Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Root android kitkat on a TF103

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi, i'm new to the transformer family but i've achieved root. Now my question is (couldn't find any answer elsewhere) are there any custom recoveries and/or rom's for the tf103c?
    Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmfc36 View Post
    Hi, i'm new to the transformer family but i've achieved root. Now my question is (couldn't find any answer elsewhere) are there any custom recoveries and/or rom's for the tf103c?
    Thanks for your help.
    I think I have stated this many times. The Intel chipset in the tf103 is not very conducive to development. Since this device has not been considered to be flagship or mainstream I doubt that any developers would try to get on board a d developed ROMs and recoveries for it.
    rpmfc36 likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmfc36 View Post
    ... custom recoveries ...
    Someone has already started a topic for recovery and gotten no response. You could have searched.

Quote Originally Posted by AMGtanner00;
    The Intel chipset in the tf103 is not very conducive to development.
    The intel chipset is the most conducive to development thing about this tablet. Android-ia sees enough dev activity and the Baytrail SoC itself has a lot of interest behind it. The problem is the weird firmware Asus has slapped on the tf103. It's Windows brother, the t100, uses a UEFI bootloader (still 32-bit requiring a patch). This one uses an Android-centric bootloader DroidBoot and a non-stock recovery.

Moving this thread back on topic (mod... ):

All TF103c can be rooted with the RootZenFone tool, if they are shipped with the demo mode software. Some SKUs (in my case BBY) omit the needed tools. IN THEORY, any SKU can run the WW firmware and install super user (Asian keyboard not withstanding).

You can change the SKU in fastboot by flashing the images from inside the 2.2.33-WW update. Attempting to run an update to the WW SKU software through the normal methods still fails because the software versions (2.0.3-BBY and 2.2.33-WW) aren't compatible.

~~Are there tricks to getting Recovery to display a menu? Are there ways to boot into recovery with a zip preselected (As Asus Update does)?~~

I'm stuck on flashing /system. I'm guessing it may have to be directly flashed to the partition in fastboot. This leaves me stuck at how to make an image that will work on the tf103. Anyone have any advice?

EDIT Recovery menu: Hold down vol- for 3 seconds, continue holding and press vol+

Once in the recovery menu, you can start an ADB session. I only tried sideloading, but this time the actual installation error is logged to screen. WW SKU updates aren't signed the same as BBY updates.

So its starting to look like we're limited to flashing partition images.
    Last edited by d3dc; 09-27-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, update from me too .

I have successfully rooted my TF103C via the RootZenFone-1.4.2r.apk. I just transferred the apk file to memory card in the tablet, turned off wifi(and turned on airplane mode), installed the apk and ran the root command from it. Phone entered the asus demo mode via this procedure, I waited some 10-15 seconds and restarted the tablet. Upon the reboot the tablet ran some updating procedure and now when I check the root status via CPUz it says it's rooted.

I will create a microSD partition for installations of future apps via mini partition tool program and see if link2SD works as intended.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    0 times
    How can I unroot the tf103c?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad7801 View Post
    How can I unroot the tf103c?
    Use the same (Root Zenfone) APK that you used to root it. It has an 'unroot' option.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    3 times
    McGurggle, thanks for the instructions. It worked perfectly on mine.

Patrice, thanks for doing this thread. I can't stand a tablet that isn't rooted and now mine is.
    shihaiai and eejit like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello! Newbie here! tried the Zentool but to no avail i keep getting a Failed response. Any other options i can do? Ive been rooting all my phones (lg,samsung.htc) tablets (toshiba,samsung.lg) but this one is giving me a hard time lol. help appreciated!

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk 2

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gejenn View Post
    Hello! Newbie here! tried the Zentool but to no avail i keep getting a Failed response. Any other options i can do? Ive been rooting all my phones (lg,samsung.htc) tablets (toshiba,samsung.lg) but this one is giving me a hard time lol. help appreciated!

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk 2
    Follow all of McGurggle's comments just as he posted them and see if that works for you. They worked the first time for me;

I didnt turn on plane mode. Browse to the apk file with your File Manager and click. It will ask to install. "Yes". Run it and when the 'other screen' comes on then switch off. Leave for a few seconds and reboot. Should be rooted.
    McG
    BTW.....USE "RootZenFone-1.4.2r.apk"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    1 times
    What does he mean by the "other screen"? This is while installing the Zenroot apk file or after its installed and running the Zenroot file?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by gejenn; 11-30-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links