Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times

Att: Tien, I've a question regarding the sdcard reader

Do you happen to know why Asus engineers decided not to give us an sdcard reader in the docking station? I currently own the vivotab tf810c. I love it. But gee wiz I'd love to have a full size sdcard reader to further expand my storage space.

Also, is there any plan by asus to come out with an alternate version of the dock that has an sdcard reader?

My dock has 2 usb ports. I only need 1 usb port. I'd sacrifice one of the usb ports for an sdcard reader.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    You can contact Tien Phan via email at cl-tien@asus.com or send a Private Message to him at Asus_USA

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I'd sacrifice one of the usb ports for an sdcard reader.
    We use a USB external card reader for SD cards but we prefer internal microSD cards.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Hey goodintentions. I honestly would not be able to tell you why the design engineers decided to go that route. However, I actually love that there's 2 USB ports on the keyboard. I would hate to have to disconnect my wireless mouse every time I wanted to plug in my flash drive. Their thinking was probably along the lines of what Brian_K said. It's possible to get a external USB SD card reader, whereas it'll be impossible the other way around. And I would much, much rather have an USB SD card dongle hanging out from the dock than one of those USB hubs.

I would not bank on an alternate keyboard coming out. I'm sorry.

EDIT: I forgot to add. There is a micro SD card slot on the actual tablet. Why not use that for your SD card needs?
    Last edited by Asus_USA; 03-11-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: content

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    EDIT: I forgot to add. There is a micro SD card slot on the actual tablet. Why not use that for your SD card needs?
    For me, I like using a 64 GB SD and a 64 GB microSD in my TF101 (plus 16 GB on board) for loads of storage space. It is nicer than having to plug in a USB drive OR using a USB reader to access more space and have to disconnect it all the time or risk breaking it off.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    Hey goodintentions. I honestly would not be able to tell you why the design engineers decided to go that route. However, I actually love that there's 2 USB ports on the keyboard. I would hate to have to disconnect my wireless mouse every time I wanted to plug in my flash drive. Their thinking was probably along the lines of what Brian_K said. It's possible to get a external USB SD card reader, whereas it'll be impossible the other way around. And I would much, much rather have an USB SD card dongle hanging out from the dock than one of those USB hubs.

I would not bank on an alternate keyboard coming out. I'm sorry.

I just bought an hp envy x2. Dimension wise, it's identical to the vivotab. But the keyboard dock has a full size hdmi port, 2 usb ports, a full size sdcard port, and a headphone jack.

The point is I'm just wondering why asus didn't give us all the necessary ports.

The tablet/laptop hybrid is suppose to be an on-the-go mobile device that replaces the laptop for those of us who don't need too much processing power on the go. I can imagine photographers wanting to view their photos via the sdcard slot.

I personally prefer to use both the microsdcard and the sdcard slots to expand my memory. With 64gig micro and 64 gig sd, that's 128gig expanded memory.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    If anything, I think it was a space saving move by cutting out the full sized SD card slot.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links