Thread: Windows 8.1 will let you add your SD Card to librarys. no mounting

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times

Windows 8.1 will let you add your SD Card to librarys. no mounting

This video shows how windows 8.1 (Next windows update) will let you add a SD Card or USB to library's without mounting or anything special. Windows RT guys, this will be awesome to have. Now hopefully we can easily install apps to the SD card.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    178 times
    We should probably start making a list of what changes they are going to bring...

I'm aware of the Modern UI now supporting a 50/50 snap screen view instead of just the previous 1/3 and 2/3 screen snap...

Sync is enhanced, so using the MS account lets you keep settings between systems to the point it's a lot like Chrome now and you can continue where you left off on another system... This also enhances Skydrive functionality between systems...

You can even use peripherals like a Bluetooh Mouse between systems and only need to link it once to your account.

More recently they put out they may allow direct booting to the desktop and even possibly allowing a disabling of the modern UI for those who prefer it...

There's suppose to be a fair bit changing with this release and shows the benefit of adopting the Apple upgrade/update business model as it allows for more than just updates but actual serious changes to the OS...

So, lets keep a eye out for what else they'll be changing?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a copy of 8.1. I love the fact that the start screen tiles sync between 2 devices. I have 8.1 on 2 laptops and it works nice. Tile groups sync also. I have tried internet explorer sync. it does work! if I look at a web site on one laptop I can switch laptops and pick up where I left off. skydrive sync does not work. how ever if they make RT sync folders with skydrive(user choice) I would be extremely happy! I'm really hoping that the windows phone will have deeper integration with windows 8 also.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by relenger View Post
    I have a copy of 8.1. I love the fact that the start screen tiles sync between 2 devices. I have 8.1 on 2 laptops and it works nice. Tile groups sync also. I have tried internet explorer sync. it does work! if I look at a web site on one laptop I can switch laptops and pick up where I left off. skydrive sync does not work. how ever if they make RT sync folders with skydrive(user choice) I would be extremely happy! I'm really hoping that the windows phone will have deeper integration with windows 8 also.
    Anyone got the store to work yet? I'll be putting it on my tablet just because I want 50/50 split. I know how to sideload all the apps, but having access to the store would make my life easier.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    178 times
    Build 9369 reveals an apparent File browsing App for the Modern UI... So users don't need to go to the desktop to browse files... enhanced Track Pad settings allowing edge gestures to be turned on and off... Search is getting enhanced with integration of web content into search functions... A new filter is also available for the Start Screen to select by "most used" apps...

The Search Charm functionality is also altered, allowing users to type a search query and then press enter to search apps or select the relevant search area from the Charm, unlike original Windows 8 automatically starting searching apps from the Start Screen. Also on the Start Screen, you can now begin typing and seeing the Search Charm on the right hand side without being taken to the search result page automatically. In other words, you can search for something while keeping the Start Screen open... You can also see Apps sorted by the most used, the date it was installed, and by the name of the app... camera can be accessed from the Lock Screen for taking quick snaps...

Improved mouse support like access the Apps List by clicking a button at the bottom of the screen. Clicking it will open the Apps List, which seems to slide from the bottom of the screen. Clicking the App List button again will close it and slide the Start Screen back to focus. While expect the placement of that App List button to be relocated as development progresses... new option to connect to a wireless display, more ease of use options, a 'Save Files to SkyDrive by default' setting...

Possible indications of transparencies and animations, like Charms bar appears to be slightly more transparent and a new animation when opening apps... Syncing now includes Start Screen layout, Browser settings, mouse settings, file explorer settings, etc... in addition to previous mentioned improvement to modern UI snap, you can choose where you want to Snap the app to (also appears to have a animation effect now)...

A preview release should come out at the BUILD conference in June with rumors suggesting that RTM will happen late in the Summer.
    leeshor likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    Company Apps are not new... I have it on my RT.... I have been trying to find the download for the newer release 8.1.
    Thanks for posting that video. I cant wait till it's released! Going to be awesome.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    178 times
    Another video, covering multi-monitor improvements...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    178 times
    Seems they're going through changes pretty quickly, now up to Build 9374... noting some changes from last Build leak...

Ads