Thread: Dual Boot tf810c

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times

Dual Boot tf810c

Has anyone been able to change the boot device on the tf810c? when I get into the bios the only boot option I am given is the windows boot manager. I would like to set up a dual boot with android x86 for now or maybe ubuntu assuming the touch screen is compatible with the multitouch pack unlike my acer w500. I have my USB all ready to go if I could just boot from it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    8 times
    I think you may have issues with this idea . Android runs on ARM /Tegra devices . Not x86 devices like PC's . Good luck though .

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    There is an android x86 version that I have heard about, never seen it though.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    You might find this of interest - Running Android on Windows:

WindowsAndroid runs Android without emulation on Windows 8 - SlashGear

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    I think you may have issues with this idea . Android runs on ARM /Tegra devices . Not x86 devices like PC's . Good luck though .
    Uh, no... Android isn't limited to just ARM... Smart Phones based on Intel Medfield for example are x86 and run a x86 optimized version of Android provided by Google!

100% app compatibility though works better on ARM as most Android devices are ARM based and generally better optimized for ARM. So you may not be able to get all apps to work on a x86 system.

There are also alternatives like Bluestack that allow running of Android apps in another OS like Windows...

There is also a Android X86 project but that's not mainstream Android...

Or you can get one of those ARM based USB dongles and run android on it instead of actually running on the x86 system, some will even use the PC as a monitor for the USB dongle and you can switch back and forth.

For Windows 8 based systems though, it's not yet easy to set up a dual boot of any sort at the moment for Clover Trail based systems.

AMD or a higher end Intel system shouldn't have that problem though... While for Windows RT, you can check forums like the XDA Developers Forum that's actively trying to jailbreak RT systems, as otherwise they're as locked down as Apple devices.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times
    I was planning on using android x86 (i had this set up on my w500 a few months ago) I just cant change the boot options. so are you saying that all clover trail based computers don't have other boot options? then maybe someone could help me find a patched bios for the tf810c, if anyone has patched it yet which i doubt.
    And since this is not an RT device i should have no problems in that regard (this is the vivo tab tf810c not the vivo tab rt tf600)
    Last edited by omeara4pheonix; 02-05-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by omeara4pheonix View Post
    so are you saying that all clover trail based computers don't have other boot options?
    Presently, it's difficult to even boot anything off USB at the moment for Clover Trail. Some Clover Trail systems like the Samsung ATIV Smart PC have even been known to brick when trying to boot Linux... problem has a driver patch but hasn't been integrated into the latest kernel yet...

Basic and low end systems to get basic firmware options... Higher end systems though shouldn't have the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by omeara4pheonix View Post
    And since this is not an RT device i should have no problems in that regard (this is the vivo tab tf810c not the vivo tab rt tf600)
    Yes, I was just being thorough, but it's still Clover Trail and has present limits as pointed out...

Clover Trail may be x86 ATOM but it has a lot of design elements similar to ARM... LP-DDR2 RAM instead of DDR3 SO-DIMMS, eMMC storage instead of SSD or HDD, SoC design, and presently only supports 32bit...

Many of the options to work with Secure Boot for Linux for example require a 64bit boot loader... While the GMA is based on Imagination PowerVR GPU, which doesn't have a good history of driver support, which further complicates being able to run other OS when you can't get proper graphic drivers for them!

The Firmware issues should mostly clear up in the coming months but the drivers, etc may be harder to overcome... It's questionable how hard they will try given that the next gen ATOM will come out before the end of the year and solves pretty much all the issues... but Asus has been known to occasionally surprise their customers on a few rare cases and come up with their own fix solution... no guarantees though...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm looking at this too. But the only boot choice I get is UEFI:flash drive and the flash drive doesn't boot. There is no legacy USB option in the BIOS. Turning Secure Boot OFF doesn't help.

Can you boot a USB flash drive?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_K View Post
    Can you boot a USB flash drive?
    Yes, but options are very limited at the moment... like Windows recovery on a USB, and latest version of Acronis True Image...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks. I can now boot from a full Win8 32 bit flash drive. This allows me to run Image for Windows to restore the OS partition if needed. That's mainly what I wanted to be capable of doing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links