Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times

New Smart owner

Hi,

I've recently purchased a new Vivo Smart - a good deal, run out stock at close to retailer's cost and a two year extended warranty thrown in for free. So far I'm quite impressed with the device, although it's not intended to be my daily use tablet - that post is held for the foreseeable future by my TF101 (three years old, rooted and running KitKat 4.4 2, still going strong).

My main reason for purchasing the Vivo is to use it to remotely control of one of my amateur radio transceivers (Yaesu FT-817, combined with, strangely enough, FT817-Commander) - I finally got all this working last night, despite the fact that the software concerned has a reputation for not working on Win7, 8 or 8.1. The only problem I had was that I needed to replace the stock driver for my USB-to-serial cable with an older driver version written for Vista, but I'd had to do this for my Win8.1 laptop, so it was a comparatively easy fix.

The primary use for this combination will be in the car, so I can control the radio from next to the instrument cluster on a decent sized screen rather than from somewhere below my left armpit - note to killjoys: this is legal where I live, I'm not interested in hearing about how it's not permitted in California or whatever. It will also make it possible for my wife, who isn't into radio as a hobby, to change frequencies, etc., for me when travelling, as she can push labelled buttons on a screen but doesn't know how to operate the arcane menu system on the radio itself.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Most of this is over my head...but it sounds like you have been busy! What size screen does that tablet have? Just curios as to the screen to dashboard ratio.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    It's a 10" screen, but the vehicle I'm using it in has the top of the dash designed so most of the tablet will be able to sit below the bottom of the windscreen.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links