Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Will the TF103C receive lollipop Android OS update?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Will the TF103C receive lollipop Android OS update?

Hello all.

Yesterday i bought a Asus TF103C with dock along with a MicroSD 64GB card.

a few minutes ago i tried it for the first time and found out the hard way that KitKat OS does not let Your apps save stuff on your external microSD.

i bought this tablet for only a main purpose - read and edit several type of docs (doc, ppt, etc...) on my class.
    tried several office apps ( free ones) and same warning appears when i edit a text and try to save it in the external card. I CANT!
    i have to save it on internal mem then manually copy it on external mem and erase all "older" versions of the document.

im talking about several dozens of GB in documents! this is insane!

my question is:

Will this tablet receive android Lollipop 4.5?
    cause i searched online and it appears google may go back on that "non writing on external memory" restriction crap.

i am very very sad i got a "decent" tablet and a crappy Os. i should have gone windows...

should i wait? or should i return this tablet right away? because this is not acceptable.

i bought the external microSd card at my expense, therefor its mine and i should be able to use it as i see fit.
    Goggle has no business in how i manage and where i save my stuff.

if anyone knows more about this subject please let me know as soon as possible. i am sure im not the only one in this boat.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Welcome to the forum

1) Android Kit Kat has been well discussed for its limitations re: external memory
    2) I strongly doubt that any future iteration of the OS will backtrack on that - the reason it was introduced is twofold. Firstly system stability, secondly, Google expect / want everyone to use the cloud.
    3) If Lollipop does come to the TF103 (android 5.0) then I would expect it to still be 3-6 months away.

In short, you might well be better off to return the device for a Windows one if you really cannot organise your working methods to suit the Android imposed restrictions.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

1) Android Kit Kat has been well discussed for its limitations re: external memory
    2) I strongly doubt that any future iteration of the OS will backtrack on that - the reason it was introduced is twofold. Firstly system stability, secondly, Google expect / want everyone to use the cloud.
    3) If Lollipop does come to the TF103 (android 5.0) then I would expect it to still be 3-6 months away.

In short, you might well be better off to return the device for a Windows one if you really cannot organise your working methods to suit the Android imposed restrictions.

All the best
    thank you for your quick response

1) i did NOT knew (NOR does many people and retail sellers here where i live)about this Illegal move from google cause:
    its my tablet, my personal info, my sd card, my money so they have no business blocking LEGIT apps from saving work info no MY sd card.

2) google lost all my respect trying to pull this off cause:
    - there isn't that much of system stability then previous android releases PLUS the "security reasons" are just BS cause if there was real major danger sensitive info would leak all over then all equipment would stop from having sd card slots.

besides from fact that people are sick and tired from this kit kat huge fail.
    ( yes i read many other forums online and can sense major frustration towards this android os version there is even a petition to fix this SD card NONSENSE)

google is turning to be just another "apple" as they just want money from their cloud storage by trying to slowly kill portable external memory like cards.

3) i am awaiting some feedback from asus cause i REALLY like their tablet and its not asus fault their tablet came with a crap android OS that almost makes my sd card useless.

4) maybe lollipop wont fix this issue but i will try to know as much as i can casue i really want to keep this tablet... and i still have 14 days to return this device and buy a windows OS one that i was avoiding cause W8 is a fail but still way better than a OS that out of greed prevents me from saving info on my SD card.

all the best.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Well you clearly are not happy with this change & I can understand why, but just to clarify...

1) The change is not illegal as you suggest. It is a change to the way the OS works & the author of the OS - in this case Google - want it to be that way & that is their decision.
    2) Asus are not going to be able to help you.
    3) App developers can update their apps to comply with the more stringent requirements that Google have imposed on external storage, but they don't seem keen to do so.
    4) The system instabilities that are well reported with external memory - battery drain, random reboots, apps failing because they have been "moved" to SD & the SD card removed etc etc - are well documented as is this change with KitKat & that is the key reason why the change happened.
    5) I don't think greed comes into it - I rarely use commercial cloud storage because I have no need to, but even then I still have...
    FREE 2gb with DropBox
    FREE 15gb with Google Drive (per Google account, & we have 4 which equates to 60gb)
    FREE 5gb with Amazon
    FREE 50gb with Box
    FREE 30gb with OneDrive

That's 137gb of FREE commercial cloud storage without even trying hard.

