Thread: [Solved]TF101 bootloop, locked, and read-only

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Question [Solved]TF101 bootloop, locked, and read-only

A few days ago I tried to upgrade my Asus TF101 from stock ICS 4.0.3 to Kitkat 4.4.4 (OneClickRecovery V0.42 + TWRP 2.8.1.1) but ended up with a bootloop, locked device with a read-only filesystem.
    I can boot into recovery and "Swipe to unlock" but that's all; "Swipe to factory reset" or even CHOWN/CHMOD commands do nothing.

After a lot of trial and error (OneclickRecvovery, EasyFlasher, forum searches, online videos etc.....), I would like to perform a factory reset, but don't know how to proceed.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by hvrmln; 12-04-2014 at 05:37 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1222 times
    I'll move your post into the TF101 ROM section of the forum. Someone with experience may be able to help you.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    You need to tell us more about what you did.
    Did you try using EasyFlasher to flash the latest firmware to get you back to a working system?
    APX mode is working?
    hvrmln likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    You need to tell us more about what you did.
    Did you try using EasyFlasher to flash the latest firmware to get you back to a working system?
    APX mode is working?
    Thank you, IŽll try:

First of all, I'm a user, not a developer (as you may have guessed).

I started with TWRP (Updating ASUS TF101 from stock to Android KitKat (4.4.2) | blog.biernacki.ca), flashed Kitkat 4.4.4 and gAapps20140913, which went OK but led to a bootloop.
    Then I tried EasyFlasher 083b-stable after downloading WW_epaduser9_2_1_27, but this did not work - I don't know why not.
    I retried TWRP OneclickRecovery, but no luck: could not find the device.
    Tried: Fix Permissions, negative; then tried: CHOWN/CHMOD from [SCRIPT/FIX] Internal sdcard permissions (/d… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums
    Also tried the solutions discussed in these videos: EasyFlasher

As regards APX: Not sure what this means. I have Windows7 and 8.1, Android SDK for Windows and Droid@Screen, which all work perfrectly with my Android phone but no longer with my TF101.

Hope this helps.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hvrmln View Post
    Thank you, IŽll try:

First of all, I'm a user, not a developer (as you may have guessed).

I started with TWRP (Updating ASUS TF101 from stock to Android KitKat (4.4.2) | blog.biernacki.ca), flashed Kitkat 4.4.4 and gAapps20140913, which went OK but led to a bootloop.
    Then I tried EasyFlasher 083b-stable after downloading WW_epaduser9_2_1_27, but this did not work - I don't know why not.
    I retried TWRP OneclickRecovery, but no luck: could not find the device.
    Tried: Fix Permissions, negative; then tried: CHOWN/CHMOD from [SCRIPT/FIX] Internal sdcard permissions (/d… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums
    Also tried the solutions discussed in these videos: EasyFlasher

As regards APX: Not sure what this means. I have Windows7 and 8.1, Android SDK for Windows and Droid@Screen, which all work perfrectly with my Android phone but no longer with my TF101.

Hope this helps.
    Ok, let's take this step-by-step.
    I am not familiar with the peri tool... Is that what you used to flash TWRP 2.8.1.1?
    And TWRP worked at first? You are sure you got the TWRP 2.8.1.1 for the TF101?
    Which KitKat rom did you flash?
    Did you do a full wipe of data, cache and Dalvik before flashing the new rom?
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks again. Your step-by-step approach looks fine to me, but I have no detailed log to work from.

I was not familiar with the peri tool either, nor with any of the Android tools and terminology since this was my first upgrade attempt.

The TWRP link mentioned in my previous post contains these 2 addresses:
    1)
    [ROM][KK 4.4.4] [ KatKiss-KitKat #036 ] [Sta… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums
    which points to a download file with a "one click" EasyRecovery BAT file, a recoveryblob, Superuser-3.0.7, and a detailed description,.
    2)
    [ROM][KK 4.4.4] [ KatKiss-KitKat #036 ] [Sta… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums
    from which I downloaded the latest stable version KitKass 3.3.4_036.zip and
    the latest Gapps Package KatKass_20140913.zip,
    and TWRP 2.8.1.1

Cache and Dalvik were flashed (?), but not data; the blob is in /data/media/0

When I rebooted, the TF101 started showing a KK screen but after a few seconds the original Asus screen came back and has been coming back ever since: Bootloop.
    (Similar results with the various options in the BAT file).

Further searches lead to links that explain the KitKat 4.4.4 SD-card accesss problem and offer solutions but they all require access to the device and that's what I do not have:
    Easily Restore Full Access To The SD Card On Android 4.4 KitKat With SDFix (Root Required)
    Fix Write Capability to External SD Card on KitKat Manually

Enough for now?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hvrmln View Post
    Thanks again. Your step-by-step approach looks fine to me, but I have no detailed log to work from.

