Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    361 times

[VIDEOS] 200 Free Android App Development Tutorial Videos

Anyone interested in learning Android App Development, TheNewBoston is a great source for free video tutorials, 200 videos no less to get you on your way to becoming an Android App Developer and hopefully getting an App published on the Android Market bringing you in a little income from Ads or Sales

Android Application Development
    200 Videos

List of Videos for Android Application Development

Before jumping in the deep end and attempting to learn to make apps with no previous coding know-how, (Like I did) its is pretty important that you at least know the basics of JAVA programming (Like I do not "yet")

There are also a load of free tutorial videos from the same guy to teach you JAVA basics and Intermediate if needed prior to Android Development

JAVA Basic Video Tutorials
    List of Videos for Java

JAVA Intermediate Video Tutorials
    List of Videos for Intermediate Java

Have not found anything else quite like the quality and amount of dedicated tutorials that this guy is offering completely free, an opportunity not to be missed if you are wanting to become an App Developer, For Free!

His main site here has many many more tutorials to choose from too.
    Tutorials

Enjoy and happy coding !
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    202 times
    Nice, thanks, just what I was looking for!

Not sure I well ever write a prog, but good to play with over the holidays.
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    361 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
    Nice, thanks, just what I was looking for!

Not sure I well ever write a prog, but good to play with over the holidays.
    I got to about video 19 and realised it was never going to happen for me until I learned JAVA first - so back to the drawing board until I decide to do that

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Detection View Post
    I got to about video 19 and realised it was never going to happen for me until I learned JAVA first - so back to the drawing board until I decide to do that
    Nice find Detection.

You can learn java along the way. While I have been programming dvdcat for 9 years now, I never did much with java, but I had the core-part of MovieGallery up and running in 3 days.

If you want to start with putting apps in the market, start small. Look at how you use your own tablet/phone, and start thinking about what your annoyances are. Maybe you are sick of having to go through 3 menu's to get to a certain setting you change fairly often, so you could write an app/widget to do that for you for example. Once you have something up and running, you just add new things to it as you go.
    SounderRajan and Detection like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    361 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Nice find Detection.

You can learn java along the way. While I have been programming dvdcat for 9 years now, I never did much with java, but I had the core-part of MovieGallery up and running in 3 days.

If you want to start with putting apps in the market, start small. Look at how you use your own tablet/phone, and start thinking about what your annoyances are. Maybe you are sick of having to go through 3 menu's to get to a certain setting you change fairly often, so you could write an app/widget to do that for you for example. Once you have something up and running, you just add new things to it as you go.
    Great advise thanks, yea the problem even with something small is I literally have 0 knowledge of coding, so even making the HelloWorld! app they teach you in the first tutorial, I need to have the video playing along side Eclipse so I can copy the code !

So if I was to make a small app for say muting the volume with one click, I would need the video running to make it Hence why I think I need to learn JAVA basics first

I did have it in my head that I don't need to know anything about JAVA, just the Android part of it - kind of like I know how to change a wheel on a car, but I am not a mechanic - why learn all that when I only need a small amount of it.

Didn't really work out though, it turns out, although I do not need to be a mechanic to change a wheel, I do need to know what a jack is and what a tire iron is, how to fit them to the wheel nuts, how to jack up the car in the correct place, what to do if there is no jack mount under the car etc etc etc

If there was a quicker workaround to learn the Android JAVA basics only, that would be great

dvdcatalyst

Quote Originally Posted by Detection View Post
    Great advise thanks, yea the problem even with something small is I literally have 0 knowledge of coding, so even making the HelloWorld! app they teach you in the first tutorial, I need to have the video playing along side Eclipse so I can copy the code !

So if I was to make a small app for say muting the volume with one click, I would need the video running to make it Hence why I think I need to learn JAVA basics first

I did have it in my head that I don't need to know anything about JAVA, just the Android part of it - kind of like I know how to change a wheel on a car, but I am not a mechanic - why learn all that when I only need a small amount of it.

Didn't really work out though, it turns out, although I do not need to be a mechanic to change a wheel, I do need to know what a jack is and what a tire iron is, how to fit them to the wheel nuts, how to jack up the car in the correct place, what to do if there is no jack mount under the car etc etc etc

If there was a quicker workaround to learn the Android JAVA basics only, that would be great
    Thats how I started. I'm a self-taught developer. My actual profession is "Network Admin", and I have fancy acronyms like MCSE, CCNA(Cisco), CCA (Citrix) etc attached to my name, but when you can't find a job even doing helpdesk for an ISP, you have to come up with something else.

9 years ago, DVD Catalyst started out as a "reverse bitrate calculator". I had a large collection of video files, and to convert them for my PocketPC with only 128MB memory, I had to spend quite some time with Calc.exe to get the settings right. A colleague of mine who'm I helped testing his own apps got me started.