I use both Android & Apple devices & even with the somewhat closed Apple OS I still have no difficulties. It is just a matter of adjusting ones working practise to the requirements of the OS. Personally, I use network attached storage (NAS) and that deals with all of these issues quite nicely.

Having said all that, as upset as you clearly are, I still think one of the Windows options might be better for you - the Asus T100 is well liked here.

Whatever you choose, I hope it goes well for you.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Well you clearly are not happy with this change & I can understand why, but just to clarify...

1) The change is not illegal as you suggest. It is a change to the way the OS works & the author of the OS - in this case Google - want it to be that way & that is their decision.
    2) Asus are not going to be able to help you.
    3) App developers can update their apps to comply with the more stringent requirements that Google have imposed on external storage, but they don't seem keen to do so.
    4) The system instabilities that are well reported with external memory - battery drain, random reboots, apps failing because they have been "moved" to SD & the SD card removed etc etc - are well documented as is this change with KitKat & that is the key reason why the change happened.
    5) I don't think greed comes into it - I rarely use commercial cloud storage because I have no need to, but even then I still have...
    FREE 2gb with DropBox
    FREE 15gb with Google Drive (per Google account, & we have 4 which equates to 60gb)
    FREE 5gb with Amazon
    FREE 50gb with Box
    FREE 30gb with OneDrive

That's 137gb of FREE commercial cloud storage without even trying hard.

I use both Android & Apple devices & even with the somewhat closed Apple OS I still have no difficulties. It is just a matter of adjusting ones working practise to the requirements of the OS. Personally, I use network attached storage (NAS) and that deals with all of these issues quite nicely.

Having said all that, as upset as you clearly are, I still think one of the Windows options might be better for you - the Asus T100 is well liked here.

Whatever you choose, I hope it goes well for you.

Hello again.
    1) IT is illegal. just cause Google made the OS is none of their business preventing users from using the SD cards customers buy for their devices.

Do car manufacturers mess up (via sofware) their car engines speed and/ performance so people crash less? NO.
    people own those cars the moment they buy them. its their responsibility to use them properly and drive safe!

google has no business doing the same thing!
    its my ASUS tablet and my Kignston SD card the moment i buy those with my money.
    it is greed. pure corporate Greed in order to sell more cloud storage.

2) i know asus wont be help much but i must try.
    3) From all the forums i read....and you can document all instabilities you want...
    but the fact remains : People hate kit kat and most wish to roll back to previous android versions and they cant.

4) yes there is a lot of free cloud storage in general. i need None!
    but if i wanted that sort of thing i would just buy from a 2TB to 12TB western digital "my cloud edition" external drive that i could access anywhere in the world via internet and it would be MY personal cloud.

and more important:
    you know there are places that do not have internet that makes this cloud option useless right?
    and that's my case. i do love have memory with me in my pocket that i can access anywhere anytime not depending on a net connection to access to it.
    it is vital to me.

in the end google just made a really bad call. many people left Apple stuff for reasons like these and now google does the same thing.
    i sure hope Goggle listens to users and go back on this call. cause if this decision is not abolished windows will earn many many new users i can tell you that much.

google is taking a road they said they would not take as they are becoming the evil corporation they said they would not become in the beginning.
    and i do remember the beginning. i remember 10 years ago Gmail appearing and i got one of the early invites to create an e-mail account and since then no more hotmail for me.

bottom line? google could just ask users if they LET apps write on their SD card. much simpler instead of just blocking everything!

All the best.
    Last edited by Miguell026; 10-19-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I do understand what you are saying, but again, for the sake of clarity & in both the strict definition of language and semantically - this change is most definitely not illegal.

Merriam Webster Dictionary -
    illegal
    : not allowed by the law : not legal
    : not allowed by the rules in a game

Certainly both the products you have bought are yours & you may use them as you wish within the technical limits of the products you have purchased, but Google changing their software is completely a matter for them.

