Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times

[ SOLVED ] TF101G always rebooting in Recovery Mode with CWM

Hello,
    I installed the Timduru katkiss rom and it works fine. Only I have to make a cold boot to start the tablet, otherwise it boots in CWM recovery mode. I have already done all the straigthfoward steps such as restoring to default and wiping dalvik, cache and data again and again. Now I am tired of re-installing the apps at every attempt without finding any solution. Any suggestion? Anybody else having problems like this?
    Thanks in advance and regards

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    669 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gt56 View Post
    Hello,
    I installed the Timduru katkiss rom and it works fine. Only I have to make a cold boot to start the tablet, otherwise it boots in CWM recovery mode. I have already done all the straigthfoward steps such as restoring to default and wiping dalvik, cache and data again and again. Now I am tired of re-installing the apps at every attempt without finding any solution. Any suggestion? Anybody else having problems like this?
    Thanks in advance and regards
    Did you at any point use the factory reset option from Settings or the Wipe Data option from the bootloader?
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Android 7 Nougat/Google Fi stock (for now)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times
    Problem solved - it was the bootloader corrupt. Here is the link that explains how to fix it:

Messing with Technology: Asus Transformer (TF101) bootloader fix

Yes, I uses factory reset and wiped data, cache and dalvik. However I cannot understand why the bootloader was corrupt. Maybe ROM Manager or CWMD Recovery not a robust tool?

Thank you

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    669 times
    Problem solved - it was the bootloader corrupt. Here is the link that explains how to fix it:

Messing with Technology: Asus Transformer (TF101) bootloader fix

Yes, I uses factory reset and wiped data, cache and dalvik. However I cannot understand why the bootloader was corrupt. Maybe ROM Manager or CWMD Recovery not a robust tool?

Thank you
    Quite a few users have bricked their transformer with ROM Manager. Do not use it on this tablet! It just does not play well with Transformers it seems.
    If you used factory reset in CWM I do not know what caused your poblem. But if you used it from Settings, the following happens:
    The bootloader writes a 'wipe data' command to one of the boot partitions, most likely misc (at least that's what it is on the 300/700/701). This command is written to call the stock recovery to perform the wipe operation (the bootloader is stock and does not know that you have a custom recovery installed). Custom recoveries don't know how to interpret this command and fail at it's execution, so the 'wipe data' command on msc never gets erased. Since nothing is happening you restart the tablet, the bootloader finds the 'wipe data' command on misc, calls the recovery to perform it etc pp.....

Actually CWM usually sorts it out if you give it enough time. It can take an hour or more but I have seen it more than once eventually executing the wipe and everything is fine again.
    I suspect, the dd command you used also erased the 'wipe data' request from boot.

Glad you got it fixed, just don't use ROM Manager and wipe ONLY from recovery and it shouldn't happen again.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Android 7 Nougat/Google Fi stock (for now)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you, your analisys is probably correct. I have just found out that I have another disturbing and potentially dangerous issue: when in recovery mode, it cannot mount the file and cannot perform the backup. Also it cannot see and therefore restore the old backups. Also when booting asks me permission to fix some kind of root access problem but even if I say yes, next time it's again the same story. Backup files have not been canceled, NANDROID shows that they are all there, only CWM recovery cannot find them
    I made a backup with NANDROID Online and I am going to copy alla working backups on my PC but I feel like still walking on thin ice. Corrupt bootloader!!! It could have bricked the tablet!!! I have ben lucky till now, the question is, how can I get rid of this nice CWM custom recovery and replace with something more robust, in a safe way, without getting into further trouble.
    TWRP at the moment is no more allowing download of their IMG file for TF 101, saying something like they cannot be sure. It looks serious, isn't it.
    I am keeping quiet because the tablet works fine but I would not wait till spring for the tiny ice to melt. I mean, I cannot stay with a Custom recovery such this one forever, it is not safe. I am installing the SDK and trying to get a bit familiari with these things, just in case.
    Maybe you nave some other piece of information - good suggestion for me?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    669 times
    You are on the correct bootloader for a 4.3 rom - are you?
    Did you follow the instructions in timudru's thread?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2392087

He has a custom kernel for the 101G that you may need (to be flashed if you experience reboots and I think you qualify...) and in the Installation Instructions he also links to a custom TWRP version, probably as a flashable zip since the TF101 doesn't have fastboot.

