Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: NEED Stock Android 4.0.3 ROM to Flash to recover my TF101A to Stock from Rooted

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

NEED Stock Android 4.0.3 ROM to Flash to recover my TF101A to Stock from Rooted

I have searched all over the ASUS site and I keep getting a blank screen when looking for the last STOCK 4.0.3 ROM to flash to my TF101A (16GB) in an attempt to return it to "stock" from KatKiss 4.4.4.

Can anyone provide me with a download link to a stock 4.0.3 ROM and which file to snag?

Can anyone also suggest a tutorial to basically Unroot my TF101 from KatKiss, I bought it used rooted (without notice) and I am completely a noob to Rooting (or UnRooting). Also what Rooting app I should use?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

Need Help Unrooting, Removiing KatKiss 4.4.4 and reverting to a Stock 4.0.3 ROM TF101

Hi, . . . I'm a Noob to Rooting, need to get that out of the way.

I just bought a used ASUS TF101A with KB dock off EBay to replace mine that suffered a premature death in a flood. I was running the last version of ICS, 4.03 on my previous TF101A. This one was advertised as "Excellent" and it is very clean but stinking of cigarette smoke, except that the jerk EBay seller failed to mention that was Rooted and running KatKiss 4.4.4 which I hate, the desktop is essentially blank, there are like 6 apps in the library and no Google Play access. I'm sure those that are into Custom ROM's are in love with KatKiss, BUT It is useless to me and I really want to return it to factory ROM (last one) so I can and my daughter use it.

Not being familiar at all with Rooting and Flashing, can someone please help and direct me on how to
    Remove KatKiss and restore it to at least a full Factory install of ICS with all the original apps, Google Play access, etc. ... well like it wold have been stock.

Also, where do I find a copy of the stock ASUS ICS 4.0.3 ROM, I've looked at the ASUS site and when selecting the TF101A device, all I get is a near blank page with nothing to select or download.

Thanks in advance.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1222 times
    Please note I have merged your nearly identical threads/posts into one thread and placed it in the ROM section of the TF101 forum. Multiple theads/posts on the same subject are against forum guidelines. It causes duplication of effort for us as well as fragmentation of information for members looking for solutions to similar problems. The Guidelines of Conduct are linked below in my Signature.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1222 times
    If you got the TF101A from a US seller it most likely is the US version of the SKU you should download. If you are located in Europe it would be the WW version. The 4.0.3 ICS file is there...

http://www.asus.com/supportonly/Eee%...Desk_download/

Screenshot -- download the proper file for your "SKU" region.

17 March, 2015 54541 PM PDT.png

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    670 times
    Quote Originally Posted by makeitworst View Post
    Hi, . . . I'm a Noob to Rooting, need to get that out of the way.

I just bought a used ASUS TF101A with KB dock off EBay to replace mine that suffered a premature death in a flood. I was running the last version of ICS, 4.03 on my previous TF101A. This one was advertised as "Excellent" and it is very clean but stinking of cigarette smoke, except that the jerk EBay seller failed to mention that was Rooted and running KatKiss 4.4.4 which I hate, the desktop is essentially blank, there are like 6 apps in the library and no Google Play access. I'm sure those that are into Custom ROM's are in love with KatKiss, BUT It is useless to me and I really want to return it to factory ROM (last one) so I can and my daughter use it.

Not being familiar at all with Rooting and Flashing, can someone please help and direct me on how to
    Remove KatKiss and restore it to at least a full Factory install of ICS with all the original apps, Google Play access, etc. ... well like it wold have been stock.

Also, where do I find a copy of the stock ASUS ICS 4.0.3 ROM, I've looked at the ASUS site and when selecting the TF101A device, all I get is a near blank page with nothing to select or download.