You can follow courses and get big fancy books to learn how to become a developer, but its the same with just about everything else, most of the stuff you learn, you will never use.

The Hello World app is actually something that works out of the box is you get Eclipse and the Android SDK setup. You simply tell Eclips you want to make an Android app, and it builds a Hello World for you. If you have your Transformer connected and set to usb debugging, simply building the app will install it onto it.

Anyway, I build the standard helloworld app that eclipse makes for you (no coding done at all), and, also created one with 2 buttons in it for volume up and down.

Just helloworld: www.tools4movies.com/dev/HelloWorld1.apk

Modded one with volume (media playback only): www.tools4movies.com/dev/HelloWorld2.apk

and the source for the last one (first one is auto-generated, so there is no need for source) www.tools4movies.com/dev/HelloWorld.zip

The only 2 files in the zip that I changed something in are

/res/layout/main.xml
    where I added 2 buttons in drag&drop mode. In the XML layout, I just changed the text displayed on the buttons.

/src/com/detection/helloworld/HelloWorldActivity.java
    where I added code to find the buttons in code and attached the volume adjustment to the buttons.

The code for changing volume can be found in the Android SDK documentation itself, but there are also websites all over the web that have sample pieces of code that help you get things right.
    Detection likes this.

dvdcatalyst
    to mute, you would simply change

audio.adjustStreamVolume(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC ,AudioManager.ADJUST_LOWER, AudioManager.FLAG_SHOW_UI);

to

audio.setStreamVolume(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC,0, 0);
    Detection likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Detection,
    Lot of books for Android developers are available (amazon.com). Before buying them, search PDFs on the web, try to read them, see if the style of the book is also your style of learning. I am also only starting (hobby) with android and java, but I am c/c++ programer and java code is not a problem for me.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    361 times
    Thats how I started. I'm a self-taught developer. My actual profession is "Network Admin", and I have fancy acronyms like MCSE, CCNA(Cisco), CCA (Citrix) etc attached to my name, but when you can't find a job even doing helpdesk for an ISP, you have to come up with something else.

9 years ago, DVD Catalyst started out as a "reverse bitrate calculator". I had a large collection of video files, and to convert them for my PocketPC with only 128MB memory, I had to spend quite some time with Calc.exe to get the settings right. A colleague of mine who'm I helped testing his own apps got me started.

You can follow courses and get big fancy books to learn how to become a developer, but its the same with just about everything else, most of the stuff you learn, you will never use.

The Hello World app is actually something that works out of the box is you get Eclipse and the Android SDK setup. You simply tell Eclips you want to make an Android app, and it builds a Hello World for you. If you have your Transformer connected and set to usb debugging, simply building the app will install it onto it.

Anyway, I build the standard helloworld app that eclipse makes for you (no coding done at all), and, also created one with 2 buttons in it for volume up and down.

Just helloworld: www.tools4movies.com/dev/HelloWorld1.apk

Modded one with volume (media playback only): www.tools4movies.com/dev/HelloWorld2.apk

and the source for the last one (first one is auto-generated, so there is no need for source) www.tools4movies.com/dev/HelloWorld.zip

The only 2 files in the zip that I changed something in are

/res/layout/main.xml
    where I added 2 buttons in drag&drop mode. In the XML layout, I just changed the text displayed on the buttons.

/src/com/detection/helloworld/HelloWorldActivity.java
    where I added code to find the buttons in code and attached the volume adjustment to the buttons.

The code for changing volume can be found in the Android SDK documentation itself, but there are also websites all over the web that have sample pieces of code that help you get things right.

to mute, you would simply change

audio.adjustStreamVolume(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC ,AudioManager.ADJUST_LOWER, AudioManager.FLAG_SHOW_UI);

to

audio.setStreamVolume(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC,0, 0);

Thats great thanks ! I`ll check that out in the morning, getting a bit late here now to start with Eclipse, I forgot that there is the graphical side to Eclipse too, I have been looking at pages of code thinking Ugghh

Quote Originally Posted by BrakeFluid View Post
    Detection,
    Lot of books for Android developers are available (amazon.com). Before buying them, search PDFs on the web, try to read them, see if the style of the book is also your style of learning. I am also only starting (hobby) with android and java, but I am c/c++ programer and java code is not a problem for me.
    Yea I have a couple pdf's I was reading, then I found the video tutorials and preferred them, and there lies my downfall, I wish I had picked up learning any type of programming language years ago, but back then I was more interested in the end product rather than how it was made.

2012 is the year to learn

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    361 times
    Right, I decided to give this another go today, see if I can't at least get something more than HelloWorld running on my TF
    dvdcatalyst likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads