Thread: A few days with Windows RT - comments, questions

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times

A few days with Windows RT - comments, questions

I just picked up a VivoTab RT and have many options on the thing thus far, so I wanted to make a thread for others in the market and for anyone to possibly help me around the shortcomings I see with the device.

Firstly, why I purchased it - I saw it on clearance for $250 with keyboard dock and couldn't pass up giving it a try at that price - been looking for something with a bright screen to use outside and something that could replace both my Nexus 10 and Win7 laptop with one device, to make things simpler, especially when traveling. I found myself always bringing both devices, because even though I much preferred using the Nexus 10 for the majority of things, some tasks along the productivity side were simply much easier with a Windows based laptop.

So Windows RT, I was expecting to hate it based upon the amount of times I have heard it trashed. Metro is not bad at all, a good interface and although the app selection is minimal all the major players are there, I haven't yet found myself needing something that isn't available. Overall, besides having to go back and forth between metro and desktop to run different thing I like it, in some ways better than my loved Android, but now, the shortcomings:

1. I am greatly missing Chrome, I now know why I left IE years ago and never looked back.
    2. Some websites display as mobile and I do not see an option within the browser to request the full site.

Any work-arounds for my issues?

If I were to look into getting a similar device running full Windows 8 what would you recommend? If one of my requirements is 600nit brightness or higher is the VivoTab my only option? I couldn't find any others with brightness even close, but I am not that familiar with all the models available. Starting to think if I upgraded to a Win8 device more memory would be nice as well, things are sluggish with multiple tabs open at 2MB as I was used to my laptop with 4MB.

Thanks

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Frankly, I don't pay attention to reviewers nowadays. Somewhere along the line they forgot that they were suppose to be nonbiased and used the device for more than 5 minutes before they write their review.

This isn't just the tech industry that has fallen. Film reviewers were trashing the movie world war z a whole year before it came out. Every single media reviewer claimed it sucked even though they never saw it. Well, the movie became brad pitt's most successful film and was this summer's one of the most successful blockbuster. You can find all over the net people swallowing their words now that they see they were no where near being real with their crystal ball prediction.

Windows Rt is really a capable os. If you've used it for more than 5 minutes then you will realize how inaccurate tech reviews have been. Some reviewers complain that it couldn't run legacy apps. I don't get this. No one ever complained that ios and android couldn't run legacy apps. Why the double standard?

Remember when tech reviewers kept predicting android's downfall because ios had 3 kazillion apps while android had like 5? Or so tech reviewers kept hounding.

Win Rt and 8 are late to the game. Of course they have less metro apps. Just give it time.

Look up the hp envy x2 and split 2. I have published 2 apps using nothing but the x2 with visual studio. Tells you how capable the atom processor is nowadays. The split x2 has an i3 core.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 08-30-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    sculptedstylus and wnandroid like this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    Enjoyed your rant! Welcome back GI!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Enjoyed your rant! Welcome back GI!
    Haha, I think I'll start a website for my annotated rants LOL.
    sculptedstylus likes this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links