Thanks in advance.
    First of all, the tablet is not as advertised. Return it to the seller if you're not happy. Who knows what else someone who's deceptive in selling AND sells it basically non-functional has done to it. Doesn't instill confidence....
    It seems the seller just neglected to flash the so called gapps (G-apps = Google apps) like the Play Store, Chrome, Google Music and all the other standard apps.
    KitKat is one of the best roms for this tablet and a much better performer than the stock rom. In my book it's a shame to flash Asus stock back, but if you are looking for the Asus stock experience that is what you'll have to do., because you won't get any of the Asus apps back even when flashing the gapps.
    But why not try it?
    Go here: http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...TF101&p=28&s=1
    Scroll down in the first post to the Downloads section and download the last file there, the gapps for KatKiss 4.4.4.
    Load that zip file on a microSD and insert it into the tablet.
    With a custom rom you most likely also have a custom recovery which you will use to flash that zip (later I'll explain how to flash the Asus stock firmware, using the same procedure - so follow along here).

Power the tablet down completely.
    Boot it holding the Volume Down button and Power button at the same time. Let go when you see a screen with some icons. Now - I don't know what bootloader you have installed, but the screen you just booted to should tell you in some tiny script. Write it down, we may need it later.
    Depending on what bootloader you have installed, there could be different ways to get into your recovery. If you're lucky, you don't have to do anything. Watch for some script that may tell you that the tablet will boot recovery in 5, 4, 3, 2 seconds.
    Could also be that you have a few icons there, one of them called RCK. Highlight that icon by pressing the Vol Down button repeatedly, then press Vol Up to boot the recovery.
    You should now enter your custom recovery. The banner should tell you which one you got. Write it down, including the version # and post it here.
    In that recovery somewhere you have the option to "Install" something. Choose that option. Then you will get some kind of file browser enabling you to navigate to the zip on your microSD card. Choose the zip, then hit install and let it finish.
    Afterwards go back to the home screen and reboot to system.
    You will now have a bunch more apps installed.

To flash the Asus firmware you use the same procedure as above. Only first you download the firmware from the link Swipe posted already. That file is a zip inside a zip and you have to extract it once to get at the second zip file.
    Use 7zip or something similar to do it. The file you want to have will be called "eepad-version-number-user.zip" or something similar. The file you download has UPDATELAUNCHER.zip in it's name. Inside is the .....user.zip you need.
    Copy .....user.zip to your microSD (or your internal storage) and then do exactly as above:
    Enter recovery
    Choose Install
    navigate to the file
    install it
    reboot

I know, for someone totally new to this, this is a lot. But believe me, it is the easiest way to get you either a working rom or back to stock..... If you don't feel up to this procedure, return it.
    Last edited by droidbound; 03-17-2015 at 09:35 PM.
    Swipe likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Android 7 Nougat/Google Fi stock (for now)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    First of all, the tablet is not as advertised. Return it to the seller if you're not happy. Who knows what else someone who's deceptive in selling AND sells it basically non-functional has done to it. Doesn't instill confidence....
    It seems the seller just neglected to flash the so called gapps (G-apps = Google apps) like the Play Store, Chrome, Google Music and all the other standard apps.
    KitKat is one of the best roms for this tablet and a much better performer than the stock rom. In my book it's a shame to flash Asus stock back, but if you are looking for the Asus stock experience that is what you'll have to do., because you won't get any of the Asus apps back even when flashing the gapps.
    But why not try it?
    Go here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Eee Pad Transformer TF101
    Scroll down in the first post to the Downloads section and download the last file there, the gapps for KatKiss 4.4.4.
    Load that zip file on a microSD and insert it into the tablet.
    With a custom rom you most likely also have a custom recovery which you will use to flash that zip (later I'll explain how to flash the Asus stock firmware, using the same procedure - so follow along here).

Power the tablet down completely.
    Boot it holding the Volume Down button and Power button at the same time. Let go when you see a screen with some icons. Now - I don't know what bootloader you have installed, but the screen you just booted to should tell you in some tiny script. Write it down, we may need it later.
    Depending on what bootloader you have installed, there could be different ways to get into your recovery. If you're lucky, you don't have to do anything. Watch for some script that may tell you that the tablet will boot recovery in 5, 4, 3, 2 seconds.
    Could also be that you have a few icons there, one of them called RCK. Highlight that icon by pressing the Vol Down button repeatedly, then press Vol Up to boot the recovery.
    You should now enter your custom recovery. The banner should tell you which one you got. Write it down, including the version # and post it here.
    In that recovery somewhere you have the option to "Install" something. Choose that option. Then you will get some kind of file browser enabling you to navigate to the zip on your microSD card. Choose the zip, then hit install and let it finish.
    Afterwards go back to the home screen and reboot to system.
    You will now have a bunch more apps installed.

