Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    0 times

[SOLVED] TF103 - Help needed to upgrade firmware manually

Hello everyone - new member here.

I'm having difficulty upgrading to the latest firmware, and I don't seem to be able to fully follow the guides here because of what is in the ZIP file I've downloaded. The file I've got (from the official Asus website), is called UL-K010-WW-2_2_33_144-user.zip. However when I open this it isn't a zip in a zip as the articles suggest. I get the folders META, recovery, system, and some files called boot.img, capsule.bin, and fastboot.img.

I saw somewhere that these files and folders are seen if you accidentally open the zip inside the zip, but as I mentioned I've only opened the top level zip to get this.

Thinking that they might have dispensed with the zip in a zip structure, I decided to try placing the zip file in the root of SD. The tablet won't pick up the update at all.

Does anyone know where I might be going wrong, or is there something wrong with this FW file? I've downloaded it several times just to make sure.

SOLVED
    Yes, it's been solved, but to find the right solution for you, you will need to read the thread and follow the various suggestions found throughout. One of the earlier, far easier solutions, might be all you need.

Posts # 23, 24, 25 in particular are very useful.

Janner43
    TFF Administrator

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2811 times
    Welcome Andy

The process is different for the tf103. Take a look in the tf103 section [GUIDE] How to get to Recovery, clean the system cache etc on the TF103 you'll find the correct method there.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Janner

Thanks for your reply and the information.

Unfortunately I've tried the information in the TF103 section you described, and all this does is blank my tablet every time. If I then place the upgrade ZIP on the SD card or internal storage, nothing happens. If I reboot it doesn't tell me there's an update available, and if I use the System Update option in Settings, it just keeps saying that there isn't an update even though the tablet is still on Android 4.4.2.

I don't think this tablet has ever updated OTA since I bought it. I don't know if this is because there genuinely isn't an update, or if there is a problem.

Either way if anyone can assist with this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Ossett View Post
    Hi Janner

Thanks for your reply and the information.

Unfortunately I've tried the information in the TF103 section you described, and all this does is blank my tablet every time. If I then place the upgrade ZIP on the SD card or internal storage, nothing happens. If I reboot it doesn't tell me there's an update available, and if I use the System Update option in Settings, it just keeps saying that there isn't an update even though the tablet is still on Android 4.4.2.

I don't think this tablet has ever updated OTA since I bought it. I don't know if this is because there genuinely isn't an update, or if there is a problem.

Either way if anyone can assist with this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Andy, the information posted is correct. However, you do have to follow it to the letter and get the hardware key combinations correct to enter recovery. You do not appear to be entering recovery correctly. At that point you need to use ADB and a PC to manually flash new firmware. You cannot just copy a file to your tf103. It doesn't work on this Intel Powered model. There is similar guidance in the tf103 section.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi All, like Andy, I'm having problems trying to get my new Transformer TF103C upgraded to Lollipop. I'm trying to get the file WW-2_2_33_144 first then move to the next file that's off the ASUS webite. Firt off there is no other ZIP file in the ZIP file WW-2_2_33_144.zip. So I've tried just copying the zip file to SD card , unzipping the file to the zip card, moving all the uzipped files from the folder to the root of the SD card and none of these 4 methods have worked. I get into the recovery mode with no problems and to the ADB part where it's waiting for the filename but it doesn't seem to want to grab any of these files for the upgrade. Under software status I"m at 2.2.33.141 , build BBY-2.2.33.141. Any suggestions how to get this thing to Lollipop would be appreciated. I've followed the instructions on here... but I think it's something I'm doing with the file from the ASUS site. I don't even see an ASUS folder in the zipped file or when it's unzipped. Just stuck at the ADB waiting for the filename icon...

I don't see anything in the recovery mode to update from the SD card, just checked again..
    Last edited by viperpiper; 05-02-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    2 times

TF103C help updating firmware ??

Ok..I asked in another area and got nowhere. I have a new TF103C that recieved all the OTA updates when I turned it on but it's still on 4.4.2

I went to the Asus website and downloaded the WW-2_2_33_144 and stuck at that so far. I have followed all the suggestions in the guide. First off if you unzip this file from ASUS there isn't another zip file inside it, like some guides suggest. I have tried putting both the zip file and the unzipped files on a sd card and booting up and it doesn't detect any new update. I have put the tablet into recovery mode and nowhere do I see update from sd card. I have even tried to sideload it with ADB and then I get the verification signature fail message. So how in the world can I update this to 144 then to Lollipop. I can't seem to find anything about this, yet everyone seems to be running Lollipop on their TF103C.

I have even tried to Root it with the Zenfone apk but that doesn't even work... I'm at a loss. Rooting is not the big deal right now...just getting it up to Lollipop would be great. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2811 times
    OK - I have created a new thread with the tf103 specific posts in it. Let's deal with some facts...
    1) The TF103 is UNIQUE and cannot be updated in the same way as any other Asus Android Transformer Tablet
    2) This is because it uses an Intel chipset and the "new" Zen styling
    3) The information we have here for manually upgrading the firmware has been posted by members - it is presumed correct, however, only Asus could tell you for certain

I hope either other members or Asus will be able to assist you in this, but short of you contacting Asus, I doubt they will post here with anything other than "send it back"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    OK - I have created a new thread with the tf103 specific posts in it. Let's deal with some facts...
    1) The TF103 is UNIQUE and cannot be updated in the same way as any other Asus Android Transformer Tablet
    2) This is because it uses an Intel chipset and the "new" Zen styling
    3) The information we have here for manually upgrading the firmware has been posted by members - it is presumed correct, however, only Asus could tell you for certain

I hope either other members or Asus will be able to assist you in this, but short of you contacting Asus, I doubt they will post here with anything other than "send it back"
    Well, I've called Asus talked to tech support twice about this. I don't even think they know what to do and also told me they don't officially support firmware updates for this tablet which I find a bit confusing. The first tech told me to put the file on the sd card method and it should detect the update (which didn't work). The second tech told me to put the firmware update in the root folder of the tablet and it should detect the update (that also didn't work). A little confusing that they provide firmware updates yet they don't "officially" support the files from their own website. So I guess at the end of the day I'm stuck at Kitkat, disappointing...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by viperpiper View Post
    Well, I've called Asus talked to tech support twice about this. I don't even think they know what to do and also told me they don't officially support firmware updates for this tablet which I find a bit confusing. The first tech told me to put the file on the sd card method and it should detect the update (which didn't work). The second tech told me to put the firmware update in the root folder of the tablet and it should detect the update (that also didn't work). A little confusing that they provide firmware updates yet they don't "officially" support the files from their own website. So I guess at the end of the day I'm stuck at Kitkat, disappointing...
    Asus tech support...

Have you tried the key combos suggested in the linked document for the Zenfone range I linked in Post#2 of the guide thread (see post#2 in this thread for that link)?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Asus tech support...

Have you tried the key combos suggested in the linked document for the Zenfone range I linked in Post#2 of the guide thread (see post#2 in this thread for that link)?
    Just tried the Volume - and Power On and ended up in "safe mode". Not much luck with it I have to say. It's a stubborn tablet to work with. I find it confusing that Asus provides firmware updates for this but why will they not even officially support them. Very strange. Wouldn't it make sense to push out the 144 and Lollipop update as an OTA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links