Your choice was to purchase a Google Android powered device manufactured by Asus which came with KitKat pre loaded. "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware) means that researching a product prior to purchase is essential if you wish to use a product in a particular way. Past experience alone is insufficient to guide a decision in a technical landscape where things might have changed.

Oh, and also for the record, motor manufacturers do control & limit both the acceleration rates, fuel consumption & maximum power outputs of their vehicle engines for all manner of reasons - including safety.

But, as I say, I do understand both your frustration & irritation and I have also commented here in another thread that my personal belief is that Google are taking Android in a direction which will make it less and less open & more & more restrictive. They will do this for their own commercial reasons.

I don't think I have any more to say on this now, but I hope that you enjoy whatever device you end up with.
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I do understand what you are saying, but again, for the sake of clarity & in both the strict definition of language and semantically - this change is most definitely not illegal.

Merriam Webster Dictionary -
    illegal
    : not allowed by the law : not legal
    : not allowed by the rules in a game

Certainly both the products you have bought are yours & you may use them as you wish within the technical limits of the products you have purchased, but Google changing their software is completely a matter for them.

Your choice was to purchase a Google Android powered device manufactured by Asus which came with KitKat pre loaded. "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware) means that researching a product prior to purchase is essential if you wish to use a product in a particular way. Past experience alone is insufficient to guide a decision in a technical landscape where things might have changed.

Oh, and also for the record, motor manufacturers do control & limit both the acceleration rates, fuel consumption & maximum power outputs of their vehicle engines for all manner of reasons - including safety.

But, as I say, I do understand both your frustration & irritation and I have also commented here in another thread that my personal belief is that Google are taking Android in a direction which will make it less and less open & more & more restrictive. They will do this for their own commercial reasons.

I don't think I have any more to say on this now, but I hope that you enjoy whatever device you end up with.

sure sure..!! perfectly legal to prevent all of a sudden users from properly using their sd cards they bought for their devices witch have sd card slots!
    i can even see the faces of users that updated to 4.4 specially the professional users that now could not use their sd cards anymore! im sure they fell all this is very legal indeed!
    perfectly legal and it makes sense!!
    you keep telling that to yourself as much as you can to justify the new hitler OS android has become. use all the dictionaries you want. i recognize illegal actions when i see one!
    as if the rotten apple ios was not enough with those limitation policies.

Google is done for with decisions like these!
    if i wanted limitations and dictatorship i would go apple. these are signs google is going downhill.
    and for me? im jumping out of this boat!

and from what i see ... the petition to fix kit kat is going for months now! months! Google has no respect for their customers!
    google does not even care about customers any more to fix a damn comand line to able the sd card writing.

And you know a simple command line is all it takes to fix all this.. the instructions are online! so simple and i would do it i f i had a rooted device. but the warranty on my new equipment would be lost.

BY THE way i researched the tablet! but not the android os it self!
    there were NO warning anywhere google has gone into a dictatorship spree! even the vendors at the store where surprised they really did this to customers AND programers of the legit apps!

tomorrow my windows 8.1 Asus T100 tablet arrives.
    Microsoft may be a gran greedy idiot on some decisions but it is not a dictator idiot on how we can use our stuff and limit our use to internal memory.
    besides there are rumors windows may be willing to update windows for free starting from windows 10 like apple does or google does when a new os comes out and an update is available. very uncertain yet about that option but it seems on the table....

thank you for your time. just hope you gain some sense and not become a blind corporate defender like those brainless apple fans that eat everything apple puts in front of them.
    Last edited by Miguell026; 10-22-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    39 times
    Per ASUS USA call center Android 5.0 will happen sometime for us tablet users ...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    0 times
    Miguell026 Perhaps you should get a lawyer and file charges against them. I'm certain you could find an attorney to take the case, if you paid in advance. I don't think any would take it on a retainer because they know they (you) would be laughed out of court. By the way, I read the specs before I purchased mine, so I knew what to expect.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    0 times
    The tf103c supports OTG, so maybe it's your microSD that you should return and then buy an OTG cable and a 64GB USB stick instead. That will solve the problem at hand.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links