Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: [OFFICIAL][FAQ] for KatKiss ROM (formerly TeamEOS 4) (Android 4.2.X) for the TF101

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

Ok, so there are an increasing number of users trying out the Team EOS 4 (Now evolved to KatKiss by TimDuru) for the TF101. I am starting this thread so that all the questions can be in one place.

Click HERE to jump to post #2 for FAQ's.

Here is a link to the official threads at XDA:
    [ROM][4.2.2][KatKiss]

[ROM][4.2 JB MR1] Team EOS 4 *JELLYBEAN MR1* Nightlies -- TF101
    If you are a member, I strongly encourage you to follow the development there as it is more up to date than here.

UPDATE: From RaymanFX @ XDA regarding TeamEOS:
    Quote Originally Posted by RaymanFX
    Hi all!

Today, I have to make a somewhat sad announcement..
    This is the end of Team EOS and thus the end of EOS ROMs.
    Since there were only three active EOS 'core developers' left, rlasalle15, bigrushdog and me, RaymanFX, decided to move on and become part of Team Codefire, merging parts of our code into the CodefireX rom. We are currently merging all EOS devices into codefire, and so the TF101 will get a CodefireX build soon. I set my early-deadline for this weekend.

I myself am very sad letting EOS die, but just three active developers were too few to support the huge device- and codebase we have right now.
    CodefireX will be a good new home to us and you, the community. It makes use of the newest toolchains avalable and comes with TONS of under-the-hood-optimizations.
    You will also be able to find tons of UI-customization, even more than in EOS. What is especially awesome about CFX, is that you can decide whether you want the pure vanilla android experience or the customized CFX experience with just one 'tap' in CFXSettings. Your needs should be fulfilled either way .

Special note regarding TF101: Since I don't know where timduru is hiding atm and failed to contact him, I will prepare the first CFX build for the TF101, still having my device right here. We moved him over (or let's say we invited him to join us in CFX), hoping he will continue his efforts for the TF101, we'll see what is gonna happen after I can reach out to him. But for now it seems like I have to re-activate my TF101 capabilities and start the tablet work more actively again. The EOS kernel will be left untouched though, as long as I don't see any urgent needs to update it (maybe a few SOD/RR fixes will be released in form of a seperate kernel I plan to compile), but the default CFX kernel will stay EOS.

EDIT: further information will be provided by @bigrushdog

Want to hang out with us? Join us on IRC (freenode): ##codefirex
    Want to see the interactive changelog/homepage? Changelog - codefireXperiment
    Want to contribute? Our GitHub is right here! https://github.com/codefireXperiment
    UPDATE 2: TimDuru @ XDA regarding TeamEOS:

TimDuru has not decided to move to team CodeFireX and continue with the development of the EOS 4 ROM by himself only evolving it to the name KatKiss ROM. Most options and settings are the exact same, so this thread will be used to continue being updated with KatKiss info.

Here are some quotes from users who have installed this ROM and their thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by scottporter View Post
    I found the last stock ICS ROM from Asus very stable if a little slow. It is still my standby- I can go back to it in a flash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    JB is faster and smoother. If you want a good solid ROM, check Team EOS 4
    Quote Originally Posted by theVenerable View Post
    Ok.. at last it seems to be in and working..

Its definitely faster than ICS..

I'm pleased with how this all turned out.

If anyone reading this thread is interested in switching to this OS, but is having second thoughts about it, Dont worry too much.

If I can do it, you probably can.
    Quote Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
    I have just got to say this is fantistic so far, browsing seems quicker etc.

Still learning but it feels like a new toy.
    As of now, I will only be doing this for the TeamEOS 4 ROM. I believe it is the best and most stable JB ROM out there. At some point, I may find a new one and abandon this one. I may or may not keep this thread up to date.

First, the disclaimer stuff...

DISCLAIMER:
    I am in NO WAY associated with TeamEOS. Special thanks to all those who have worked to develop this ROM, and special thanks to timduru who is continuing to support this ROM. I will do whatever I can to help you out if you have questions regarding the TeamEOS 4 ROM, however I cannot make changes to the code in any way shape or form. Also, I am not responsible if you brick your device during this process. I will help you try to unbrick it if something were to happen, but no guarantees. Also, if you enjoy this ROM, I strongly encourage you to donate to the developer(s) so they CONTINUE to develop this further. See the thread(s) at XDA for details on how to donate to the developers using PayPal.

