Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times

Transfer files over USB?

I cannot find a way to connect with usb to transfer files on the vivo tab. there is no PnP functionality when I plug in the usb transfer cable. Has any one else figured out how to accomplish this task?
    Last edited by Twoheart77; 01-31-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Unless connecting to a slave device, like a hard drive, phone, iPod, etc. then for PC to PC connections you normally need a special transfer cable... Typically looks like this...

Mind that PC's are typically the host device and that's the default for PC's, unlike most mobile devices that are default Slave and usually need a OTG connector to switch to host mode.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Unless connecting to a slave device, like a hard drive, phone, iPod, etc. then for PC to PC connections you normally need a special transfer cable... Typically looks like this...

Mind that PC's are typically the host device and that's the default for PC's, unlike most mobile devices that are default Slave and usually need a OTG connector to switch to host mode.
    Just to make sure I'm understanding here: Unlike my old Android tablet (TF101) which I could plug into my laptop to transfer files, since my VivoTab Smart thinks it is a PC, the micro-to-standard USB cable (which is used for charging) is not *intended* to be able to connect the VivoTab to a "real" computer?

If so, first of all, that's stupid - it's still (just) a tablet. Second, why didn't they use a standard sized USB port so that you could use Flash drives to get files onto it? <grumble grumble> Third, is it possible to buy transfer cables with one end a micro USB and one end a standard USB?

Mostly, I want clarification, because when I discovered this issue less than an hour after opening the package, and got online with ASUS customer support chat - (after checking that it wasn't my cable or my laptop's usb port causing the "problem") the ASUS person suggested factory reboot followed by returning the tablet to store, if that didn't solve it. Needless to say, it didn't. So, if it's not *designed* to work that way, nice to know that ASUS customer support doesn't seem aware of that fact. :P

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    It doesn't need to be a tablet, it would still require the equivalent of a cross over USB cable to connect 2 computer together. You can purchase a USB transfer cable and an adapter. for one end.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pollenator77 View Post
    If so, first of all, that's stupid - it's still (just) a tablet.
    Nope, form factor doesn't change whether it's a real computer or not... The OS and hardware setup does! Besides, you could just transfer files over WiFi... it's a lot easier to set up things like a ad-hoc network on a PC tablet than a mobile tablet and navigate the file system without needing a special app. You basically just have to think of it as a real computer and treat it as such, connecting mobile devices to it for example would be no problem... just like connecting mobile devices to a regular desktop, but PC to PC connections require the special cable because both devices are running as hosts by default.

Second, why didn't they use a standard sized USB port so that you could use Flash drives to get files onto it? <grumble grumble>
    That's Asus design choice, usually done to help make the tablet as thin as possible, most Windows tablets should have the full size port unless coupled with a docking station... which is what Asus tends to do... though, check the link in the next response...

Third, is it possible to buy transfer cables with one end a micro USB and one end a standard USB?
    Not really, most are designed for regular PC's that all have standard USB ports, so will be easier to just use a port adapter. Though, your system should have came with one that works with the dock port? The micro USB port may also be primarily for just a portable charging option as well...

Question: what really is the use of the USB cable??

Mostly, I want clarification, because when I discovered this issue less than an hour after opening the package, and got online with ASUS customer support chat - (after checking that it wasn't my cable or my laptop's usb port causing the "problem") the ASUS person suggested factory reboot followed by returning the tablet to store, if that didn't solve it. Needless to say, it didn't. So, if it's not *designed* to work that way, nice to know that ASUS customer support doesn't seem aware of that fact. :P
    Common problem with most company support staff is they're not really all that technical... Basically, there are different tier of support staff and the lowest ones are usually the one who answer the phones. So, unless they can look it up in a reference book then they usually can't help you unless they know enough to transfer you to one of the higher tier staff that do know what to do.

Thus why you can often find better help from fellow users on community boards like this one...

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I look at most phone techs the same way I look at the helper in the computer department at Best Buy. Last month they may have been shoe salespeople, next month it could be used cars. For the moment, at least on the phone, they only need to know how to read.

Not saying there aren't a few really good ones out there, in 1st tier support.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links