Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times

Windows Tablets off to a weak start

Microsoft-Intel Push to Rival Apple in Tablets Sputtering- Bloomberg

There are a fair number of interesting questions. raised by thi article. First, in my mind, is if MS is just too late to the game, no less too rooted in their mentality of "the world adjusts to MS, not visa-versa" to become a serious contender in the mobile device market. Never before have they faced two so dominant and entrenched competing operating systems. Unless MM brings something significantly superior to the table, they could just be a niche player.
    Last edited by Aviator47; 12-05-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    471 times
    I'm not surprised.

Most tablet buyers are either using ipads or android systems now.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    ...not to mention that most people drag their feet when Microsoft releases a new Win version anyway. I know I need a new laptop and keep flipping back & forth between picking up one with Win7 or Win8. Add that to the tablet world, yike, you've got an unproven OS on an unproven device. I think alot of folk are playin wait/see...during this (gifty) time of year, not good for the players--unless your're iPad or Android. People are more inclined to stick with something with a track record.

thanks for the article Aviator.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Not to mention they offer almost no innovation. The only thing the offer right now is MS office and that is probably not enough for a lot of people
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    Not to mention they offer almost no innovation. The only thing the offer right now is MS office and that is probably not enough for a lot of people
    Unless you're only talking about RT then that's not true, both iOS and Android are only limited mobile OS. While these Windows tablets offer the first mainstream full desktop OS. The main issue is selection is still limited, many would prefer the pro models, and pricing is a bit high for early adoption when just a year from now we can expect much better specs.

Next year's Intel Haswell will bring high end performance but will retain many of the advantages we expect from tablets, namely long run time, always-on, power sipping, SoC design that can possibly go fan-less, etc. Right now we're still limited to pre-mobile optimized hardware that gives limited run time, still hard to squeeze into tablet form-factor, etc. The Surface Pro will probably be the smallest of the Pro tablets for example. So it'll be at least a year before we see a 7" Windows tablet and for this product category to really take off.

Also, lots of people will wait till the Service Pack release before trying Windows 8... So it's slow for now but should pick up later...

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    The issue I see with the surface pro is that I can build a pretty decent gaming rig for the money they are talking (not amazing, but very workable) and have a 24" or larger screen to use it with, I truly don't see much innovation in what they are doing and I see it as a big downfall of MS, they are stuck in their world and don't know how to get out. Do I think they will fail... of course not, they will continue to be in a majority of businesses around the world, but on PC's not tablets.

Disclamer.... I am a bit biased as I can't stand MS OS's at all though
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    The issue I see with the surface pro is that I can build a pretty decent gaming rig for the money they are talking (not amazing, but very workable)
    The same can be said of any tablet, the point is a tablet is easier to use for mobile usage. You can't use a gaming rig on the go! A 24" especially will have you locked to one location.

I truly don't see much innovation in what they are doing and I see it as a big downfall of MS, they are stuck in their world and don't know how to get out. Do I think they will fail... of course not, they will continue to be in a majority of businesses around the world, but on PC's not tablets.
    Time will tell but the majority of the market is headed towards PC tablets of one form or another. Regardless of what happens with MS we'll be using PC tablets in the future!

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Yeah, I agree that the desktop isn't portable at all, but for portability I'm not going to spend >$1100 I'm going to get something to go with my powerful desktop that is more in the range of $500. Even if I was to do away with the desktop, I would still have a laptop instead of a tablet to replace it as even a laptop can have a 17" screen that is a lot more usable than a 10" for most productivity purposes.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    You're still not going to be as mobile as you would be with a tablet, which is the point to tablets!

People who want tablets are willing to sacrifice on usability and performance but it doesn't mean they still don't want those too. Thus why there's a range being offered and some people are willing to spend what it takes for those more extreme options.

You're obviously not one of those types of people and thus why you can't understand the appeal but not everyone prefers big computers and we are an increasingly mobile culture!

Besides, the prices will get lower later and dynamic range of uses do appeal to a lot of people.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I disagree that most folks will use MS tablets & their OS.

I think it depends what they want to do & if they talk to anyone who isn't entrenched in the "if its a computerishness thing it must run windows" - I've been using computers since before Windows 3 - & I can tell you we no longer have or want a Windows based system in our house (4 adults) & we are fully post PC & have moved completely to tablets with their "mobile" OSs.

My son who lives away & is a travelling technical operations "guru" needs a Windows laptop for his work, & so in a business environment I can still see the need, no question. But for your average domestic user - I cannot think of anything they couldn't do on a decent tablet & OS (which doesn't mean Windows, per se)

Just my 2c, 2p or whatever...
    mttbender likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links