To flash the Asus firmware you use the same procedure as above. Only first you download the firmware from the link Swipe posted already. That file is a zip inside a zip and you have to extract it once to get at the second zip file.
    Use 7zip or something similar to do it. The file you want to have will be called "eepad-version-number-user.zip" or something similar. The file you download has UPDATELAUNCHER.zip in it's name. Inside is the .....user.zip you need.
    Copy .....user.zip to your microSD (or your internal storage) and then do exactly as above:
    Enter recovery
    Choose Install
    navigate to the file
    install it
    reboot

I know, for someone totally new to this, this is a lot. But believe me, it is the easiest way to get you either a working rom or back to stock..... If you don't feel up to this procedure, return it.
    @droidbound -

I ought to return it just for the stinking smell of cigarettes! But other than that, it appears to be very clean and running, though I can't check the MicroSD port or the USB's in the KB dock since there is no File Brower or anything installed to check that they (ports) are working and readable.

OK, you've convinced me to at least try to make this KatKiss install usable.... question first, are there any non-functional aspects of KatKiss 4.4.4 like BlueTooth, GPS, Magnetometer, ports, cameras, etc? Or was everything sorted out to work as normal??

Do All Play Store apps work as if this was a Stock ROM of Android?

The link you posted, I think is not what you intended? It leads to the ASUS TF101 "Support Site", not one with support or files for KatKiss. Can you check that, please?

While I'm a real Noob to Android hacking (Rooting), I've been in UNIX, Windows and Mac IT for a couple + Decades. Mostly on the hardware side, some SW writing and tweaking. So I'm not a total bozo and willing to try something new.

Very much appreciate the help and guidance, once I get thru the first rounds I'm sure I'll experiment more with Android Rooting. My wife has a Samsung Android phone and tablet that really needs rooting.

I hope you and the others don't mind if I ask more and sometimes apparently stupid sounding questions. Have some pity on the Noob.

Thanks

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    670 times
    Ask away - that's what we are here for.
    Here's the link:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2592890
    I don't have a 101, but I think pretty much everything works. Check the OP, check the change log and read the last few pages of the thread.
    Play Store apps work fine. I think it would be more likely that you run into apps that do not run on ICS than on KatKiss KK 😉
    Last edited by droidbound; 03-18-2015 at 03:02 PM.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Android 7 Nougat/Google Fi stock (for now)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Here's the link:
    [ROM][KK 4.4.4] [ KatKiss-KitKat #036 ] [Sta… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums
    I don't have a 101, but I think pretty much everything works. Check the OP, check the change log and read the last few pages of the thread.
    Play Store apps work fine. I think it would be more likely that you run into apps that do not run on ICS than on KatKiss KK 
    I've download the gapps file from the KatKiss site, I'll give this a shot tomorrow and report back either happy or in a stressed out condition asking for advice.

Thanks very much!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    670 times
    I just hope you don't live up to your screen name
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Here's the link:
    [ROM][KK 4.4.4] [ KatKiss-KitKat #036 ] [Sta… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums
    Play Store apps work fine. I think it would be more likely that you run into apps that do not run on ICS than on KatKiss KK 
    Whoa! I've tried the cold boot - pwr/volume down buttons - but it goes so fast I'm need seeming to get anywhere before it starts to do a normal boot.

I noticed that on the Shut Down menu (from normal boot) there is a selection for "Boot to Recovery", then after it reboots, the next screen is a TWRP screen with various selections. Not sure where to go from there. if I should proceed. See screen photos below.

Thanks

Ps - I had an Small Biz/residential IT/IS company that went in after the notorious "Make It Work" company screwed up customers computer systems and networks. We ran a commercial on the Radio in So Cal that referred to them as "Make It Worst" and we "Make it Right".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links