Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb Just got my ME400C

After 3 days with my Vivotab windows 8 im not very satisfacted and i explain why:

First thing, i cannot boot from any other source than internal ssd. Already tried some bootable usb (like hirens boot, android x86, etc....)
    Whitout dock/keyboard its not very easy/simple to use it.
    To access BIOS (UEFI) i can connect a usb keyboard (with a micro-usb male to a usb female) or simply hold the volume down button while pressing the ‘Power button’ of Vivotab.
    In the Bios menu the "enter" key is the "windows" key of the tab and in this model the window button is not mechanical. Sometimes work ... sometimes not. This is annoying.
    After 2 days of tests to try booting from usb pen drive no success :-(

Second thing- While charging can´t connect any external devices :-/
    Another reason is because in any site i find the owner manual or any downloads. Not support/downloads from any Asus webpage around the world.
    I try to find myself how it works.

Another thing is the built-in GPS sensor. There is no software that detect the chipset.
    How i can use it on windows 8 ?

Otherwise the Vivotab is ok. The processor is not so powerfull but it can read 1080p movies without hangs (Cpu at 50% os usage).
    The internal ssd is not so fast. I get 35MB write and 85 MB reading.
    Find some bugs in windows 8 and the vivotab smart. Hope that bugs have a correction updates and bios update soon too.
    One thing i love... Absolutely silent :-D

Anyone managed to boot from external disk ?

Any help or ideias are welcome :-)

Thanks in advance.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the notes and warnings on the ME400C. Where did you buy it?
    You must be one of the first to get it in the US. I pre-ordered a month ago and hope to get it soon.
    It is now also available on Amazon in the US (search for ASUS ME400C).

Be careful with updates of the Bios. I read that when using Asus Live Update to update BIOS, the update crashes the tablet and renders it unusable. ASUS/MS may need to fix something before it works. That user ended up returning the VivoTab Smart to Amazon.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Problem with ARM devices right now is Secure Boot can't be disabled for ARM and all the methods for getting 3rd party software to run for Ubuntu and other desktop Linux distros are presently only designed to work with x86 systems and with the 64bit boot loader, which compounds the problem because ARM is still strictly 32bit...

A possible additional problem is that on ARM they may be using a private key version of Secure Boot instead of the Public Key that allows 3rd parties to get certified... Though this has only been confirmed on the MS Surface RT, but is unknown if any of the other RT devices are similarly locked down.

Though it is doubtful everyone would do so because such a lock down also blocks the ability to add peripherals and other hardware add-ons that would also need to work with Secure Boot in order to work. MS itself doesn't plan on Surface being more than exactly how they sell it and they can certify any hardware for it, but there's no real reason why other system makers would follow suite and limit their options.

The XDA Forum developers have manage to create a easy to use Jailbreak for RT, which would allow running of 3rd party software... provided it's coded to run on ARM of course... MS could block it later but you can just stick to a vulnerable version of the OS and restoring the original install should normally allow that for at least existing products.

While work is also under way for creating custom firmware that'll allow Secure Boot to be disabled on ARM... voiding warranty of course but an option many may still be interested in...

So, aside from possibly higher costs, the ATOM Clover Trail systems may be a better choice in most cases for the time being as they should allow much more options and should also offer to optionally disable Secure Boot. While providing similar run time, performance, and for the most part similar value with at least the basic models.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    The ASUS VivoTab Smart ME400C is an Intel x86 system.
    (It's the 'ASUS VivoTab' that is an ARM based Tablet).

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    The Smart is a base model with limited feature set but basically unless trying to boot something that is designed to work with Secure Boot then you need to disable it to run anything else...

So for x86... try to Boot to the System Recovery Options screen, click/tap on Advanced Options and UEFI Firmware Settings, click/tap on the Security menu, and if the option is offered then select the Secure Boot option, and click/tap/press Enter to enable or disable it.

Methods are developing for running 3rd party software without disabling Secure Boot but they're still being developed and perfected...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    The Smart is a base model with limited feature set but basically unless trying to boot something that is designed to work with Secure Boot then you need to disable it to run anything else...

So for x86... try to Boot to the System Recovery Options screen, click/tap on Advanced Options and UEFI Firmware Settings, click/tap on the Security menu, and if the option is offered then select the Secure Boot option, and click/tap/press Enter to enable or disable it.

Methods are developing for running 3rd party software without disabling Secure Boot but they're still being developed and perfected...
    You also need to turn off 'Fast Boot' as this only allows the Tablet to boot from the eMMC memory.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello
    i buy in Europe.

Thanks for the advise. but im already made an update:
    IMG_3043.JPG

No trouble ;-)
    Issue from "windows" key in bios resolved. (in bios the touchscreen is not usable, off course)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo Tab
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post

Already try to disable secure boot (and fast boot) and no success. Another thing i don´t understand is how to keep changes in bios and exit !! ;-) Any ideas?
    IMG_3052.JPG

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    No success as you could not turn them off or no success in that it didn't have the desired effect?

Usually, just save changes and exit/reset option to keep changes...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Btw, Fedora 18 is out now and it supports Secure Boot...

Fedora 18 Spherical Cow released - Liliputing

Also, a possible problem with Clover Trail... Since it presently only supports 32bit then the 64bit boot loader method to get around UEFI may not work...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links