Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times

VivoTab does not wake up

Hi,

I have the VivoTab a couple of weeks now and I am glad to have the thing. Right choice.

The only thing left to solve is the machine not waking up 2 or 3 times a day. Pressing the powerbutton does nothing then. This happens when the machine is in sleep for longer than - hard to tell - an hour maybe. The only way getting it on again is pressing the power button for a couple of seconds to really turn it off and start it again from scratch.

This issue makes the device not really reliable.

Any help appreciated

Thanks,
    Raimund

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone have an idea on this?

Thanks,
    Raimund

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    It is disheartening to see Asus still hasn't solved this issue. I bought a tf810 back in January and found this problem. I later sold it and bought an hp envy x2. The x2 also had the sleep of death problem. But in march hp sent out an update that solved this issue.

I have not restarted my x2 for 2 weeks now. No sleep of death.

It took me migrating to hp to see how lacking asus's support has been. Asus makes you pay for shipping when you have a warranty claim. HP sent me a box with overnight label. HP has people (several) monitor the various forums and answer questions. Asus has 1, Tien, and he/she rarely ever says anything anymore. The hinge design in the x2 is flawless. No wobbling at all even after 8 months that I've been using the x2. The tf810 wobbles like crazy.

What I don't get is this. The x2 has full meta plate in the back. No WiFi problem. How come the tf200 had this problem with a full metal plate?
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    HP has people (several) monitor the various forums and answer questions. Asus has 1, Tien, and he/she rarely ever says anything anymore.
    We now have 2 Asus Reps here at our forum that can be PM'd with questions or problems. Here is a recent thread about Tien and Fred:New Asus representative!

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    We now have 2 Asus Reps here at our forum that can be PM'd with questions or problems. Here is a recent thread about Tien and Fred:New Asus representative!
    This is another thing I wanted to say but was too lazy to type it out without the keyboard dock. So, now that I have it attached to the keyboard dock...

The HP people that monitor and answer questions are not being paid to do so. They are HP employees that participate on the various forums. And they talk like honest to god people.

Sometimes, you can catch frustration in their posts. Sometimes, you can see happiness and other emotions in their messages.

The HP envy x2 had a problem with random letters being inserted when you speed type, which I do. I remember everyone was talking about it in the hp forums. And various HP employees were also talking about it trying to figure out what was wrong.

Then finally the problem was solved and a bios upgrade was distributed. It was given via internal link to us by various HP employees with phrases like "yay we solved it" and "we got it working, could you guys please test this new version out to see if we really solved it?"

The point is we get a lot more insider info from these guys.

Tien and Fred sound like every message that they make they have to send it through 5 layers of PR proof reads and the end result is nothing more than a vague very polite, robot-like string of phrases that don't really address anything specifically. You know, like those automated messages you get after you've talked to someone on the phone.

I worked as a telemarketer for a while years ago. Back then I always got more positive results from people if I just talked to them directly person to person than reading off a computer monitor. People are turned off by over-politeness and robot-like responses. They almost sound like copied and pasted phrases (not accusing anyone of anything here *ahem*).

When people who use my apps email me to report bugs or to ask questions, I don't copy and paste cookie cutter responses. I reply with my sincerest self and try to resolve their issue.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your comments.

I was thinking about getting the HP as well. Acer and Lenovo do offer also interesting alternatives but the specs of the VivoTab looked better. Next time I will rather do some sacrifices on the specs and go for a machine of the well settled manufacturers a well proven support.

I am still hoping one of the Asus guys comes along with some helpful information.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raandree View Post
    Thanks for your comments.

I was thinking about getting the HP as well. Acer and Lenovo do offer also interesting alternatives but the specs of the VivoTab looked better. Next time I will rather do some sacrifices on the specs and go for a machine of the well settled manufacturers a well proven support.

I am still hoping one of the Asus guys comes along with some helpful information.
    Don't get me wrong. The hp envy x2 isn't perfect by any means. HP decided to go with a small company for their active stylus for the x2. Unfortunately, that company went belly up right after the x2 was released. So, now we ain't got no active stylus for this device :-( The x2 has the built in active stylus support, but the stylus itself isn't being built at all because the parent company of this technology is dead.

There is currently a gathering of evidence and participation in a class action lawsuit about this, actually. I've provided the attorneys with what I have, as I'm sure many others have as well.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times
    Little update:
    I have opened a support Case with Asus and the support technician didn't know anything about this problem (even declined that it is something happening more often) and didn't know anything about upcoming releases of drivers as well. After all this guy helped less than a 10 minute look in the internet forums.

So I am sending the device back to Asus. I am curious how long it will take and to get it back.

I doubt it is a hardware issue and I am interested in what they are going to “repair”.

-Raimund

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Unlike the HP people who monitor their forums, I am an actual Asus employee who do happen to have different job functions aside from monitoring one specific forum. I have a whole department to manage, and unfortunately, I can't spend all day on here (although I wish I could). I do get alerted when I receive PMs on here and I do my best to check them. Last I checked, I did not get any PMs from you goodintentions, nor from anybody trying to report this specific issue. I actually have not had any PMs regarding any of our Windows products since the whole phantom touch issue.

I assure you that the only proof reading comes from me to make sure my spelling is correct. Feel free to look at any of my past responses and let me know if they sound canned, or if they sound like a PR person in marketing wrote. I sure hope that copy and paste comment was not for me .

The whole point of us being here and other forum communities is to provide a presence and another avenue for you guys to get in touch with us. If there are big announcements or known issues with known fixes out there, we will spread the word - take a look at our history. Even if we don't actively participate, we do collect a huge amount of data regarding potential issues and current issues. Raandree - you issue was actually reported to HQ already (back on the 28th). We send weekly lists. Some are labeled as isolated incidents where the unit is defective, some get fixed, and some we wait. Point is, nobody who likes their job and company will freely announce of known issues with their products. It's just foolish.

I assure you that we try our best, though. Online, in the forums, and through social media is where you will find the least canned responses from us. If Fred is not being responsive, please let me know and I will look into it.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raandree View Post
    Little update:
    I have opened a support Case with Asus and the support technician didn't know anything about this problem (even declined that it is something happening more often) and didn't know anything about upcoming releases of drivers as well. After all this guy helped less than a 10 minute look in the internet forums.

So I am sending the device back to Asus. I am curious how long it will take and to get it back.

I doubt it is a hardware issue and I am interested in what they are going to “repair”.

-Raimund
    Having worked in tech support, I can tell you that it is standard practice for tech support to deny knowing about a problem, especially when it is widespread. Remember how long it took us to get Asus to admit the gps and WiFi problem on the tf200? Why pretend this is the first they've heard of it? To minimize the problem.

When I had the vivotab, my girlfriend at the time also bought one from a completely different place. Both had the sleep of death problem. A simple search on the internet shows up people's complaints about this all over the place. I find it hard to believe the tech support never heard of this.

Just saying. Not all of us are tech illiterates. Some of us actually work in the industry.

Edit.

And when someone reports a bug in one of my apps, I take it personally. I won't rest until I track down the bug and fix it. I know another dev who does the same. We take pride in our apps.

Take it for what its worth. When I had the vivotab back in January, it had the sleep of death. This is now September. And Asus still refuses to recognize this. HP fixed their sleep of death problem with an update back in march.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 09-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links