Thread: My new tablet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times

My new tablet.

Since I seem to be the first one to post on this site for Vivo-tab Smart. I would like to say I am extremely happy with my choice of tablets. I'm sure I will be back soon with a comment or question. I am writing this in longhand which I have never done before. It sure makes it easier than trying to type on screen. Especially since I'm a touch typist and I cant type with one finger.

rscheller
    My employer just proved me a refurbished Asus VivoTab Smart 10.1" ME400C.

As a 6 month user of the Asus T100, that I always use in tablet mode... I'm pretty familiar with the Windows tablet paradigm but if needed, I'll be watching this forum and making any comments as my experiences provide.
    Last edited by rscheller; 04-02-2014 at 01:56 PM.

rscheller
    Time to add some commentary about the ME400C.

So far it's been great. It took me about 4-5 hours to take it from box stock Windows 8 up to Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store and then on to Windows 8.1.1 (aka update 1). Plus all the dozens and dozens of Windows updates along the way.

This tablet for my use is exactly like my T100, that I use about 99% of the time as a tablet, with the one difference being that the Windows logo along the bottom center border of the ME400C actually does something whereas on the T100 it doesn't. Also of course if needed, the T100 has a full docking QWERTY keyboard which would be an advantage in my mind for someone who does a lot of serious typing or data entry. But both these tablet screens are really IMHO too small to do anything more serious than web browsing, email, facebook, netflix, hulu+, amazon, etc. and the occasional small Word or Excel document.

If I had it to do over again, the only thing I'd change is, I would've advised my employer to get the version of the ME400C that comes with MS Office Home & Student... although since it's a work device, that sort of doesn't follow the Home/Student use requirement of the license.

I can also say if you read about all the users problems with the T100 here at asus-transformer-book-t100 it seems to me the ME400C is far more solid than the T100 although I've had very little problems with my T100 except back in January, I did have to do a full reset of Windows because something got messed up.

Price wise, the T100 is the better value but if you don't need the docking keyboard of the T100, you can shop around and save some money.
    Last edited by rscheller; 05-19-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

I just got my ME400C yesterday (refurbed from Newegg for $160). I have had 2 android tablets and while 99% of the time they are great but there are those times when things just don't work right
    or it's like your trying to do something with one hand tied behind your back. I'm hoping the ME400 will fill that gap.

A coupe a questions (of many to come I'm sure). What is the process to upgrade to Win 8.1 and how can you stop it from booting to the screen with the Seattle space needle
    and boot directly to the page with tiles?

Oh, one other thing, I can't seem to get it to recognize my Gmail login (setting up the email tile). I fill in the login info. and when I submit it it just goes back with a prompt
    to enter my email again. I KNOW the information is correct. Anyone have any insight as to what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. found the Win 8 update ...:-)
    Last edited by Sundance2014; 07-12-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Had to return my MC400C. did the Asus updates and then
    attempted to do the Windows updates (not to 8.1 just the updates that
    were detected). Downloaded OK and started to install updates. went OK
    and told me to restart and once it restarted it started to configure Windows
    but failed part way and said to restart and I did. Went to a screen saying it was
    reverting the setting and that screen never went away (waited a day and a half).
    Shut it down to send it back and for the hell of it restarted it and the same screen
    was there.

I'm exchanging it ...hope the next one works right and I can get it upgraded to Win 8.1.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    So, I'm seriously exploring the VivoTab Smart 10.1 as a good, cheap starter option for my wife, largely for three reasons: 1) the low price point; 2) the 8 MP rear facing camera (and accompanying Asus app); and 3) the (Wacom?) pressure sensitive screen and stylus.

Here are some of my concerns that I'm hoping someone can speak to:
    1) Will the slow-ish Atom processor be a problem if my wife is trying to use the tab to draw/paint, etc.? Maybe I should shell out more for a Win 8.1 Tab with 4+ gig of RAM or a Samsung tab that might run faster?
    2) Why does it seem that not too many people are active here on the VivoTab Smart portion of the forum is not very active at all? Is this thing selling poorly, and if so, why? Not that this is a deal breaker, but if no cars are in the parking lot of the restaurant on Saturday evening, that usually tells you something about the quality of the food, if you see what I'm getting at.
    3) Sundance's experience is not encouraging (although, to be fair, she/he was working with a refurbished device, caveat emptor).
    Can anyone speak to any of these concerns (especially the first)?
    Thanks in advance!
    I suppose I have other concerns, but if

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi HJKeener,

Here is a little update. My 2nd Vivi Tab worked and is working great. I'm very happy with it and can't complain considering I paid less that 150 bucks for it.
    I am also very happy with Windows 8.1, I may never own an Android tablet again. I have found there isn't much I can't do on it, that being said I don't think it would run
    any high powered art or photo programs (Photoshop and the likes) but I'm sure it would do find with simple photo and art programs. The only down side I would
    say is when you first set it up. It took about 5 hours to download and install the Windows up dates from 8.0 to 8.1 ..but you only have to do that once and all the
    subsequent updates went fast or in the back ground and I didn't even know till I shut down and got a message saying updates were being installed.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    Thanks, Steve! I agree that I like my Win 8.1 device (T100Ta) much better than the Android device I've used. But that was a Nook HD+ running Android 4.0, so I don't really have a fully informed and up-to-date opinion on that matter.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    I'll keep my eye out for refurbished models.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links