Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Video Playback over HDMI

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Video Playback over HDMI

I've converted a few movies using DVD Catalyst (very happy - $10 well spent). One thing I would like to be able to do is to show movies on the TF screen while also showing them on the HDMI screen.

When I have tried to view mp4 files, they display on the hdmi screen (nice picture btw), but my TF screen blanks out except for the player controls. When I play some .avi files I have, they display on both.

Here is what I need, perhaps some of you video geniuses can help me get there. My goal is for my wife to sit in the front seat of my car and watch a movie. I'd like the TF to be connected via the HDMI cable to a rear entertainment system in the back (so she can watch the movie with the kids). Audio will be played through the RES (Rear Entertainment System) for all (I'm O.K. listening to a soundtrack - just need to have some audio stimulation).

So, I need a file format & video player that will play on both the TF and HDMI screen at the same time. An added bonus would be for the file format to play on a 17" laptop monitor without conversion (I'd like to do one conversion for both purposes).

Is this possible? Any tried and true solutions?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    That's interesting because my TF101 Mini HDMI out to TV HDMI in plays with both screens active. Could there be an option to switch off the tablet screen as I have not seen one...this may also improve battery life ?
    PS. Using QQPlayer at present free from androidmarket.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gwc17 View Post
    That's interesting because my TF101 Mini HDMI out to TV HDMI in plays with both screens active. Could there be an option to switch off the tablet screen as I have not seen one...this may also improve battery life ?
    PS. Using QQPlayer at present free from androidmarket.
    I've looked all over for a switch, and haven't found one. I have not tried QQPlayer, but I will.

What type of file are you playing (avi, mp4, etc.)?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    5 times
    They only player that I know of that outputs video thru HDMI and the TF's display simultaneously is Rockplayer. I have only tried mp4 files.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rupter View Post
    They only player that I know of that outputs video thru HDMI and the TF's display simultaneously is Rockplayer. I have only tried mp4 files.
    Thanks. I'll give that a try. QQPlayer also split and was playing the movie on the HDMI screen and the controls on the TF.

Transformer TF101
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Novatel (Verizon) MiFi 4150L Hotspot

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowItch View Post
    I've converted a few movies using DVD Catalyst (very happy - $10 well spent). One thing I would like to be able to do is to show movies on the TF screen while also showing them on the HDMI screen.

When I have tried to view mp4 files, they display on the hdmi screen (nice picture btw), but my TF screen blanks out except for the player controls. When I play some .avi files I have, they display on both.

Here is what I need, perhaps some of you video geniuses can help me get there. My goal is for my wife to sit in the front seat of my car and watch a movie. I'd like the TF to be connected via the HDMI cable to a rear entertainment system in the back (so she can watch the movie with the kids). Audio will be played through the RES (Rear Entertainment System) for all (I'm O.K. listening to a soundtrack - just need to have some audio stimulation).

So, I need a file format & video player that will play on both the TF and HDMI screen at the same time. An added bonus would be for the file format to play on a 17" laptop monitor without conversion (I'd like to do one conversion for both purposes).

Is this possible? Any tried and true solutions?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Not sure about the TF, but on the Xoom, the stock "Gallery" does both screens.

Last night it was the first time I tried my own "MovieGallery" app on the TV, and that also runs on both screens at the same time.

edit:

missed the last part of the question.

If you use the Xoom/TF format in DVD Catalyst, the files play using the build-in hardware, which enabled HDMI
    the same video files will also play on your laptop using something like Quicktime or VLC, and if you use a HD media player (WDTV/Popcorn Hour) they will play as well.

If the resolution doesn't exceed 1280x720, even an iPad, iPhone4 and iPod Touch 4 will play them
    Last edited by dvdcatalyst; 08-15-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    SnowItch likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Have not try in depth but mine seems to show everything on both screen.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Last night it was the first time I tried my own "MovieGallery" app on the TV, and that also runs on both screens at the same time.
    Thanks. I'll check MovieGallery out.
    dvdcatalyst likes this.

Transformer TF101
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Novatel (Verizon) MiFi 4150L Hotspot

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    5 times
    Hi Mitch,

After reading your post I downloaded your free version of "MovieGallery". It looks very promising and I'll most likly purchase the paid version.

It's so nice to be able to see the names of the movies and also have cover artwork to go with it. I could not get the cover art to work with the free version for some reason. Do the images have to be in the same folder as the movies they correspond to? Does the cover art feature work with the free version?

btw...I also could not get the app to display simultaneously on my Transformer screen and my hdmi display, display only. No biggie for me.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by rupter View Post
    Hi Mitch,

After reading your post I downloaded your free version of "MovieGallery". It looks very promising and I'll most likly purchase the paid version.

It's so nice to be able to see the names of the movies and also have cover artwork to go with it. I could not get the cover art to work with the free version for some reason. Do the images have to be in the same folder as the movies they correspond to? Does the cover art feature work with the free version?

btw...I also could not get the app to display simultaneously on my Transformer screen and my hdmi display, display only. No biggie for me.
    Hi Rupter,

thank you for giving MovieGallery a shot.

The images do not have to be in the same folder as the movie files, however, they do have to have matching names. A few versions ago, it even needed the same CaPiTaLs, but the current version (1.2.5) doesn't care.
    if you have a movie file named "Transformers 1.mp4", moviegallery will look for an image with the same name ("transformers 1.jpg" for example)
    If you tap on the settings button (the 6-block one at the bottom left) when you are looking at the Gallery view in MovieGallery, go into Folders, and make sure that the location where your images are located at is set to be scanned. Some locations, such as Downloads and DCIM are not scanned by default due to the amount of files. The more files are being scanned, the longer it takes for MG to load. Also, adding pictures (and movies) on the Xoom while MovieGallery is running, or changing the folders, doesn't reflect until you restart the app. Just tap the back-button a few times to get out of it and then start it again.

As for the HDMI part, it has to be a setting on the TF. On my Xoom, it keeps both screens active. It would be a bit hard to control MovieGallery if the screen is turned off when you use HDMI, unless you have a touch screen TV?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links