If you're bootloader was compromised you would not be able to boot the rom - so I think you can relax on that count.
    Don't know which instructions you followed, but I think you should start at Square 1:
    Make sure you're on 4.3 compatible bootloader
    Flash the TWRP recovery provided in timudru's thread
    Do a full wipe in TWRP
    Flash the rom again and then flash the TF101G kernel without rebooting in between.

Oh - the part about CWM asking to fix root is a bug in CWM. Just click no.
    Last edited by droidbound; 09-29-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times
    PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

Lucky I was that I found somebody like you, with deep knowledge. First let me answer your questions:

The link that I followed was more like this one:
    [ROM][KK 4.4.4] [ KatKiss-KitKat #035 ] [Sta… | Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 | XDA Forums
    The difference from your link is that here, to my understanding, we can skip the "format system" command. I skipped it.
    Before starting, I downloaded from the ASUS website the last ROM upgrade. I tought it was ICS.
    Then I followed the instructions step by step. I flashed the v34 stable rom, the TF105 add-on, fsync and gapps.
    But now that I have re-read the post I cannot understand why I didn'install the TWRP. Maybe I had already the CWD installed.
    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, NOW I HAD SOMETHING TO REPLACE THE CWD RECOVERY, but ...

The CWD Recovery didn't make backups, restore, flash ROMs anymore.
    Let us try with this:
    How to flash a custom recovery (like CWM or TWRP) on Android
    I installed SDK and so on, but THE DEVICE WAS NOT LISTED AS FASTBOOT, and I couldn't find a way to flash it. Also I got the feeling that the SDK tool set-up on the PC was not allowing me to do too much:
    - I could not make a backup with adb, (getting the message that I had to do some kind of unlocking of the tablet)
    - It was like I had/could not set SU rights
    - It didn't work when the tablet was in Recovery Mode

I tried to flash the TWRP recovery with ROM Manager - success they said, but it was a joke. I had not the courage to go ahead with ROM Toolbox when the SW started issuing messages of warning and half/complains directed toward the CWD recovery. Also had not the courage to try with Flashify, too dangerous to use for a guy that cannot anymore restore backups.

Re-installing ROM Manager and the CWD recovery didn't work. I tried to replace the CWD Recovery with the free flash version downloaded from their site, didn't work. So I un-installed ROM Manager, wiping its data and cache, and installed it again, BUYING the CWD flash version (1.99 Euros, 2nd time, I have also sent a complain). This time it worked, I could now make backup and restore and flash ROMS, but... I WAS BACK AT THE STARTING POINT AGAIN, THE BOOTLOADER WAS AGAIN CORRUPT, the tablet was always restarting in Recovery Mode, I had to manually perform the cold LINUX booting to have it working.
    However I could make backup and restore so I felt more sure.
    I fixed the bootloader and tried to install the TWRP Recovery.
    Can you guess what happened? IT DID NOT WORK AND THE BOOTLOADER WAS AGAIN CORRUPT.

So:
    - I used FLASHIFY to flash the TWRP recovery
    - Just before proceeding with the reboot, I fixed the bootloader file again
    - I rebooted
    - IT WORKED!!! First thing I made a backup with TWRP, then I un-installed and re-installed ROM Manager, setting up the TWRP recovery.

It was really tough for me.
    However,
    - why fastboot form PC doesn't work?
    - why was not able to make a backup with adb from the PC?
    - is there a way to have access to the tablet from the PC when it is in Recovery Mode?
    - why I cannot have SU rights when working from my PC?
    - why I was not even able to fix the bootloader from the PC? I had to open a terminal window on the tablet using Rom Toolbox.