PREFACE - SOME THINGS YOU MAY WANT TO KNOW

This section is to discuss some terms you will see in this section, and to understand what they mean.

Partitions - Android is Linux based, and the partition layout is a bit different than what you see on a traditional computer like a Windows machine. Typically Windows has one drive, C:\ that holds all of your files. This includes your temp (cache), boot, bios (recovery), System (C:\Windows), and the program files and your files.

Android is set up a bit differently. It contains the following partitions:
    /recovery/ - A failsafe backup system that you use to install an OS. This is quite similar to the BIOS of a computer.
    /boot/ - This allows the tablet to boot.
    /system/ - Where the OS file (ROM) is located. This is similar to the C:\Windows directory
    /cache/ - temp file storage. Similar to the C:\temp\ directory.
    /data/media/ - This is the internal /sdcard/ directory. It is similar to the My Documents folder on a computer.
    /data/ - This is where your apps are installed and stored. Basically like the Program Files directory.

One big advantage to this setup, you can fill your /sdcard/ full and the tablet will still boot because the OS and temp files are on separate sections so their space is not full.

ROM - This stands for Read Only Memory. Technically, the ROM is the firmware, and on a rooted tablet it is NOT read only. But, typically once installed the ROM resides on the /system/ partition and is left untouched during normal operation. Most ROM's also contain a default kernel with them. Some ROMs include the Google Apps (GAPPS) and some do not. In the case of the TeamEOS, it does include a default kernel, but no GAPPS so those will have to be installed separately.

Kernel - This is a bridge between the applications and the data processing on a hardware level. Different kernels can enable different features. Some kernels enable over/underclocking of the CPU and GPU, NTFS storage, better GPS performance, CIFS support (mount network storage), 3G modems, etc. The biggest advantage of running a non stock (asus) kernel is the ability to overclock. Most all Tegra 2 processors can easily handle a 1.4GHz overclock and be stable. Some can handle 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 GHz and still be stable. I know from mine, 1.6 GHz is pretty stable, but the tablet can get pretty warm. Here is a graphic to give an idea what the kernel is:
    If you want to learn more about what a kernel is and does, read here: Kernel

PART I - INSTALLING THE ROM FOR THE FIRST TIME

BEFORE YOU START - Please, do NOT proceed if you have a non-functioning VOL UP, VOL DOWN or POWER button. These are critical to help you in the event that you brick your device. There is a power button workaround, just plug it in and it will do the same thing as the power button from the off state. However, you may need to let the battery die if you do not have a working POWER button. If you do not have VOL UP or VOL DOWN, you will not be able to enter APX and or Recovery.

Step 1 - You will need a custom recovery.
    Check out this fancy guide here for getting TWRP installed: Frederuco's Guide to Root and ROM the TF101 Follow the first option for Rooted Stock with Custom Recovery.

Step 2 - Backup your files.
    I recommend using Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data. Tap the batch operation icon in the top right corner (next to the Menu button). Once competed, run the "Backup all user apps & System Data. Once this completes, you should VERIFY the backups. After that completes, I HIGHLY recommend copying the important files of your /sdcard/ to another location. If you are unsure, copy the entire contents of your /sdcard/ to another location. It can be USB, microSD, SD, computer or cloud storage. We will not be planning on wiping the entire /sdcard/, however it is better to be safe than sorry.

Step 3 - Update your TWRP
    The TWRP included with EasyFlasher is version 2.2.1.4. Currently the latest version is 2.3.2.3. Once you are rooted, it is easy to update. Download the GooManager from the Play Store.

Once you have GooManager installed, open it and grant it SuperUser permission.

Then tap the menu key and choose Install OpenRecoveryScript

Next, tap YES on the popups to confirm the install (should be 2 of them)

The tablet will probably reboot during this process as well.

Step 4 - Once you have TWRP installed, you will need to get the files for the ROM.

KatKiss ROM:
    The official KatKiss builds are located here. There are two build classes, STABLE and DEV. Stable is the more "stable" builds, and Tim's science lab (preview) builds are in the "dev" folder. Here are the latest builds as of 06-Aug-13:
    Stable - Build 226
    Dev - Build 226
    NOTE - 226 is likely to be the last build of KatKiss 4.2.2 as TimDuru is working on KatKiss 4.3

You will also need to install the Google Apps package (GAPPS) with this ROM as they are not included in the ROM itself. It is highly recommended that you use the GAPPS package for this ROM and the most current ones can be found here

The KatKiss already has the KatKernel included, so no need to flash that kernel.

