Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: how do i check the firmware version? turn off auto-update?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rosyjazz View Post
    I should be more clear...I do not have UEFI firmware options. advanced options gives me: auto repair, command prompt, startup settings
    Even the MS Surface RT has the same instructions... Access the BIOS on Surface | UEFI settings | Surface Pro firmware features

Also MS lists it for RT as well... System may restart and not display the "Choose an option" screen in Windows RT, Windows 8, or Windows Server 2012

Only normal reason for the option to not appear is if the OS was installed in legacy BIOS mode or system just doesn't support UEFI but that wouldn't be the case for any new Windows tablet...

Though, there could be some driver corruption... if the chipset driver isn't working properly then the OS may not be communicating with the FW, at least well enough to access it as a option in this runabout way of accessing the UEFI...

Asus is still not providing all the proper links for such drivers... So short of sending it to Asus for repair, which is looking like what you'll have to do... have you tried the Del key at boot method with the keyboard dock attached?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    I just tried the delete key when starting up and nothing....started straight up.

I don't want to send it my unit if I don't have to. it seems to work beautifully.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Well, aside from doing a full system factory restore/reset... something Asus support tends to recommend for everything... there isn't much else you can do...

Though, if all you want to do is check FW version then you can probably still do that...

Have you tried the previous, not from me, suggestion for checking it?

Or maybe see if command prompt will let you use msinfo32 or WinVer?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    I just reset it to factory defaults - its the same <sigh>

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    rosyjazz - You have a VivoTab RT? Unlike Windows 8, where you can easily turn off auto-updates from the Control Panel -> Windows Updates, the RT version does not allow that. Microsoft did this on purpose for any device running RT. However, you can stop automatic updates by editing the registry. Find:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update and then modify the binary value called - AUOptions

The default value should be 4. Change the number to 1. That is the only way to turn off auto-updates on your VivoTab RT. If you are not comfortable editing the reg., I would not recommend doing it.

Windows 8 RT does not have your traditional BIOS or UEFI settings. There is no button combination that you can press upon start-up that will take you to a BIOS screen. There is nothing wrong with your tablet, and sending it in will not do anything; this is normal behavior for the tablet. ARM devices do not have a BIOS and does not use UEFI.

The only options you can get upon start-up are the advanced options (auto repair, command prompt, start-up settings) that you already saw. If you want to check the firmware, I believe you can go into the Device Manager and there will be a "Firmware" section. Double-click it and you will see Asus System Firmware. You can view the details and properties from there. Also, with the tablet off, if you hold down the POWER and VOLUME DOWN button until it powers up, a screen will flash very, very quickly. The Build version and date can be seen from this screen, but I have never been able to look at it long enough to get any information.

Quote Originally Posted by rosyjazz View Post
    I just reset it to factory defaults - its the same <sigh>
    leeshor and rosyjazz like this.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    Windows 8 RT does not have your traditional BIOS or UEFI settings. There is no button combination that you can press upon start-up that will take you to a BIOS screen. There is nothing wrong with your tablet, and sending it in will not do anything; this is normal behavior for the tablet. ARM devices do not have a BIOS and does not use UEFI.
    Ok, that explains that but let's be clear that your statement is not entirely true because there wouldn't be a Secure Boot, which is specifically required to be enabled with RT, if RT didn't have a UEFI Firmware! So what you actually mean to say is Asus didn't bother to set up access to it for RT... Because, really, MS definitely did for their own Surface RT!

While to begin with UEFI is “processor architecture-agnostic" and no reason they couldn't put it on ARM, even if it wasn't actually required by MS!

Besides, ARM devices do have Firmware and BIOS is just a type of Firmware, as is UEFI... So let's not insult our intelligence!

American Megatrends is even Developing AptioŽV UEFI BIOS Firmware for ARM 64-bit Devices in Joint Collaboration with AppliedMicro™, announced back at the end of October 2012... So eventually they'll be treated like BIOS instead of the hard to access firmware being used now on most ARM devices.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    i have firmware version 2.3.9.3

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Btw, for that registry hack... The XDA Developers Forum has files you can download to make the changes automatically... Also, someone there suggested a setting of 2 puts updates into a download but don't auto install mode... So, if that's true, would let you install what updates you want but it'll still annoy you with update notices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links