Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: NEED Stock Android 4.0.3 ROM to Flash to recover my TF101A to Stock from Rooted

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    697 times
    Quote Originally Posted by makeitworst View Post
    Well I did some Google research on any reasons to Root an TF101 running ICS (4.03), but to be honest not one post gave me a hard concrete reason to do so. Some educated (in rooting) sounding posters even warned against it unless the motive is to install a custom ROM, saying it can make thing "buggy", with no explanation why. Have your seen that??
    Root gives you write access to the system partition - nothing more. If you then proceed to uninstall needed system components - that will make it buggy.....
    I was thinking of Rooting just to delete the garbage apps and bloatware, which slows the system down, that came with ASUS Android OS, or their updates. But many pointed out that you can nearly accomplish the same by "disabling" apps from the App Menu, some apparently will uninstall themselves (I've never seen that trick though). However the bare un-updated app is still physically there taking up space. I have no use for crap like Google+ or their other apps that more than likely need you to buy something - music, books, movies. So also things like Netflix, Amazon, Rapsody, games, etc, I'd love to delete.
    Bloatware is installed to the system partition. That's why you can't remove it without root. System is never used for storage or user apps, so you do not gain a kb of space deleting them. You may improve performance and battery life by getting rid of apps that constantly connect to their server like many social media apps do, but disabling them has the same effect. Question is if disabling survives a reboot. For some it may, for other apps it won't.....

Would this be a cogent reason to Root my TF101 running stock ICS 4.03, or just use the "Disable" feature. Then there is bumping processor speeds.
    Now - either you tinker or you don't! To overclock you need a kernel that supports it. For that you need a custom Rom that sports such a kernel. The stock kernel doesn't.
    Questions: TWRP is a Rooting tool? Does TWRP allow for bumping the Nvidia Tegra 2 processor speed?
    No. TWRP is a recovery which is like a mini OS with it's own kernel living on it's own partition. Custom recoveries allow you to flash, format or wipe partitions - among other things... The stock recovery can 2 things: Wipe data (factory reset) and flash Asus signed software. That's it.
    I looked up Motochopper, isn't that just for the Motorola line of Android phones? (I have a MotoX)
    Naa, it worked on all kinds of Android devices.
    BTW, what ASUS transformer model do you have? Got a Google Nexus?
    I have a TF700 and a TF701. Open this page in a browser, then you see my signature 😜
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    droidbound,

Boy am I going to look contradictory now, duh. I've been pondering the pros and cons of having this TF101A rooted and a custom ROM installed giving it: perhaps faster operation over a stock 4.03 ROM, over-clocking experimentation capability, the dual windows - side by side and floating multiple windows (although I've only gotten side by side to work sometimes) and a few other customization features, - however as I wrote before this KK4.4.4 installation I inherited is not allowing "root access" and SuperSU won't install the binaries and I need to continue to "fix" that along the lines of the suggestions you made. Or, install a different Custom ROM, because there are some features of KatKiss 4.4.4 I don't like and KK 5.x is not an option because I don't like the Lollipop GUI and base App changes Google made. I'm shopping around for another ASUS TF101A used at a very good price, which I will run Stock ICS 4.03 and compare with what ever I do with this one running some custom ROM.

So my question to you (or anyone that wants to pipe in 2 cents) is, is there any other ICS or preferably a KitKat 4.4.4 based custom ROM that is on-par or better than KatKiss 4.4.4? I know UNIX (and Windows and Mac, my job) and hence Linux in my IT job, but that's not feasible because I want 100% access to all apps in the Play Store. Any suggestions you'd make??

Off topic sort of, you've got a TF701 which I like, but I also really like the new ASUS T100TAF-B1-BF (Win8), it's unbelievably fast with that Intel Atom Quad-Core Z3735E processor and multiple apps running. If you've had the opportunity to dabble with the T100TAF, how would you compare them operationally and speed wise? Yes I know the Windows app store is whoa fully thin, I'll write my own when needed.

Thanks for all your advice and opinions.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    droidbound,

Boy am I going to look contradictory now, duh. I've been pondering the pros and cons of having this TF101A rooted and a custom ROM installed giving it: perhaps faster operation over a stock 4.03 ROM, over-clocking experimentation capability, the dual windows - side by side and floating multiple windows (although I've only gotten side by side to work sometimes) and a few other customization features, - however as I wrote before this KK4.4.4 installation I inherited is not allowing "root access" and SuperSU won't install the binaries and I need to continue to "fix" that along the lines of the suggestions you made. Or, install a different Custom ROM, because there are some features of KatKiss 4.4.4 I don't like and KK 5.x is not an option because I don't like the Lollipop GUI and base App changes Google made. I'm shopping around for another ASUS TF101A used at a very good price, which I will run Stock ICS 4.03 and compare with what ever I do with this one running some custom ROM.

So my question to you (or anyone that wants to pipe in 2 cents) is, is there any other ICS or preferably a KitKat 4.4.4 based custom ROM that is on-par or better than KatKiss 4.4.4? I know UNIX (and Windows and Mac, my job) and hence Linux in my IT job, but that's not feasible because I want 100% access to all apps in the Play Store. Any suggestions you'd make??

Off topic sort of, you've got a TF701 which I like, but I also really like the new ASUS T100TAF-B1-BF (Win8), it's unbelievably fast with that Intel Atom Quad-Core Z3735E processor and multiple apps running. If you've had the opportunity to dabble with the T100TAF, how would you compare them operationally and speed wise? Yes I know the Windows app store is whoa fully thin, I'll write my own when needed.

