Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By dvdcatalyst
  • 1 Post By chocolateface

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't play any video format or file - all video player apps, avi, mp4

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

[SOLVED] Can't play any video format or file - all video player apps, avi, mp4

I recently bought the asus transformer tf101 solely to play videos, often on netflix and 4od (both have worked fine since i downloaded flash) but mostly i intend to watch films and shows from my hard drives, I have about 300 films and about the same in tv series on my hard drives which I plan to alternate on my 32gb micro sd card i got for the pad, mostly in .avi format and I have not been able to play any at all. I have downloaded vlc, vplayer, mx player, moboplayer plus every codec under the sun and I have tried the .avi files and then I converted them to mp4 and still nothing
    Its winding me up so much especially as I bought it for this one purpose and I know its possible, Im obviously doing something wrong
    any help would be appreciated
    cheers

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

This is almost certainly going to be down to the way in which your ripped DVDs are encoded. I am moving your thread to our Asus Video section (from General Tablet discussion) where you will find a lot of helpful threads & information.

You will almost certainly find the DVD Catalyst section of great help as well & Mitch from DVD Catalyst may well also be able to help you.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    okay, i must have tried out atleast 8 different tv series and films from all different places thinking they would have had different ripping methods and still nothing happens

to convert a few avi episodes to mp4 took me such a long time and didnt even work anyway

and as i have such a large amount of avi files, if i didnt have to convert them would be wonderful

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolateface View Post
    okay, i must have tried out atleast 8 different tv series and films from all different places thinking they would have had different ripping methods and still nothing happens

to convert a few avi episodes to mp4 took me such a long time and didnt even work anyway

and as i have such a large amount of avi files, if i didnt have to convert them would be wonderful
    Try removing all the extra video players you installed, and try them one at a time. Many of them connect to the internal video playback of the TF, and if multiple apps are doing the same thing, you are likely experiencing conflicts with that.

Without any additional players installed, your MP4 files might work by default then as well.

As for converting your AVI's, that shouldn't take too long, unless you are using a computer that is quite old or underpowered. If the shows are standard avi/divx with mp3 audio, conversion to MP4, even on an older dual-core laptop should run at least at about 4x real-time (15 mins for an hour of video). on newer computers (a quad-core i7 for example) it will likely go up to 12x realtime or more.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay thanks for your help, initially I was trying one at a time and as each didnt work i then ended up with several players

and im using a mac but its pretty full so was being fairly slow and the thought of converting my collection is very daunting

and ive just deleted all but one player and then restarted the tablet
    still nothing

is this just a faulty tablet?

It doesnt make sense

thanks for helping though

dvdcatalyst
    You are welcome,

Here are a few things that might help:

* Try tapping this link on your Transformer using its default web browser:

http://www.tools4movies.com/trailers/1012/Skyfall.mp4

it points to a (streaming) trailer on my website that should work for sure using the build-in video player.

If it works, download the trailer to your computer, and then transfer it over to your Transformer as you have been doing with your videos already, and see if it plays.

* If you are using a memorycard, it is possible that the card is bad (even if it is brand-new). Try copying over some of your videos directly from your Mac to your TF, and see if they play (not from SD to Internal Storage, but from the collection on your Mac to Internal Storage directly) If they play from memory, and not from sd, its likely the card.

* If nothing works, and you don't have much on your TF yet, try doing a factory reset, and start with the trailer above again.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Big respect!

all video formats put straight on from my mac work
    booya
    it must have been the (brand new) memory card i got with an sd and usb adapter
    was an ebay jobby so thats probably why

got there in the end

thanks dude

Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    You are welcome,

Here are a few things that might help:

* Try tapping this link on your Transformer using its default web browser:

http://www.tools4movies.com/trailers/1012/Skyfall.mp4

it points to a (streaming) trailer on my website that should work for sure using the build-in video player.

If it works, download the trailer to your computer, and then transfer it over to your Transformer as you have been doing with your videos already, and see if it plays.

* If you are using a memorycard, it is possible that the card is bad (even if it is brand-new). Try copying over some of your videos directly from your Mac to your TF, and see if they play (not from SD to Internal Storage, but from the collection on your Mac to Internal Storage directly) If they play from memory, and not from sd, its likely the card.

* If nothing works, and you don't have much on your TF yet, try doing a factory reset, and start with the trailer above again.
    dvdcatalyst likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    And on that happy note, I will marked the thread as SOLVED with a big again to Mitch.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links