Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Video Catalyst (aka DVD Catalyst) Guide Collection (DVD, Video, Bluray)

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by gdog View Post
    Yep. just used the trial version and confirmed....purchasing shortly
    Thanks
    G
    Thank you

Let me know if you have any questions.

In your order confirmation are a few links at the bottom that should answer a few of the questions you might have.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Just paid...thanks
    G
    dvdcatalyst likes this.

dvdcatalyst
    updated links.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Catalyst, I'm curious about MKV's that have the subtitles embedded in the actual file. These are the MKV's that when I play them in VLC on my PC, I don't have to open the SRT/SUB/whatever from an external location. I simply double-click the file which launches VLC and starts playing the movie; I go to the "Video" drop-down menu, then select "Subtitle Tracks", and all the embedded subtitle track options are already there. In DVD Catalyst, I know that in "Selection Settings" I can click the box that says "Subtitles", select whatever embedded track I want, then it will be hard-coded in the output video. I was wondering if there was a way to automatically extract the subtitle tracks and output them in the same folder as this converted video? This would be awesome.

Nevertheless, it's not a huge deal. I know there are SRT repositories online that I could use to download the SRT's separately, so it would just be a convenience. I'm sure there's also separate software that would extract the subtitle files from the MKV's themselves. It's just particularly irritating that a lot of SRT's say "English", but give no indication if they are a track for the hearing impaired that caption English subtitles for English dialogue, or if they're actually English subtitles for scenes that involved foreign languages in an English-speaking movie.

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
    Catalyst, I'm curious about MKV's that have the subtitles embedded in the actual file. These are the MKV's that when I play them in VLC on my PC, I don't have to open the SRT/SUB/whatever from an external location. I simply double-click the file which launches VLC and starts playing the movie; I go to the "Video" drop-down menu, then select "Subtitle Tracks", and all the embedded subtitle track options are already there. In DVD Catalyst, I know that in "Selection Settings" I can click the box that says "Subtitles", select whatever embedded track I want, then it will be hard-coded in the output video. I was wondering if there was a way to automatically extract the subtitle tracks and output them in the same folder as this converted video? This would be awesome.

Nevertheless, it's not a huge deal. I know there are SRT repositories online that I could use to download the SRT's separately, so it would just be a convenience. I'm sure there's also separate software that would extract the subtitle files from the MKV's themselves. It's just particularly irritating that a lot of SRT's say "English", but give no indication if they are a track for the hearing impaired that caption English subtitles for English dialogue, or if they're actually English subtitles for scenes that involved foreign languages in an English-speaking movie.
    For DVDs I have an export functionality for subtitles (VobSub), but currently nothing implemented yet for anything else. It is on my list though, partially because in the latest MovieGallery build, I added support for SRT subtitles for video files. It is currently undocumented because the sites where SRT subs are located tend to have a lot of crap on them in regards of popups and stuff.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, finding an appropriate SRT isn't a problem even without extraction because of websites like Subtitle Seeker. The problem is showing them via HDMI. MX Player is my preferred video player. I looked into getting subtitles from an external SRT to show on the HDMI-out TV display, but things aren't working out. Their FAQ showed this:
    TV-Out (HDMI out) screen does not show subtitle and UI controls.

For some devices, using H/W decoding mode will show only raw video frames for TV-out. Use S/W decoder instead.
    For some devices, this behavior can be overridden by disabling HW overlays in Home > Settings > Developer Options > Drawing section > Disable HW Overlays.
    If I use S/W decoding, then the subtitles show up. Great! The problem is that I get the same stutter with high bitrates using this decoder even if I've optimized the file using DVD Catalyst. The second option doesn't appear to be viable for the TF101 as there is no "Drawing section" in the Developer options.

So my question is this: using DVD catalyst, is there a way to alter the placement of the subtitles that I hardcode into the converted video? Here's my problem. I've selected the subtitle hard-coding option for The Avengers, and DVD catalyst encodes the subtitles into the raw frames. But for The Avengers the video is natively 1920x1080p (16:9 ratio), so there's no bars at the bottom of the screen. It fills the whole TV. The resulting problem is that the subtitles DVD Catalyst hardcoded are cut off at the bottom of the screen. I can't read half of them. If I could simply adjust where in the frame DVD Catalyst puts them to be higher, then everything would be gravy.

Is there a way to do this?

dvdcatalyst
    Well, finding an appropriate SRT isn't a problem even without extraction because of websites like Subtitle Seeker. The problem is showing them via HDMI. MX Player is my preferred video player. I looked into getting subtitles from an external SRT to show on the HDMI-out TV display, but things aren't working out. Their FAQ showed this:

If I use S/W decoding, then the subtitles show up. Great! The problem is that I get the same stutter with high bitrates using this decoder even if I've optimized the file using DVD Catalyst. The second option doesn't appear to be viable for the TF101 as there is no "Drawing section" in the Developer options.

So my question is this: using DVD catalyst, is there a way to alter the placement of the subtitles that I hardcode into the converted video? Here's my problem. I've selected the subtitle hard-coding option for The Avengers, and DVD catalyst encodes the subtitles into the raw frames. But for The Avengers the video is natively 1920x1080p (16:9 ratio), so there's no bars at the bottom of the screen. It fills the whole TV. The resulting problem is that the subtitles DVD Catalyst hardcoded are cut off at the bottom of the screen. I can't read half of them. If I could simply adjust where in the frame DVD Catalyst puts them to be higher, then everything would be gravy.

Is there a way to do this?
    Try my MovieGallery 2 app in Google Play (sorry, the free version is an older version at this point)

Place the SRT file in the same location as the movie, and make sure it has the same name.

When you start playing the movie in MovieGallery, tap on the screen to bring up the controls, and tap on the button with the A in it to have it display the subtitles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.moviegallery

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Try my MovieGallery 2 app in Google Play (sorry, the free version is an older version at this point)

Place the SRT file in the same location as the movie, and make sure it has the same name.

When you start playing the movie in MovieGallery, tap on the screen to bring up the controls, and tap on the button with the A in it to have it display the subtitles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.moviegallery
    Nope. No dice. They show up on the tablet, but not in the television. Same as MX player.

Any other suggestions? Anybody have this figured out? If not, let me be the first to request the ability modify x-axis/y-axis placement of hardcoded subs via DVD Catalyst.

dvdcatalyst
    Nope. No dice. They show up on the tablet, but not in the television. Same as MX player.

Any other suggestions? Anybody have this figured out? If not, let me be the first to request the ability modify x-axis/y-axis placement of hardcoded subs via DVD Catalyst.
    Someone borrowed my MicroHDMI cable, so I can't test it for you. Do you need me to process a refund for MG2? If so, let me know what email address you used.

I'll have a look at the position stuff for the subtitles.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Someone borrowed my MicroHDMI cable, so I can't test it for you. Do you need me to process a refund for MG2? If so, let me know what email address you used.

I'll have a look at the position stuff for the subtitles.
    Don't sweat it. I'll gladly donate $2 to you for all the feedback you've given me, and for the extraordinary value I've gotten out of $10 DVD Catalyst. I've dropped 10x that amount on media software that is a heaping pile of camel dung compared to DVD Catalyst.
    dvdcatalyst likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links