Thanks for all your advice and opinions.
    I know Droidbound will have his own comments, and possibly Kevin too. I have owned both the tf300 and the t100 with the 3375 CPU (I think that's the one you were taking about)

I personally bough the t100 as a supplement to a larger high powered notebook. I had no expectations for the t100 except for battery life and that is where it shines. I use it as a portal to the Internet and my school textbooks and the anyway typically will last "A Very Long Time" (not very scientific is it) the part I most appreciate is being able to load documents in Onedrive and exit them on either computer. Throw the t100 into a bag and take it with me.

Having now ready expectations of performance makes it seem like a killer device for me although someone hoping to use it exclusively as their computer might be quite disappointed.

The reason I am fine with this is because I have an android phone to use all my android apps on. I have it rooted, ROMed, custom kerneled you name it I've tried it!

If you want to get your tf101 up and running better than it is you might consider reflash in the ROM with the latest update after first doing a data wipe in recovery. Droidbound may have already or can walk you through this.

As for root, there are a few possibilities. One is that root needs to be enabled in the developer options if it is built into the ROM. The other is that you need to flash the super su binaries in recovery to get them to load properly. Here's where you need to go for that. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1538053
    makeitworst likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    GTanner00,
    Thanks for the personal opinions on the ASUS T100T, this is reassuring to hear.
    It wouldn't be my main portable, just much as your applications something very compact and convertible with mega battery time for writing and online research/surfing and the in opertune times I need to connect to someones network or mainframe for IT work. My main notebook is a MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 3K I picked up in Taiwan (relatively) cheap early last year work-trip where they were still loaded with Win7. Love it beyond belief, a "best" Alienware gamer NB killer without even breaking a sweat. This is my 2nd MSi in 6 years (still have my A6000 Core2Duo 2.2GHz, runs perfectly, just so slow feeling compared to the GS60). Tiger Direct has some great deals on "refurbished" T100T 64GB Atom Z3775 1.46GHz , IF I can trust a "refurb", assuming work done from the US ASUS facility.

Yeah, I am in a quandary on this hobbled TF101 with no root access and no GPS operation (thanks to Custom KK4.4.4 bug). I will try your suggestions to reinstall a newer KK4.4.4 Custom ROM, after I try to delete the SuperSU Binaries IF they are there. I just have to figure out how to back it up (apps and settings) without Root access. I'm fed up with Helium BU, failed me every time on the restore. I'll wait to hear Droidbound's sage advice first, then throw myself into it as soon as I finish my Tax Returns.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    Also check out parcel backup.

One thing about a refurb is that I can't guarantee it will come with free office. That wasn't a problem for me since I already had a subscription.
    makeitworst likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    697 times
    GTanner00,
    Thanks for the personal opinions on the ASUS T100T, this is reassuring to hear.
    It wouldn't be my main portable, just much as your applications something very compact and convertible with mega battery time for writing and online research/surfing and the in opertune times I need to connect to someones network or mainframe for IT work. My main notebook is a MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 3K I picked up in Taiwan (relatively) cheap early last year work-trip where they were still loaded with Win7. Love it beyond belief, a "best" Alienware gamer NB killer without even breaking a sweat. This is my 2nd MSi in 6 years (still have my A6000 Core2Duo 2.2GHz, runs perfectly, just so slow feeling compared to the GS60). Tiger Direct has some great deals on "refurbished" T100T 64GB Atom Z3775 1.46GHz , IF I can trust a "refurb", assuming work done from the US ASUS facility.

Yeah, I am in a quandary on this hobbled TF101 with no root access and no GPS operation (thanks to Custom KK4.4.4 bug). I will try your suggestions to reinstall a newer KK4.4.4 Custom ROM, after I try to delete the SuperSU Binaries IF they are there. I just have to figure out how to back it up (apps and settings) without Root access. I'm fed up with Helium BU, failed me every time on the restore. I'll wait to hear Droidbound's sage advice first, then throw myself into it as soon as I finish my Tax Returns.
    Try the Android Revolution rom. It's ICS, runs the stock kernel, so everything should work and it comes rooted, naturally. He provides a Super Wipe script which should clean up whatever's is gumming up the works now.
    [ROM] Android Revolution HD 3.6 | High Quali… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums
    makeitworst likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Try the Android Revolution rom. It's ICS, runs the stock kernel, so everything should work and it comes rooted, naturally. He provides a Super Wipe script which should clean up whatever's is gumming up the works now.
    [ROM] Android Revolution HD 3.6 | High Quali… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums
    droidbound - you are talking about this version of Android Revolution? Boy I wish they (Android Revolution) had done a 4.4.4 Custom ROM adapted to the TF101!

UPDATE: Unfortunately the link to DL the Rooting tools and support files is DOA. I paged through some 17 pages of the XDA thread to see if there was a new link and nothing.
    Last edited by makeitworst; 04-07-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Just a follow-up after tax season was over and I found time, I followed your (droidbound) instructions for wiping the TF101 clean before reinstalling the last ICS OEM ROM. One problem I ran into was I couldn't find in TWRP to "Format submenu, select system and data and format those". Just couldn't find it. But I did do te Wipe/Advanced Dalvik and cashe.

The other problem I has was TWRP wouldn't install the factory 4.03 ROM from a MicroSD card, I kept getting Errors and "Failed". So I put the MicroSD card in a SD Adapter and use the SD slot in the Transformer Keyboard Dock. It still spit up some Errors, but ultimately installed the ROM "Success"

Thanks again for all the help.

OEM ROM install.jpg
    droidbound likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links