Thread: Why I'm returning my rt version and get the win8 version

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times

Why I'm returning my rt version and get the win8 version

Couldn't connect to my Samsung laser printer. Called up Samsung tech support to ask for driver.

1st Samsung tech guy:

I told him I couldn't connect to my Samsung printer with my windows RT machine. I stressed that it was windows RT and not windows 8. Gave him make, model, and serial number. He went ahead and gave me link to windows 8 drivers. *sigh* I explained to him that windows RT runs on ARM processor and so windows 8 drivers won't work on windows RT. I even tried to install it to make sure I was right. Nope, wouldn't work. He insisted that windows 8 and RT are the same and so are their drivers

I asked to speak to another tech support guy.

2nd Samsung tech guy:

I explained in a calm voice very thoroughly that I have a windows RT machine and I couldn't find driver for my laser printer. Gave him all the necessary ID numbers on the printer. I also told him the previous tech guy couldn't understand the difference between RT and 8. I asked him if he did. He hesitated for a moment and started insisting that there's no difference between RT and 8 and that drivers for 8 should work for RT.

I sent a question to Microsoft support. Microsoft tech support guy sent me a link to windows 8 list of supported machines. NOT YOU TOO! I wrote back to him insisting that windows RT was different than windows 8. Got a reply saying they should be the same. Then got a second reply saying my printer must not be supported by windows RT (he must have caught on after the previous response).

Why am I returning my vivotab RT and buy the win8 version? Because I am now convinced win RT is dead in the water. Not because windows RT was lacking but because it will never get the support it needed simply because most people in the tech world still think it's the same as win8. If 2 Samsung tech guys and 1 Microsoft tech guy all believed windows RT and windows 8 are the same and that software for windows 8 should work on windows RT, then you know windows RT has no chance.

In other news, my vivotab win8 11inch version should be here in a couple days.
    eejit and Zoomer like this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    466 times
    You are going to get a headache with all that head banging! Good luck with your next vivotab!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    830 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    Good luck with your next vivotab!
    ....ditto!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101; Samsung Galaxy S4; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition; Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    1 times
    My wife loves her TF810C. She's using a old networked HP Laserjet printer attached to my desktop. Win8 installed it automatically to her tablet.

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    81 times

Re: Why I'm returning my rt version and get the win8 version

Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Couldn't connect to my Samsung laser printer. Called up Samsung tech support to ask for driver.

1st Samsung tech guy:

I told him I couldn't connect to my Samsung printer with my windows RT machine. I stressed that it was windows RT and not windows 8. Gave him make, model, and serial number. He went ahead and gave me link to windows 8 drivers. *sigh* I explained to him that windows RT runs on ARM processor and so windows 8 drivers won't work on windows RT. I even tried to install it to make sure I was right. Nope, wouldn't work. He insisted that windows 8 and RT are the same and so are their drivers

I asked to speak to another tech support guy.

2nd Samsung tech guy:

I explained in a calm voice very thoroughly that I have a windows RT machine and I couldn't find driver for my laser printer. Gave him all the necessary ID numbers on the printer. I also told him the previous tech guy couldn't understand the difference between RT and 8. I asked him if he did. He hesitated for a moment and started insisting that there's no difference between RT and 8 and that drivers for 8 should work for RT.

I sent a question to Microsoft support. Microsoft tech support guy sent me a link to windows 8 list of supported machines. NOT YOU TOO! I wrote back to him insisting that windows RT was different than windows 8. Got a reply saying they should be the same. Then got a second reply saying my printer must not be supported by windows RT (he must have caught on after the previous response).

Why am I returning my vivotab RT and buy the win8 version? Because I am now convinced win RT is dead in the water. Not because windows RT was lacking but because it will never get the support it needed simply because most people in the tech world still think it's the same as win8. If 2 Samsung tech guys and 1 Microsoft tech guy all believed windows RT and windows 8 are the same and that software for windows 8 should work on windows RT, then you know windows RT has no chance.

In other news, my vivotab win8 11inch version should be here in a couple days.
    I thought you purchased a used vivo for $300. How did you return it? Did you buy it from someone like Tiger Direct or Ebay. I thought returns on either of those two places was not generally available. Again, how did you return your vivo?

