Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: NEED Stock Android 4.0.3 ROM to Flash to recover my TF101A to Stock from Rooted

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    674 times
    Right! Forgot about that new feature - which kinda creeps me out that Google is checking what I install....
    Love the "soup version" in your post ^^^^ Damn you autocorrect!!! Hhiihihihi
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks to both of you for the very thorough info on which APK sites are safer in your experience and minds. Being fairly newish to Android (just 3 years now) I'm learning a lot beyond my decades in UNIX/Linux, Windows, Mac IT world. Also watching the permissions on install is a very good point, I've read them but still need to learn what should be "out of bounds" for a app to need.

I got the older version of Skype installed and it works now.

On another question I'd like to ask the both of you, while I have you here ... or there. One other "bug" in KatKISS 4.4.4 is non functioning GPS for maps, tracking location, etc. I see that TimDuru acknowledges that GPS is a bug and directs to download a file to install, which looks like it's mostly about Audio functions. That seems odd, but anyway, how do I install that file? Same as Gapps from Recovery?

I also noticed that the version of KatKISS 4.4.4 I have on this TF101A is _033 and that there is a newer version _036. Again, how do I install that (install from Recovery again?) and when updating, does it "wipe" the tablet?

Thanks guys, sorry for the Noob questions, I'm learning as fast as I can for an old guy.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    480 times
    Quote Originally Posted by makeitworst View Post
    Thanks to both of you for the very thorough info on which APK sites are safer in your experience and minds. Being fairly newish to Android (just 3 years now) I'm learning a lot beyond my decades in UNIX/Linux, Windows, Mac IT world. Also watching the permissions on install is a very good point, I've read them but still need to learn what should be "out of bounds" for a app to need.

I got the older version of Skype installed and it works now.

On another question I'd like to ask the both of you, while I have you here ... or there. One other "bug" in KatKISS 4.4.4 is non functioning GPS for maps, tracking location, etc. I see that TimDuru acknowledges that GPS is a bug and directs to download a file to install, which looks like it's mostly about Audio functions. That seems odd, but anyway, how do I install that file? Same as Gapps from Recovery?

I also noticed that the version of KatKISS 4.4.4 I have on this TF101A is _033 and that there is a newer version _036. Again, how do I install that (install from Recovery again?) and when updating, does it "wipe" the tablet?

Thanks guys, sorry for the Noob questions, I'm learning as fast as I can for an old guy.
    Those are all excellent questions.

In terms of app permissions, there is a lot of misconception around what they mean and why apps need to use them. I have several friends who don't use Facebook messenger because one of the permissions is for camera and microphone (you can send pictures and sound recordings in the app) a lot of them so d scary but you have to understand that the app will not function without them in most cases.

Here's and article I like to refer to http://www.androidcentral.com/look-a...on-permissions

As for updating Katkiss, you will need to download the ROM zip file, then boot into twrp recovery. Tap the wipe button then use the swipe function to clear system data. Keep in mind that this will recover apps and settings but no user files. Then go to the install button and choose the zip file you want to install (same goes for the GPS fix likely of it comes in a zip file) then reboot (which may take a while)

Keep in mind also that if you choose to have Google backup and restore your account at the initial setup screen, all of your apps will be reinstalled (not restored to their previous state though) back to your tablet. If there is some content you absolutely want to back up there are apps like parcel and titanium that can do that for you.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    674 times
    If I may chime in on this also
    You can flash roms two ways: dirty or clean.
    Dirty flashing means, you only wipe cache and Dalvik in recovery before you flash the new version and you loose nothing. The tablet will restart just as you left it.
    Clean install means what gtanner described above and you loose your apps and settings (home screen arrangement etc) but not your personal data. A clean install is mandatory if you install a different rom or for major updates, like from KK to LP.
    For a minor version update (like yours now) dirty flashing is usually ok and what I would try first because you don't have to set up your whole tab again. If you then encounter weird problems nobody else seems to have I would go back and do a clean install.
    The reason gapps or the GPS fix get flashed in recovery is that the script for the flash also sets the correct permissions for each app. You usually flash files (as opposed to installing them the normal way) if they go into /system (user apps live on /data). System apps have much wider permissions in Android than user apps. The /system partition is read-only normally, nothing can make changes to it (unless you have root) - which is anther security measure in android.
    In the past most custom roms came rooted out f the box. Lately I see more custom roms where you have to turn root on in Settings if you want to make changes to /system, but it is turned off by default. Which is just another layer of safety I guess. Makes sense to me....
    Don't know how Timudru's roms handle this....
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

Working it KatKiss 4.4.4 on TF101A

Gentlemen,

Thanks again for the detailed info. @Gtanner00, the link you provided is very good material, you're quite right about a lot of the misconceptions regarding app permissions, I've turned away from some apps thinking they were asking for too much, without understanding why. Google would do well promoting this information a lot more to even casual Android users.

