Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times

Question Using DVD Catalyst to make the *best* Blu-Ray transfers to MP4

Hi everyone

What settings would you suggest I use to make the very best quality transfers from blu-ray to MP4 to save on a HTPC?

I only want the main movie and the top quality english audio with english subtitles, the hopefully only appear when there is another language spoken.

Ironically I don't care if they don't play on my Transformer 101, I've recoded hundreds of DVDs using the TF101 HQXT setting (as recommended by DVD Catalyst) and that's fine for playing on the tablet but my main goal for blu-ray is to play it back on a big screen.

So I want top quality but in as small a file size as possible so I can fit more on the hard drives.

I tried using the TF101 HQXT 1080 setting and it converted a 20GB M2TS into a 4.5GB MP4 but the quality was greatly reduced and the subtitles didn't seem to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times
    Check out DVD cats site I believe he has a how to for getting the best BR conversion. If not I'm sure he will be along soon to point you in the right direction.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for your reply.

I've had a look on their site and can find lots of guides for different machines to play back on but not purely for high quality recoding with the minimum quality loss possible.

I may be looking in the wrong place as there is a lot of information on there but hopefully dvdcatalyst will be able to point me in the right direction!

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Maybe DVDCatalyst can provide more information but your last statement makes me wonder if you're trying the see the video on a tablet or a 70 inch plasma display.

There are settings for true HD in the software,

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Close! As I outlined in my OP, I've used DVD Catalyst quite happily for recoding my standard definition DVDs to a Transformer friendly size.

These blu-rays are going to be played on a 50" Plasma so yes, I want the absolute best quality possible!

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCheeseThe View Post
    Close! As I outlined in my OP, I've used DVD Catalyst quite happily for recoding my standard definition DVDs to a Transformer friendly size.

These blu-rays are going to be played on a 50" Plasma so yes, I want the absolute best quality possible!
    That would work just fine if you can get past the DRM on the Blu Ray. The settings possibilities are nearly infinite.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    No worries with the DRM, it's what are the best settings to use that I'm a bit stuck with.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    245 times
    I know DVD CAT is on a well desreved vacation, so you might PM with your question, he would be the one to give the best guidence using his software to accompolish waht you want. He did mention that he would do his best to reply to questions within 48 hours.
    dvdcatalyst likes this.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    I know DVD CAT is on a well desreved vacation, so you might PM with your question, he would be the one to give the best guidence using his software to accompolish waht you want. He did mention that he would do his best to reply to questions within 48 hours.
    Thank You for remembering

I am on the road We just pulled in due to a massive thunderstorm looming in the horizon. I think we just made it in time

Quote Originally Posted by BigCheeseThe View Post
    Hi everyone

What settings would you suggest I use to make the very best quality transfers from blu-ray to MP4 to save on a HTPC?

I only want the main movie and the top quality english audio with english subtitles, the hopefully only appear when there is another language spoken.

Ironically I don't care if they don't play on my Transformer 101, I've recoded hundreds of DVDs using the TF101 HQXT setting (as recommended by DVD Catalyst) and that's fine for playing on the tablet but my main goal for blu-ray is to play it back on a big screen.

So I want top quality but in as small a file size as possible so I can fit more on the hard drives.

I tried using the TF101 HQXT 1080 setting and it converted a 20GB M2TS into a 4.5GB MP4 but the quality was greatly reduced and the subtitles didn't seem to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!
    The very best quality would be by using MakeMKV instead of DVD Catalyst.

It will let you keep the full 7.1 audio, option to select subtitles and audio languages if you wish, and for a HTPC use, that is what I would use myself. I know the file-size is quite large, but no matter what you use to convert it, a reduction in size means a reduction in quality.

With MakeMKV, you can choose which languages to keep, so you will be able to reduce it a but by dropping the ones you don't need (both subs and audio).

The 1080 hqxt profile you used would be the best option to use in DVD Catalyst (any 1080 HQXT profile basically) with a CRF setting in "Modify" set to 20. The subtitles, I'm not sure what happened there. There are some settings that affect it, in both DVD Catalyst as well as in the M2TS file (if they are forced subs or full subs for example)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi dvdcatalyst

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply, especially considering you are on holiday, that's dedication!!

Ah right, I didn't consider using another program! Is that the one from makemkv.com? I want to make sure I'm not downloading a virus laden boobytrapped piece of malware.

That sounds like a good bit of software to use, at the moment I'm using TsMuxerGUI to strip the disc to just the movie and subtitles but that leaves me with a blu-ray folder with M2TS file.

Would MakeMKV do the same thing, just making it one easy file but still uncompressed, so huge file sizes?

The other thought is some films I would want to keep at absolute full quality (Lord of the Rings etc), but others I could probably be happy to shrink a bit to lose a small amount of quality for a better file size...what would be your recommendations in that instance?

Thanks very much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links