I was not familiar with the peri tool either, nor with any of the Android tools and terminology since this was my first upgrade attempt.

The TWRP link mentioned in my previous post contains these 2 addresses:
    1)
    which points to a download file with a "one click" EasyRecovery BAT file, a recoveryblob, Superuser-3.0.7, and a detailed description,.
    2)
    from which I downloaded the latest stable version KitKass 3.3.4_036.zip and
    the latest Gapps Package KatKass_20140913.zip,
    and TWRP 2.8.1.1

When I rebooted, the TF101 started showing a KK screen but after a few seconds the original Asus screen came back and has been coming back ever since: Bootloop.
    (Similar results with the various options in the BAT file).

Further searches lead to links that explain the KitKat 4.4.4 SD-card accesss problem and offer solutions but they all require access to the device and that's what I do not have:
    Easily Restore Full Access To The SD Card On Android 4.4 KitKat With SDFix (Root Required)
    Fix Write Capability to External SD Card on KitKat Manually

Enough for now?
    It's a start
    The KatKiss rom is one of the best for this tablet, but versions matter greatly in flashing custom roms, so let's clear this up:
    You write you downloaded and flashed KatKiss 3.3.4_036. The latest stable version in timudru's thread from your link is 4.4.4_036. Just a typo or did you flash something different?
    There are several versions of it. You chose the one from the second line under Downloads: Latest stable version: KatKiss 4.4.4_036.zip - correct?
    The gapps package you flashed looks ok and I assume you got the TWRP from here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2434422
    If all of the above is correct, then it's not WHAT you flashed but HOW you flashed that led to your problem.

But the TF101 is hard to brick so we should be able to work this out.
    But be patient. If necessary we can connect through Hangouts or we can try a session in Teamviewer. Have been itching to give that a shot for a while

So you wiped cache and Dalvik, but not data?
    You flash (install) something to the tablet or partition. You wipe partitions to prepare for a new installation.
    If you switch roms or do a major upgrade from older to newer version of the same ROM, you HAVE to wipe data or it will lead to a stuck boot just like you experienced. I suspect that was the root cause of this. Your other attempts to fix it probably did the rest.
    What do you mean: The blob is in data/media/0? Which blob?

The KitKat SD card fix has nothing to do with your situation. Any KK custom rom disables this limitation Google worked into the KK code. It has to do with how apps are permitted to write data to an external SD card. But disregard it for now. This is immaterial to your troubles.

I still cannot find that "EasyRecovery BAT file" you are referring to. A direct link please???
    You posted the same link under 1 and 2 in your last post.... ^^^^^

But if you used it to successfully flash TWRP to your tablet, this is where I would start:
    Reflash TWRP.

If that is successfull you need to wipe (maybe format) your data partition.
    But first you need a working recovery, so let's see where this'll get you.
    Last edited by droidbound; 12-02-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a typo: KatKiss 4.4.4 is correct.

The first link shoud be:
    [TOOL]PERI-0.42 One click root+recovery/fix-… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums
    The recovery blob and the EasyRecoveryV0.42.BAT file are in the OneClickRecovery download (I don't know how to give you a direct link to the bat file but could mail a copy)

As far as I can recall, I could not (and still cannot) reflash TWRP and later made things worse by using EasyFlasher.

What a mess! I'm very sorry and really appreciate your help.
    Maybe it's a good idea to connect through Teamviewer but I would prefer Skype (notice the time difference!)

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    683 times
    What did you try in EasyFlasher and how did you go about it?
    Read this guide here:
    Frederuco's Guide to Root and ROM the TF101
    The instructions are a lot lore detailed than in the XDA EasyFlasher thread.

Yeah, you're 9 hours ahead of me, but my time is flexible right now.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Wonders will never cease!
    You're not going to believe this: I have a TF101 with KitKass 4.4.4.

Until you told me to wipe data I never wiped it, not because I didn't want to but because it never happened (ignorance, sloppiness, or whatever; I also vaguely recall seeing a screen message saying that it wouldn't be wiped and thought it had to be left alone).
    Of course I had read Fedrico's guide but gave up as as soon as I saw "it requires root" - didn't know how to find out or implement this due to the bootloop.

After the first bootloop I thought EasyFlasher would handle things better, but you're right: this and my other attempts just made things worse.

So this morning I wiped cache, dalvik, data, and rebooted: BINGO (or rather KatKiss)!

Here is a screen image (I hope), don't worry if you can't read the Dutch text on it:

KitKat4.4.4.jpg

If you want further details, please let me know either in this forum or - if you want to try Skype - via a private message.
    This has been my first foray into the world of Android "updgrades" and I still have a lot to learn if I ever have to do this again; you know I'm an Android user, not a developer.

Let me repeat what I have said before: thank you very much for your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links