Have you thought of having your brothet-in-law return the Infinity?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by IdaUte; 02-23-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaUte View Post
    I thought you purchased a used vivo for $300. How did you return it? Did you buy it from someone like Tiger Direct or Ebay. I thought returns on either of those two places was not generally available. Again, how did you return your vivo?

Have you thought of having your brothet-in-law return the Infinity?

Bought it from Amazon. 45 days return policy on everything.

No, I don't want the infinity back. I still want windows 8 interface. Thought RT was enough, but obviously it's not.

I'm an engineer, so I thought it'll be nice for me to run some engineering calculation programs on my tablet. That's why for a while I was going to get the transformer book. But since that's vaporware, the vivotab works just as well.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    81 times

Re: Why I'm returning my rt version and get the win8 version

[QUOTE=goodintentions;262298]Bought it from Amazon. 45 days return policy on everything.

Could you please explain. I have not had that experience with Amazon.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    75 times
    Lol. Tech support guys are always clueless. The real problem is that third party companies aren't supporting ARM yet because the market isn't there. Whether or not tech support understands that is inconsequential. And if/when companies do support it, it'll probably be a marketing gimmick to make you buy a newer product. (The inkjet printer I bought last year had a variant with iPad printing support for $20 more).

Anyway, why stick with ASUS? I went into a Microsoft store in Santa Clara where every single product they were showcasing was touch screen with Windows 8 (Surface, tablets, laptops, including ones made by ASUS, Samsung, Sony, Acer, Lenovo, etc.) I have to say, the ASUS dock keyboards were some of the worst keyboards I tried. The MS Surface hard keyboard is better but flipping open the kickstand is not as convenient as the ASUS netbook-style dock, plus the Surface has really square edges. My favourite product was not any tablet, but actually a touchscreen laptop - the Acer Aspire S7 (i7, 13.3" with a beautiful 1080p screen - not sure if IPS but it looked like it). My favourite tablet was probably a Samsung 11". Good size, good design, and it had a bluetooth keyboard, but again not as convenient as the ASUS dock.

Overall I feel like none of today's tablets have everything to my satisfaction. Neither does my TF101 (and its woefully unergonomic keyboard), but if I'm going to spend money to upgrade, I'm going to wait until someone gets it right. The laptop is the only thing that's worth buying IMO.
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    [QUOTE=IdaUte;262306]
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Bought it from Amazon. 45 days return policy on everything.

Could you please explain. I have not had that experience with Amazon.

Anyone can sell anything on amazon. But if you sell on amazon, you have to agree to accept return for 45 days for any reason.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zAlbee View Post
    Lol. Tech support guys are always clueless. The real problem is that third party companies aren't supporting ARM yet because the market isn't there. Whether or not tech support understands that is inconsequential. And if/when companies do support it, it'll probably be a marketing gimmick to make you buy a newer product. (The inkjet printer I bought last year had a variant with iPad printing support for $20 more).

Anyway, why stick with ASUS? I went into a Microsoft store in Santa Clara where every single product they were showcasing was touch screen with Windows 8 (Surface, tablets, laptops, including ones made by ASUS, Samsung, Sony, Acer, Lenovo, etc.) I have to say, the ASUS dock keyboards were some of the worst keyboards I tried. The MS Surface hard keyboard is better but flipping open the kickstand is not as convenient as the ASUS netbook-style dock, plus the Surface has really square edges. My favourite product was not any tablet, but actually a touchscreen laptop - the Acer Aspire S7 (i7, 13.3" with a beautiful 1080p screen - not sure if IPS but it looked like it). My favourite tablet was probably a Samsung 11". Good size, good design, and it had a bluetooth keyboard, but again not as convenient as the ASUS dock.

Overall I feel like none of today's tablets have everything to my satisfaction. Neither does my TF101 (and its woefully unergonomic keyboard), but if I'm going to spend money to upgrade, I'm going to wait until someone gets it right. The laptop is the only thing that's worth buying IMO.
    Actually, I'm pretty satisfied with the vivotab rt ignoring the driver problem. Been using it for a couple weeks, and yeah I love it. But because of the lack of support for ARM with printer drivers, I've decided to move to the real windows 8.

Besides, I'm excited I can start running some engineering programs on my tablet that I've been using on my desktop.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Ads