All what I did was done by using the tablet, nothing remotely.
    It's OK to help patients healing by themselves, but doctors should be able to work on patients even when they are unconscious..
    Last edited by Gt56; 09-30-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: PROBLEM SOLVED

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    669 times
    Well, I'm really glad you got it solved, but I can only answer two of your questions - since I have no idea what it was you actually did :laugh:
    The TF101 does not support fastboot mode. It only has APX mode, came out of the box with an unlocked bootloader. There's a tool called EasyFlasher you may want to look into...
    In recovery you sould have adb access to your tablet if you have the correct driver installed and USB debugging is enabled on the tablet.

And again: Get rid of ROM Toobox! If you need a terminal app on the tablet install Terminal Emulator from the Play Store.
    Last edited by droidbound; 09-30-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times
    Believe me, I am glad too.
    Basically I followed the guidelines that I found in the two links attached to the previous posts, only I had to change them because they did not work from the PC (no SU rights, no fastboot available). So I fixed the bootloader with a terminal and I used FLASHIFY app to do kind of a fastboot.

The other attempts failed as the flashing of the ROM was always done throught the CWD recovery, that either didn't work at all, or, when working, was messing the rebooting file every time. Since the flashed rom is actually loaded at rebooting, this caused the process to fail.
    I guess FLASHIFY did it directly and not throught the CWD. Of course FLASHIFY points to the bootloader file for rebooting, so I had to fix it just before rebooting (otherwise even with FLASHIFY it rebooted in recovery - and failed)

In the previous posts your suggestion was that of getting rid of ROM Manager, now also ROM toolbox. Do you really mean both of them? I mean, ROM toolbox does a lot of things, it has even a script editor, the terminal is just a detail. I have loaded a terminal application, it is limited.

With the CWD recovery the USB port didn't work at all in recovery, the PC did not recognize the tablet at all. Now it recognizes it as an external drive and there is the possibility of mounting the ext SD card from the recovery (in theory it should mount also other partitions but I was not able to do that) The recovery has also kind of a built-in file manager, terminal and other misterious thing such as adb sidelog. Looks safe, there must be a lot of things you can do in case of trouble, provided that the tablet at least reboots into rec overy.

Thanks a lot again !!!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    669 times
    Believe me, I am glad too.
    Basically I followed the guidelines that I found in the two links attached to the previous posts, only I had to change them because they did not work from the PC (no SU rights, no fastboot available). So I fixed the bootloader with a terminal and I used FLASHIFY app to do kind of a fastboot.

The other attempts failed as the flashing of the ROM was always done throught the CWD recovery, that either didn't work at all, or, when working, was messing the rebooting file every time. Since the flashed rom is actually loaded at rebooting, this caused the process to fail.
    I guess FLASHIFY did it directly and not throught the CWD. Of course FLASHIFY points to the bootloader file for rebooting, so I had to fix it just before rebooting (otherwise even with FLASHIFY it rebooted in recovery - and failed)

In the previous posts your suggestion was that of getting rid of ROM Manager, now also ROM toolbox. Do you really mean both of them? I mean, ROM toolbox does a lot of things, it has even a script editor, the terminal is just a detail. I have loaded a terminal application, it is limited.

With the CWD recovery the USB port didn't work at all in recovery, the PC did not recognize the tablet at all. Now it recognizes it as an external drive and there is the possibility of mounting the ext SD card from the recovery (in theory it should mount also other partitions but I was not able to do that) The recovery has also kind of a built-in file manager, terminal and other misterious thing such as adb sidelog. Looks safe, there must be a lot of things you can do in case of trouble, provided that the tablet at least reboots into rec overy.

Thanks a lot again !!!
    Sorry, you're right. I did not read correctly. ROM toolbox is fine... Mixed it up with ROM manager....

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links