Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnMcD348

Thread: Who's upgraded to Lollipop? What's the Good, Bad and the Ugly on it?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    10 times

Who's upgraded to Lollipop? What's the Good, Bad and the Ugly on it?

OK, just wondering about it since they say you cannot downgrade if you make the change. I see on the list that they take out quite a few things with this upgrade. Most of them I never really used but, I did like the Dual App feature a lot. I also noticed there were different changes between the TW and WW version.

So, how does it do with our Tablets?

What improvements are there to it over KitKat?

Anyone seeing any real improvements other than that "New Car Smell". Most say it runs faster than before, but I wonder how much of that is just because of the reboot reset from the new OS install.

So, anyway.

What's the Good, the Bad and the Ugly since upgrading the OS?

Thanks

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Hi. I'm not sure if this article will cover any of your concerns, it does cover the differences between KitKat and Lolipop....

Android Lollipop vs. Android KitKat: New Features & Material Design Explored | Know Your Mobile

You are right about updates speeding up the performance. Not sure which flavour smells better...
    Last edited by Swipe; 02-06-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    10 times
    I read that one just earlier today while I was trying to decide if I wanted to update or not. I like the idea that the new OS will make my SD Card look and work like physical memory for the device. I've had a 64gb card since day one and, if I read it right, will make the TF103 think the onboard and SD card are essentially one memory.
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    1 times
    At least for me, major flaw is that there is (at the moment) no option to root LP...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    10 times
    I was going to go ahead and throw caution into the wind and do the update but I can't seem to get it to work on mine.

No Root. I downloaded the update and the tablet doesn't seem to recognize it's there.

I "think", at least pretty sure, that I followed the directions in the other thread about it that gave the link to the PDF on how to perform the update. I downloaded the proper version for my tablet. placed it into the onboard SDCard storage area.

Tried it with the .zip file in place and with the unzipped folder in place and so far neither way has gotten the attention of the OS that there is an update sitting on the tablet waiting to be installed.

I had these same issues with it doing the minor updates since I've owned it. When I would go through and check for updates and it would download them, they would never install. There was always an error with the update. However, when they would somehow download on it's own without my prompting, it would install and do fine. I have the .144 update and remember when it came out. Seems like it took about a month or so for it to finally download and be recognized for the update.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Try placing the firmware update file in the top directory internal storage... [/]

Then perform a Cold Boot - the system will probaby recognize the update firmware (assuming you've dowloaded the correct SKU for your model and renamed it -- if that's part of the procedure... check the procedure carefully....) It may find the update and issue you a notification that an update is available.
    This seems to work on earlier Asus Transformers. I don't have a TF103

Asus download page
    ASUS Transformer Pad (TF103CE) | Tablets | ASUS Global

There seems to be only one firmware listed --CN_12.10.3.24 - November 25, 2015

Please note CN normally refers to a Chinese version of the firmware. Best to phone Asus about firmware for your TF103.

The TF103CE product page now lists Android 5.0 Lolipop as the the stock version.

Check your settings>about tablet What android version do you have? The build #?
    Last edited by Swipe; 02-08-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    10 times
    So I guess the OS update would wipe out the tablet anyway? I was hoping to NOT have to reinstall all my apps on this tablet.

As for my current version: 4.2.2

and my current version from Asus is the .144 that seems to be the newest.

lastly, don't know if it really makes a difference but I'm in the U.S.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    You can only use the version of the firmware that came with your device - in your case that would be US.

A standard OTA update would leave everything intact. A manual update from recovery - the tf103 does things differently to other previous TFs - may well wipe the device. Backup first & also read this thread...
    [GUIDE] How to update your firmware OTA - incremental changes & full OS updates.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links