@ droidbound Re. the Install - I was hoping that I could do a "dirty install" of this update, at least on the first go round. I'm very familiar with how version updates go wrong, seems like 8 of 10 Google OEM Android updates I've gone thru on my two N7's and neatly every on my old drowned (flood) 1st TF101 were bungled. My "#1" N7 (2012) was rendered useless with the 4.4.4 to 5.02 OTA update. I had to do a clean wipe reset to get it half-way operable and I still hate it (slower, hangs, too many apps crash or hang, etc).
    BTW I used Helium by Clockworkmod again to do a full and data only Backup (to my PC's) and once again it failed to restore, refused to see the BU files. I need to find a BU app that really does work flawlessly.

TimDuru responded too about the GPS fix, seems it's buried into an update that was mostly Audio related, so I will use the Recovery mode to flash it as you are indicating. He said he is no longer doing any more KatKiss 4.4.4 work.

I thought I was done learning IT/IS "tricks" in UNIX, Win and Mac; now it's another long study session for Android. Thought I was going to retire soon?

One question that's off topic for ASUS Transformer(s), although it could apply to the latest Android models. My #2 N7 (2013) is still running OEM 4.4.4, I've ignored the update badgering from Google, though it's downloaded the 5.02 update to a hidden cashe file somewhere in the root. - Can I root that N7 without unlocking the Bootloader, hence having to wipe it (I don't want to wipe it) and block the update notice, and delete the update file where ever it is? I'm fine living with KitKat 4.4.4 on that N7 forever (or until it dies) if necessary, or when Google gets their sanity back and starts producing good operable Android OSes that don't nearly brick their own tablets!

thanks again, gents!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    480 times
    Gentlemen,

Thanks again for the detailed info. @Gtanner00, the link you provided is very good material, you're quite right about a lot of the misconceptions regarding app permissions, I've turned away from some apps thinking they were asking for too much, without understanding why. Google would do well promoting this information a lot more to even casual Android users.

@ droidbound Re. the Install - I was hoping that I could do a "dirty install" of this update, at least on the first go round. I'm very familiar with how version updates go wrong, seems like 8 of 10 Google OEM Android updates I've gone thru on my two N7's and neatly every on my old drowned (flood) 1st TF101 were bungled. My "#1" N7 (2012) was rendered useless with the 4.4.4 to 5.02 OTA update. I had to do a clean wipe reset to get it half-way operable and I still hate it (slower, hangs, too many apps crash or hang, etc).
    BTW I used Helium by Clockworkmod again to do a full and data only Backup (to my PC's) and once again it failed to restore, refused to see the BU files. I need to find a BU app that really does work flawlessly.

TimDuru responded too about the GPS fix, seems it's buried into an update that was mostly Audio related, so I will use the Recovery mode to flash it as you are indicating. He said he is no longer doing any more KatKiss 4.4.4 work.

I thought I was done learning IT/IS "tricks" in UNIX, Win and Mac; now it's another long study session for Android. Thought I was going to retire soon?

One question that's off topic for ASUS Transformer(s), although it could apply to the latest Android models. My #2 N7 (2013) is still running OEM 4.4.4, I've ignored the update badgering from Google, though it's downloaded the 5.02 update to a hidden cashe file somewhere in the root. - Can I root that N7 without unlocking the Bootloader, hence having to wipe it (I don't want to wipe it) and block the update notice, and delete the update file where ever it is? I'm fine living with KitKat 4.4.4 on that N7 forever (or until it dies) if necessary, or when Google gets their sanity back and starts producing good operable Android OSes that don't nearly brick their own tablets!

thanks again, gents!
    As far as I know there is no longer any nexus root method that works with a locked bootloader. There used to be some but they have been patched.

I'm guessing you don't want to wipe because you have data you would like to keep. If that was the case, there are other ways to back it up before you wipe.

It's likely that you were a very rare case when updating your nexus. Although there are lots of people who reported having troubles, statistically it's a very small group. A complete factory image install and wipe would clean things up nicely.

If you were interested, there are many custom roms for the nexus that implement F2FS file formatting that speeds up the very slow memory quite nicely. This happens to be the same memory used in the tf300 and 700 transformers which also benefited from f2fs roms.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    As far as I know there is no longer any nexus root method that works with a locked bootloader. There used to be some but they have been patched.

I'm guessing you don't want to wipe because you have data you would like to keep. If that was the case, there are other ways to back it up before you wipe.

It's likely that you were a very rare case when updating your nexus. Although there are lots of people who reported having troubles, statistically it's a very small group. A complete factory image install and wipe would clean things up nicely.

