Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    1 times

ASUS Vivo Tab RT touch screen is jumping all over

Hey guys,

I recently developed a very serious issue with my Vivo RT. When I try to use it, there are several touch inputs on the right side of the screen. It is hard to describe, but imagine if a ghostly hand were randomly tapping on the right side of the screen when I was trying to use it. When I attach my keyboard dock to it, the cursor also jumps to this area and disables me from properly using it. I know that the "jumping cursor" issue is common with Windows, so I used to typical remedy and went to mouse options and disable "Enhance pointer precision". This appeared to have solved the problem for a while, but it returned and hasn't stopped since then.

I refreshed windows, rebooted my tablet, reset windows and wiped my drives, checked for viruses, checked for hardware issues. NOTHING seems to help the issue. I didn't drop the tablet or anything either. I left it next to my bed and when I awoke, it was possessed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would rather not send it back to Asus, as they take a ridiculously long time to process and return their items.
    hsiungw likes this.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    Have you tried to re-calibrate?

Go to search > enter "calibrate" in the search box > tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input to open Tablet PC Settings.

Also, are you using it with the keyboard dock when this occurs? Similar issue has been reported for the MS Surface RT that was due to defective keyboard. Worse case though is a defective screen...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    1 times
    The problem persisted even after calibration unfortunately.

The problem occurs regardless of whether or not the dock is connected, so I think the problem may be due to a defective screen. I was afraid of this....
    I hope asus doesn't take forever to send my replacement.

Thanks for the help!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the exact same problem with my Vivotab. I think this is a software problem, actually. I did an "OS Refresh", which reloaded the OS but kept my data. Once I did that, the problem disappeared. However, windows updated then installed 17 new "updates", and the problem came back. I just filed a trouble ticket with ASUS, so we'll see what they say...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the exact same problem with my Vivotab.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times

Same problem - happened suddenly after updates - no screen control in Start Menu

I had the same thing happen suddenly. Hard resets, soft resets, factory resets don't work. Screen works fine when re-installing from scratch, but as soon as Win8 comes up...nothing. No response from the screen. Is it an Asus or Microsoft problem? Don't have enough control to go change Win8 Control Panel or Device Mgr settings.

Quote Originally Posted by vivort View Post
    Hey guys,

I recently developed a very serious issue with my Vivo RT. When I try to use it, there are several touch inputs on the right side of the screen. It is hard to describe, but imagine if a ghostly hand were randomly tapping on the right side of the screen when I was trying to use it. When I attach my keyboard dock to it, the cursor also jumps to this area and disables me from properly using it. I know that the "jumping cursor" issue is common with Windows, so I used to typical remedy and went to mouse options and disable "Enhance pointer precision". This appeared to have solved the problem for a while, but it returned and hasn't stopped since then.

I refreshed windows, rebooted my tablet, reset windows and wiped my drives, checked for viruses, checked for hardware issues. NOTHING seems to help the issue. I didn't drop the tablet or anything either. I left it next to my bed and when I awoke, it was possessed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would rather not send it back to Asus, as they take a ridiculously long time to process and return their items.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    We'd be hearing reports from other brands if it was a MS issue, other than the MS Surface keyboard issues it doesn't seem to be the case, so looks like a Asus QC issue...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    1 times
    After using a touchscreen ASUS tablet pc for several months now and dealing with this phantom touch problem many times, I am now 99% certain that the issue is simply static electricity buildup in the touch screen. I frequently run a soft cotton cloth under warm water, squeeze it a bit so that it doesn't slosh all over the place, wipe my gorilla glass touch screen with it, and then wipe the screen dry and clean with another soft cotton cloth. I very rarely get the phantom touch problem, and when I do, it disappears immediately when I wipe the screen with a wet cotton cloth.

Eric B

Quote Originally Posted by vivort View Post
    Hey guys,

Aholmes5073 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times
    i just tried it and as soon as I powered back up I have a phantom touch at the bottom right corner. This seem to have started two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EricBrooks View Post
    After using a touchscreen ASUS tablet pc for several months now and dealing with this phantom touch problem many times, I am now 99% certain that the issue is simply static electricity buildup in the touch screen. I frequently run a soft cotton cloth under warm water, squeeze it a bit so that it doesn't slosh all over the place, wipe my gorilla glass touch screen with it, and then wipe the screen dry and clean with another soft cotton cloth. I very rarely get the phantom touch problem, and when I do, it disappears immediately when I wipe the screen with a wet cotton cloth.

Eric B

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Werd View Post
    i just tried it and as soon as I powered back up I have a phantom touch at the bottom right corner. This seem to have started two days ago.
    The quickest solution to this until they can fix it is to swipe in that section where you see the phantom touch area. This, on mine, is located where the Settings charm button is. Once I swipe there, I get it working as it did before.

If the system freezes and ignores touches, you just wait a few seconds and control should return.

I also went into Advanced System Settings from the System Control Panel and turned off most of those animations and smooth scrolling. It seems to work OK for now. THe issue is still there, but at least it's manageable for now.
    Werd likes this.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads