Thread: [ SOLVED ] tf103c - not charging to 100%

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times

[ SOLVED ] tf103c - not charging to 100%

After a few weeks my tablet now does not charge to 100% (or at least the monitor says it is not charging to full - it charges anywhere from 70 - 85%). I have noticed a bit of help if I have the unit powered off when charging, but it is disconcerting to not be fully charged. I searched hard and only found
    1 thread from the UK referencing this problem. Suggested solution was factory reset but no real follow up to verify solution worked.

I transferred my tf300t to this unit and have little interest in the wipe clean and start over solution so anyone that can help?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    2 times
    Happened to mine too. I read it somewhere that charger sometimes delivers more output than that the battery can handle. Try charge it by USB and it will go fully (at least mine was). Then use it until fully discharge and in the next time it will be OK. Hope this helps.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for such a quick response - I will try this today and report back results in a few days.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Welcome to the forum both

The reason for this happening (& the solution) is thoroughly explained in the definitive guide to battery/charging on Asus tablets - the thread is linked in the Master Help Guide (link in my signature below).

Nothing to worry about & easily rectified - but it has nothing to do with the charger being too powerful for the battery!

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks to both of you.

I did as originally suggested - usb low powered charge to 100%, drain to 0 and then charged overnight to 100%. If this holds will call fixed unless you see another post from me.

In the master guide the not charging to full solution was attempted by me before writing the request for help and did not work. Draining battery and charging with tab powered off had no effect for my problem. It seems the low powered charging then calibrating was very much on target.

Thanks again

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    Well - not yet successfully fixed. Can still get to 100% with charging from PC USB port but mostly not from the wall charger. Will read the battery post again to see if there is an untried trick there and experiment on my own for a bit. Will post results.

BTW - doesn't seem to be faulty monitor. Any ideas on how to check that would be helpful.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm having the same problem and have sent my tf103 back to ASUS twice now. The first time they said they replaced the battery but the probelm still occurred. I got it back the second time after the tech claimed he couldn't see anything wrong with the tablet and sent it back without repair. The tablet did indeed seem to charge to full but I was a bit suspicious as the wall wart seemed to have been wrapped in some kind of sticker and then had it removed, leaving a large amount of white residue. My wall wart didn't look like this when I sent it in. I checked the serial number on the tablet and they swapped it. Now I'm not sure if they are trying to be deceptive and tell me there is nothing wrong but send me a different tablet and hope I wouldn't notice, or if the tech support guys accidentally swapped my tablet with another one sent in for a different reason. Either way I'm pretty annoyed.

I'm using the one they sent me and it does not suffer from the issue, so I'm guessing it's some kind of hardware issue rather than software (At least I don't see what I'm doing different with this tablet than the last one). If they really did swap the battery out the first time, then I'm guessing it's probably not the battery causing the problem. Unfortunately I didn't try charging the tablet via USB on the PC. I did try factory resets, running the battery down, charging with the power off, etc. Nothing worked. The only thing I noticed was the lower I ran the battery, the less high the maximum charge would go up to. When I ran the battery down really low, it only came back to about 35% before it would say charging was finished.

I left a review on newegg about it and noticed there was another review complaining about the same problem. I guess these are not isolated cases. I bought the tablet in August and have been dealing with this ever since. At this point I'm thinking I'll cut my losses and drop the whole thing. Very frustrating experience.

Stu

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    3 times
    I had the same problem with my tf103c. It wouldn't charge to 100% and I only had it out of the box 2 or 3 days.

The fix for me was the trick mentioned above. Plug it into the USB port and let it charge that way. Something about being plugged into the power directly seems to confuse the battery.

So anyone having problems try charging via USB cable to your computer.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    A couple of things - first, the battery charge remaining reporting is wrong when this occurs. After running unimpeded for an hour after showing 1% remaining I was able to cold boot. When this happened the monitor showed 39% remaining. Second - so far the cold boot has now allowed the wall charger to fill to near that 100% thingy.

Far too many things tried to give a firm 'this worked' except that (as one might expect) the forcefulness of a cold boot really did clear some cache like info that messed with battery capacity reporting. I believe calibration followed by a cold boot would have a high probability of working.

ODDITY - when looking at battery stats the reporting would say the tablet had been on for 2 days when I had shut it down to charge at least 4 times along the way.

NOW WHAT IS UP WITH COLD BOOT?- I cannot replicate actions to make cold boot work so I can provide guidance. I have not been able to return to the droidboot,reboot, recovery and power off screen since the reboot. I took forever to get there in the first place and the actions that worked then are not working now. So, in case it happens better for you, when it did work it was from a powered off state - hold power and vol+. Release power button when screen goes blank. Release vol. Tap power (screen flashes) and then hold vol+ until the recovery screen appears. Use volume to toggle to reboot for what I call the cold boot. Droidboot will get you to flashboot and other neat stuff if you are prepared.

Good luck. Will write again if this ends up failing as well.

Does anyone have a repeatable entry into recovery? I also tried putting my finger on top of my head, doing three full turns and chanting the Google code of conduct - didn't work....

Also - searching through google found this problem with Samsung and HTC as well. Instances from as far back as 2011 with the same symptoms. So thinking it is a combination of battery and android events not specific to a manufacturer is happening here. Some often claim calibration worked and others seemed to only resolve with calibration and cold boot. Some never found a solution....

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    3 times
    "Does anyone have a repeatable entry into recovery?"

For me I can do it consistently by doing the following;

1. Power off completely.
    2. Remove charging cable.
    3. Hold down volume-UP button.
    4. Press power and hold it until the "ASUS- In search of Incredible screen flashes on." Quickly release both power and volume buttons and it will boot into recovery menu.
    eejit likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links