Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    171 times

The OFFICIAL "I got my ASUS Vivo Tab/Vivo RT" thread

Post in here once you get your ASUS Vivo Tab or Vivo RT!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    I bought mine at Best Buy on release day.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    20 times
    How are you liking it so far?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    I am really enjoying it. The first day is was behaving pretty poorly but its all cleared up. It was like a weird burn in. I also noticed a lot of updates coming in so that contributed to its behavior. Its a lot faster than I thought it would be. The browser is the best mobile browser I have used. There have been 2 application hang ups but they did not freeze the machine, where as my Prime and my Moto Photon would routinely crash.

The OS is not perfect, there are some quirks and the desktop is hard to use with large fingers but the keyboard will fix that. I miss some games but that will be fixed soon so I am not worried about that. The battery life is great as it was with my Prime. I think the best bet is if you are near a Best Buy then go in and try it out. Its more comfortable to use than the Prime as the edges are not as sharp. If you want something that can provide you an alternative to a laptop then get one, its why I switched. Its not a do everything machine but I remote into a desktop at home with teamviewer when I need that kind of horse power.
    wicked and MA83 like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    4 times
    Yeah, I got my Vivo RT today... The local Office Depot had one in stock.

BTW: It took quite some time to download all of the zero-day updates... particularly with the Office 2013 parts.

Note: Don't forget to registered with ASUS so you can get the keyboard dock for free!
    Last edited by graye; 10-31-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    wicked likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    Registered the day they announced it. Hope it arrives soon.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    I would love to hear from the RT owners about whether it's cumbersome not have the regular Windows program access.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hpfabe View Post
    I would love to hear from the RT owners about whether it's cumbersome not have the regular Windows program access.
    That's a loaded question... it depends on what your expectations are. I've not found it too cumbersome (but I didn't expect to have the same set of software as my desktop PC). Even so, you're "closer" to the same desktop software when compared to a similar Android tablet.

About the only thing I've found "missing" is a good email client. The version of Office 2013 RT doesn't come with Outlook, and the built-in email client doesn't natively support POP3 mail (Yes, there is a goofy workaround where you use the cloud-based Outlook.com as a intermediate step, but that's a bit hokey to me)

I was kinda suprized when I popped into the desktop and starting poking around. There was NotePad, Calc, Paint, etc... even the Command Prompt. I felt quite at home... I was able to create a "Network Location" shortcut to my NAS box and copy files back and forth just like "real" windows.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by graye View Post
    That's a loaded question... it depends on what your expectations are. I've not found it too cumbersome (but I didn't expect to have the same set of software as my desktop PC). Even so, you're "closer" to the same desktop software when compared to a similar Android tablet.

About the only thing I've found "missing" is a good email client. The version of Office 2013 RT doesn't come with Outlook, and the built-in email client doesn't natively support POP3 mail (Yes, there is a goofy workaround where you use the cloud-based Outlook.com as a intermediate step, but that's a bit hokey to me)

I was kinda suprized when I popped into the desktop and starting poking around. There was NotePad, Calc, Paint, etc... even the Command Prompt. I felt quite at home... I was able to create a "Network Location" shortcut to my NAS box and copy files back and forth just like "real" windows.
    Good to know. Thanks for the info!
    I'm still leaning towards waiting for the Transformer Book, but definitely want to know all the options with the Vivo Tab, Vivo Tab RT, and Vivo Tab Smart (after all, I was lusting after the Transformer Prime, couldn't find one, and by the time they became widely available the Transformer Pad TF300 was out and I decided that that cheaper model actually did everything I needed).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    I went from a Transformer Prime to this. I also knew the limitations of RT going in so I have been happy. I hope adoption picks up so some apps I really like come over. Like inSSIDer, SplashTop Remote Desktop(x86, x64 only in store). I use it in much the same way as I did my Android Tablet. A few things I have to figure out still but otherwise I have been happy. I have a desktop that I always keep on to remote to as needed. I could have gotten through college just using this device, it does enough. The limitation of POP3 in email has not been a problem for me. Have not used POP in a while for email.

For my job I wish I had serial USB support, telnet or putty and we shall see if they port WebEx, Adobe Connect to the RT world.
    Last edited by JaredTheGeek; 11-05-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links