If you were interested, there are many custom roms for the nexus that implement F2FS file formatting that speeds up the very slow memory quite nicely. This happens to be the same memory used in the tf300 and 700 transformers which also benefited from f2fs roms.
    There sure are a lot of N7 owners exceedingly pissed off about the 5.0 - 5.02 Android OTA update, maybe its the case of those satisfied aren't vocal or just maybe they threw it in the garbage and bought an iFad out of frustration. I went from the first iFad to Android, trust me I'm unhappy enough with Google "screwing the pooch" with the N7 to go back to a Mini iFad. Seriously, I can't be a minority with the nearly every TF101 Android update from ASUS going "south" and requiring one or two full factory resets. I bought mine the first black friday after it's release and every one but one (the first ICS) of the OS updates was a catastrophe. I can see why, besides ASUS abandoning the TF101 so early, that the Rooting and Custom ROM took off for the ASUS lines. I also was an early adopter of the N7 (2012), bought my first the 2nd week after release. Had to do one full reset on the OTA release of 4.0 and then 5.02 thoroughly "toasted" that first N7. I won't update the other N7 (2013) 32GB we have. I don't trust Google now and I think LolliCrap was cooked up just to serve their new wearable junk and screw the N7 owners. I've read on numerous review and news sites that the lastest 5.1 fixed some issues but instituted even worse new ones. Has Google become suicidal with Android? Releasing half-baked (and untested) OS releases is what Apple is known for, now it's Google Android territory too.

If I root my #1 N7 2012, it has to be 100% functional, something even well liked KATKiss isn't as I've found with my new/old TF101.
    How and where do I find who's N7 Custom ROM is 100%? And, who's Rooting toolkit is best and fool (me) proof for the N7?
    I've heard positive things for WugFresh, true dat?
    (sorry for being slightly off thread target)

Thanks guys.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    480 times
    There sure are a lot of N7 owners exceedingly pissed off about the 5.0 - 5.02 Android OTA update, maybe its the case of those satisfied aren't vocal or just maybe they threw it in the garbage and bought an iFad out of frustration. I went from the first iFad to Android, trust me I'm unhappy enough with Google "screwing the pooch" with the N7 to go back to a Mini iFad. Seriously, I can't be a minority with the nearly every TF101 Android update from ASUS going "south" and requiring one or two full factory resets. I bought mine the first black friday after it's release and every one but one (the first ICS) of the OS updates was a catastrophe. I can see why, besides ASUS abandoning the TF101 so early, that the Rooting and Custom ROM took off for the ASUS lines. I also was an early adopter of the N7 (2012), bought my first the 2nd week after release. Had to do one full reset on the OTA release of 4.0 and then 5.02 thoroughly "toasted" that first N7. I won't update the other N7 (2013) 32GB we have. I don't trust Google now and I think LolliCrap was cooked up just to serve their new wearable junk and screw the N7 owners. I've read on numerous review and news sites that the lastest 5.1 fixed some issues but instituted even worse new ones. Has Google become suicidal with Android? Releasing half-baked (and untested) OS releases is what Apple is known for, now it's Google Android territory too.

If I root my #1 N7 2012, it has to be 100% functional, something even well liked KATKiss isn't as I've found with my new/old TF101.
    How and where do I find who's N7 Custom ROM is 100%? And, who's Rooting toolkit is best and fool (me) proof for the N7?
    I've heard positive things for WugFresh, true dat?
    (sorry for being slightly off thread target)

Thanks guys.
    Do some more of your own research. And yes wugfresh is an excellent tool.

If you are looking for roms, look for ones that do not load up on every feature but the kitchen sink. I would avoid the bug multi device support roms (eg. Cyanogenmod) since it will not be catered directly to your device.

Also, you claim an update bricked your device. If you have it then it is likely still easily recoverable. Even if you cannot get I to android the bootloader should be accessible and a toolkit can be used to restore the firmware. If you want some more info send me a pm and we can work it out.

Also, most of the claims against 5.1 are unfounded "memory leak" is somewhat if a buzzword that developers use to describe sluggishness in software. 5.1 is an improvement over 5.0 on a few select nexus devices. And 5.0 is a vast improvement over 4.4 (assuming you like the design changes.)

Most custom roms will have implemented fixes published by Google that aren't in the Google provided updates so they will have the latest corrections.

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Do some more of your own research. And yes wugfresh is an excellent tool.

If you are looking for roms, look for ones that do not load up on every feature but the kitchen sink. I would avoid the bug multi device support roms (eg. Cyanogenmod) since it will not be catered directly to your device.

Also, you claim an update bricked your device. If you have it then it is likely still easily recoverable. Even if you cannot get I to android the bootloader should be accessible and a toolkit can be used to restore the firmware. If you want some more info send me a pm and we can work it out.

