM's business leadership (and their indeed smart decision to call their computer a PC), they were well received and advertised as well as marveled at by the media. Other manufactures made the mistake of saying that they were PC clones. As I was told later by an Officer at IBM, IBM actually cloned the earlier machines manufactured by others not the other way around. IBM did not even have adequate software. They took an operating system from a kid named Bill Gates and they suggested that purchasers of the PC use a word processing program known as Word Perfect. Had it not been for IBM cloning other producers (of both hardware and software), Bill Gates may have succumbed to an operating system that featured windows with pull down menus. Guess what early computers had such an operating system. You got it, if you said Apple and its cousin Mac. Gates was forced to develop his Windows operating system which took the place of his original operating system which was called DOS. Do you know what DOS stood for? I will allow you to guess if you don't or to tell us if you do. I can't give everything away without leaving a little bit of mystery. IBM did not pioneer any part of the PC, and ultimately they even decided to quit cloning small computers and sold out to Lenovo. Now you know the story.

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    82 times

Quote Originally Posted by tonygua View Post
    However his point is still valid, Jobs basically took the entire idea for Macs OS from Xerox, who put some of the greatest minds of the time together to come up with the computer of the future. This was Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center). Funny enough The execs at Xerox couldn't fathom something in the office called a mouse, so they pretty much opened the door for jobs to come in and see everything they were doing. PARC came up with GUI, Laser Printers, Post Script, WYSIWYG, Mouse, Ethernet, and a few others.

The last real thing Apple Created was the Apple II Created by no other than the Great Woz! I never understood why Jobs got all the credit.
    Tonygua,
    You have brought up old memories. I had truthfully forgotten about PARC. I was associated with the mass storage team at IBM (humongous storage systems that are thankfully a part of our past), and as such have IBM'itis when I think back on things. It is well accepted, however, that Apple did the innovative work in (1) direct manipulation of widgets; (2) menu bars; (3) pull-down menus; (4) Trash (Microsoft adopted this as Recycle Bin in Windows 95); and (5) overlapping windows. The windows environment developed by Apple certainly forced Gates and company to replace its DOS operating system with Windows.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Like many Apple/Android comparisons, I'm left with the feeling that you haven't addressed the two major failings of Android devices:-

i) The 'perfect' app for your needs, that your mate has running on his Android tablet, may not work properly on yours due to some hardware or firmware differences

ii) Because there are so many form factors in the Android tablet world it can be very hard to find accessories.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Like many Apple/Android comparisons, I'm left with the feeling that you haven't addressed the two major failings of Android devices:-

i) The 'perfect' app for your needs, that your mate has running on his Android tablet, may not work properly on yours due to some hardware or firmware differences

ii) Because there are so many form factors in the Android tablet world it can be very hard to find accessories.
    Ive had no problem with either of these to be honest, I had more problems with apps not being compatible with my iPad 1, only about a year after I purchased it, and my iPod Touch had a similar problem

I've also had no problem finding any accessories I need, it has a USB port and micro HDMI, which make it compatible with just about anything without having to pay 30 for a tiny adapter

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post

My apologies for not addressing the to major failings of Android tablets. I have never felt like I personally had these issues, so that is why I probably omitted them.

I have 2 cases for my TF101, and the only apps I have ever had an issue with compatibility are Gameloft Games.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    38 times
    Despite of the bugs in Android and some problems I had with my TF101 and have with my Padfone, I wouldn't trade for an iDevice.
    My wife has a Samsung S2 and she uses it for Facebook, Twitter, mail and surfing (and calling ofcourse). But she also uses an iPad Mini I got as a Christmas present from my work. I never use it. Although it handles movies on the web (YouTube and other sites that have movies), better than my Padfone. My Padfone sometimes crashes when watching Flash movies. But on the other hand, I can tweak everything I like and can use any file format I like on my Padfone.

iPad only took ideas and improved them.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links