Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The OFFICIAL "I got my ASUS Vivo Tab/Vivo RT" thread

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had my Vivo Tab RT for about a month now. I like it a lot so far. I havent had any issues with Explorer freezing. I did have some issues with registering for a few days. Tech support responded to my questions pretty quick. Finally got registered and signed up for the free keyboard dock. We'll see how long that takes to get. Im guessing after Christmas. I like the Windows 8, but the market for the apps is aweful. How can you have a market that you can not search? I hope there is a big upgrade to it soon. Also.. I have noticied quite a few sites that the Flash Player will not work on. It says there is a compatibility issue. Thats pretty weak to design a Tablet Operating system that has flash, but doesnt work will a lot of sites. Many facebook apps dont work due to this issue.
    Also.. How do you launch a product with no accessories. You cant even get a case or sleeve for it. I called the Asus Store.. and the people there hadnt even heard of the product. Nice heads up to your own employees. As soon as they address some of these issues, I will love this product even more, but for now, it just seems like they rushed this to market a little fast in order to beat MS Surface.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wacowade View Post
    I have had my Vivo Tab RT for about a month now. I like it a lot so far. I havent had any issues with Explorer freezing. I did have some issues with registering for a few days. Tech support responded to my questions pretty quick. Finally got registered and signed up for the free keyboard dock. We'll see how long that takes to get. Im guessing after Christmas. I like the Windows 8, but the market for the apps is aweful. How can you have a market that you can not search? I hope there is a big upgrade to it soon. Also.. I have noticied quite a few sites that the Flash Player will not work on. It says there is a compatibility issue. Thats pretty weak to design a Tablet Operating system that has flash, but doesnt work will a lot of sites. Many facebook apps dont work due to this issue.
    Also.. How do you launch a product with no accessories. You cant even get a case or sleeve for it. I called the Asus Store.. and the people there hadnt even heard of the product. Nice heads up to your own employees. As soon as they address some of these issues, I will love this product even more, but for now, it just seems like they rushed this to market a little fast in order to beat MS Surface.
    I agree, I had the TFT 200 and the Infinity, I love the way the tablet works on Windows. The lack of apps is killing me tough. At least they got what I need. I love how you can print from it without an app. I am not happy about the lack of accessories, I mean I can't find a case! I even emailed Poetic and they responded by saying they have no plans to make one.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    3 times
    The search for the App Store is in the charms, you search through there. Also there is a file to edit to get flash to work on more sites though manually editing it is a pain.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    1 times
    Bought my VIVO today at MicroCenter in Cambridge, MA. $499 for 32gig. Keyboard dock came with it, no charge.. I am just getting used to the new OS.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I purchased mine on a yesterday. I really like the the new UI!
    Rich

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    1 times

Cool

Hi Guys!

Just purchased my new Vivo Tab RT 32GB for $ 599 at Future shop and applied for the free keyboard dock shortly afterwards.

At first I was trying to decide whether to get iPad 4 or go for Microsoft Surface. After a lot of thinking and evaluation, It was clear that I preferred Windows 8 over iOS as a mobile OS,
    both for consuming & producing content. So it boiled down to Microsoft Surface and Vivo Tab RT.

But then I noticed Intel's Clovertrail CPU which the Acer W510, Samsung ATIV PC and other Win8 tablets currently have. If I go for this CPU, I would be able to run x86 apps.
    That's me thinking in general. But then I got specific....

...What x86 apps am I exactly going to use on my secondary PC?( being secondary means it should not cost me above $600 and more importantly, should be extremely portable to carry around everyday)
    1) iTunes (check)
    2) Ragnarok Online (on a 10~11.6 inch screen? Um no thx)
    3) Photoshop Elements (I have it on my VAIO F, using it on a small screen would feel cramped)
    4) Office (check)
    5) Other x86 games ( I would have to get an at least Core i5 CPU plus a good GPU, this means very expensive & not very portable device)

I came to realize that Windows RT should be sufficient for me, having iTunes as the only x86 app that would make sense on a portable & inexpensive secondary PC for me.

So Microsoft Surface VS Asus Vivo tab RT VS Asus Vivo tab SMART(Clover trail CPU) it is! I picked Vivo tab RT for these reasons:

1) Super IPS+ 600 nits for outdoor readability (VERY IMPORTANT) & Corning Gorilla Glass plus Asus TruVivid tech (displays richer colors)
    2) 525 grams vs Surface's 680 grams
    3) the keyboard dock of Vivo acts a battery supplement, which for me is better.
    4) Preferred 10.1 inch over 10.6 inch
    5) Tab Smart has no Super IPS+, not a Gorilla Glass I think (doesn't say on Asus' website specifications)
    6) Tab Smart and Tab RT is almost identical except on the display and OS, Tab Smart has Windows 8 but then like I said, personally Windows RT is sufficient for me

Over 1 day of almost non-stop use, here are my impressions:

Pros:
    1) Wonderful display (Super IPS+, Windows' ClearType sub pixel rendering displays texts as sharp as on Transformer Prime's 1080p display on Android)
    2) IE 10 is probably the fastest web browser out there and it works well on my tab
    3) I got 7.5 hours battery life on a moderate to heavy usage (WIFI on, web browsing, Music, occasional 720p videos, 40% brightness) after my first full charge.
    4) I'm not sure if the skin at the back is made of plastic or metal, still trying to figure it out, so I've been trying hard not to scratch it
    5) Office 2013 has been so far flawless
    6) Desktop mode works surprisingly good with touch
    7) Over-all performance after Windows Update has been excellent

Cons:
    1) Windows RT on sleep mode is not very power efficient (still consumes a relatively huge amount of battery juice compared to my iPhone 4)
    2) The lack of iTunes means I had to use Xbox Music which was a pain to re-do my playlists
    3) 32GB storage is NOT ENOUGH for sure. Windows RT took 16GB from my 32GB storage capacity

I'm actually in love with my Asus Vivo Tab RT. This is my first tablet, although I have been using iPad before.
    MA83 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm sure my wife picked one up for me today but I'm guessing it will stay hidden until my birthday dammit!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    I've installed Windows 8 on my desktop in anticipation of getting my Vivo. Getting my head around the "new" OS and I must admit I kinda like it. Wish there were a few more decent apps though.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm having a hard time getting it to connect to my home wifi. The tab says "waiting for MSN ...". I like the soft keyboard. I mainly need it for work. I can't get it to google or download Java. I can't run my software program we use (Epic) without Java.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Vivo RT
    Liked
    2 times
    I've had my VivoTab RT for a week and so far very impressed, I'm a software dev by trade so knew what I was getting myself into. The only thing I'm missing so far is the ability to play MKV files, easy enough to workaround though and hopefully an update or app will take care of that in the future. I am hearing stuttering with the Music app from local content, started a thread regarding that on the help forum.

Also, the free keyboard is an offer in the US only so I had to pay full whack for one in the UK. :/

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links