Also, most of the claims against 5.1 are unfounded "memory leak" is somewhat if a buzzword that developers use to describe sluggishness in software. 5.1 is an improvement over 5.0 on a few select nexus devices. And 5.0 is a vast improvement over 4.4 (assuming you like the design changes.)

Most custom roms will have implemented fixes published by Google that aren't in the Google provided updates so they will have the latest corrections.
    Good advice on using a "target specific" (exact model) custom ROM. A friend on the radio (Leo Laporte) is always touting Cyanogenmod for rooting any Android phone, I've argued that something that broad in device application can't be a good idea. There are enough problem still on device specific custom ROMs, as I can't get Skype to work on this TF101 (unless I use an older version) with KK 4.4.4 and GPS is dead totally unless I install some patches that so far is buggy too (won't install the patch).

I have a copy of WugFresh and have launched it to investigate it's use, but haven't Rooted my "#1" N7 2012.
    The 5.02 OTA (I took a pass on the initial 5.0 OTA because I was wary for good reason) didn't "Brick" my #1 N7, but it did make it useless. Nothing worked, it would constantly freeze up, almost every app would freeze or crash, it was so slow that it made my 1978 Apple IIe look like a Quad Core i7 and it would constantly spontaneously crash and restart. I did two repeated factory full wipe Resets and had to reinstall everything manually (Clockworkmod) Titanium backup once again failed to reinstall app or data and even the Google BU did nothing. The "double" reset did help, but 5.02 still runs like crap and I hate it (the GUI changes and it's still slow as molasses, hangs and some even new version apps crash). My other "#2" N7 has none of these problems still running stock 4.4.4. My conclusion has to be, Lollipop is Lollicrap. I'd still like to revert #1 N7 back to stock OEM 4.4.4 and block updates.

But back to my TF101, I still really enjoy this "combo" with keyboard, I take it on the road and do a lot of my writings for my press media jobs with it. I was really bummed when my first one (bought to replace my first ver iFad I was very disappointed with) drowned in a flood. I've got to get this one working 100%, including GPS.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    480 times
    Good advice on using a "target specific" (exact model) custom ROM. A friend on the radio (Leo Laporte) is always touting Cyanogenmod for rooting any Android phone, I've argued that something that broad in device application can't be a good idea. There are enough problem still on device specific custom ROMs, as I can't get Skype to work on this TF101 (unless I use an older version) with KK 4.4.4 and GPS is dead totally unless I install some patches that so far is buggy too (won't install the patch).

I have a copy of WugFresh and have launched it to investigate it's use, but haven't Rooted my "#1" N7 2012.
    The 5.02 OTA (I took a pass on the initial 5.0 OTA because I was wary for good reason) didn't "Brick" my #1 N7, but it did make it useless. Nothing worked, it would constantly freeze up, almost every app would freeze or crash, it was so slow that it made my 1978 Apple IIe look like a Quad Core i7 and it would constantly spontaneously crash and restart. I did two repeated factory full wipe Resets and had to reinstall everything manually (Clockworkmod) Titanium backup once again failed to reinstall app or data and even the Google BU did nothing. The "double" reset did help, but 5.02 still runs like crap and I hate it (the GUI changes and it's still slow as molasses, hangs and some even new version apps crash). My other "#2" N7 has none of these problems still running stock 4.4.4. My conclusion has to be, Lollipop is Lollicrap. I'd still like to revert #1 N7 back to stock OEM 4.4.4 and block updates.

But back to my TF101, I still really enjoy this "combo" with keyboard, I take it on the road and do a lot of my writings for my press media jobs with it. I was really bummed when my first one (bought to replace my first ver iFad I was very disappointed with) drowned in a flood. I've got to get this one working 100%, including GPS.
    Ah. But there is one very large difference between your n7s and the tf101. Data formatting.

If I remember right you bought the used tf101 which had already been set up with Katkiss. Doing so would have meant that the original owner had done a format process on the memory. There is a huge difference between doing this and just a factory reset in android because a factory reset simply deletes data whole a format will format blocks of data (you are probably aware of this already)

On your nexus, taking an OTA update doesn't wipe anything and over time there is a huge digital gunk build up. The poor memory in the nexus accentuates this. The nexus has gone through about almost 10 major and minor OTAs in its lifetime and even a factory reset will not clear most of the stuff out since it is in the system partition.

Google however graciously provides factory images of every update they push out that will essentially emulate the process that happens s at the manufacturing factory. You plug in the device, send a fastboot line and and voila everything gets rewritten over. After that you can either stock with the Google provided builds or look into custom roms. But I guarantee this process, done right will mitigate almost every problem you are having.

Wugdfresh can do all this very easily. Use the restore back to stock command. Also make sure the toolkit is up to date. Then you can ask it to download the 5.1 factory image and flash it for you. This takes quite a bit of time so do not get impatient.

______

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links