There is a newer kernel (107 for Android 4.2) that adds functionality for the DLink DUB-100 c1 USB Ethernet adapter and also the USB RTL8150.

ATTENTION TF101G USERS - The included KatKernel is not designed for the TF101G and may cause random reboots and sleep of death quite often (every 2-4 hours). The fix - Use the kernel from joesteink's CM10.1 noname ROM. Many thanks to jrohwer for extracting it and zipping it up for us to use. Grab a copy here

If your audio is low, bad GPS or you want an ad-blocker, install the K.A.T Toolbox. Version 1.3.2 is the latest.

TeamEOS 4:
    The official TeamEOS 4 nightlies are here. Build 120 is the latest as of 17-Jun. This will likely be the last TeamEOS nightly. Yes, there is a build 121, but it does not boot with the default kernel and the microSD is not mounted. Stick with 120.

You will also need to install the Google Apps package (GAPPS) with this ROM as they are not included in the ROM itself. It is highly recommended that you use the GAPPS package for this ROM and the most current ones can be found here

Optional - Kernel. If you want to run a custom kernel, check out the KatKernel. *As of 23-Aug-13 the latest version is 106b for Android 4.2.

If your audio is low, bad GPS or you want an ad-blocker, install the K.A.T Toolbox. Version 1.3.2 is the latest.

Checklist:
    You need the following files:
    ROM (either KatKiss or TeamEOS 4)
    GAPPS
    Optional Kernel

Place all files either on a FAT32 microSD, or in your internal (/sdcard/) somewhere easy to find. For this example they will be on the microSD in a folder called TeamEOS

Step 5 - Nandroid Backup.
    Boot to recovery - Hold VOL DOWN and POWER for 12-15 seconds until you see the RCK message. Release both buttons, tap VOL UP. Once in recovery, perform a nandroid backup just to be safe. A nandroid is a full backup of your system. If your tablet is full of apps, your nandroid will be larger. Be sure your microSD card has plenty of room on it, or if you plan to use the internal storage, make sure that has room on it. You can skip the nandroid if you want, however it is a nice failsafe is something goes wrong during the flash. You can just restore the nandroid and have your tablet restored.

Once TWRP is loaded up, tap on the Backup button. I would backup the System, Data and BOOT partitions. The others are not as important, but you can if you want. Set your backup name if you desire and also choose internal or external storage. Then swipe to the right to create the backup. For a 2.6 GB backup, it took approximately 15 minutes to backup the device (872 seconds to be exact). Once it is complete, tap the HOME button in the top right corner of the TWRP screen.

Step 6 - Wipes
    This step is one of the most important. Failing to wipe all of these partitions can lead to Random Reboots (RR) and Sleep of Death (SoD) issues. It can also make your tablet run slow, force close apps, boot loop, etc.

From the main TWRP screen, tap WIPE. You will need to wipe the following sections:
    Cache
    Davlik Cache
    System (this wipes out the system firmware, but not the apps you have installed or system settings like account sync and WiFi networks).
    Factory Reset (this wipes out your /data/ directory where your installed apps reside, as well as your system settings. It does NOT wipe the /data/media/ partition aka /sdcard/ directory. Your files will still remain.)

Once you have completed the four wipes, tap the home button to return to the main TWRP menu.

Step 7 - Install
    From the TWRP main screen, tap the INSTALL button. I have my files on the microSD in a folder called KatKiss. So, I will tap the Using external SD radio button. Then open the KatKiss folder.
    First, we will select the ROM file. This is either the Nightly or the Preview. After tapping on it swipe to flash it. You can set up to flash multiple files at once, but I have had issues with this on 4.2 ROMs. It will most likely have a message that it could not mount E:/staging/. This is normal.
    Once that is done flashing tap the back arrow at the top. Choose the GAPPS file we downloaded. Swipe to flash.
    After that flashes complete, you can either reboot the system, or if you want to install a custom kernel, tap the back arrow, select the kernel, swipe and then reboot once it is complete.
    I usually wipe the cache and Davlik again before rebooting, but that is probably overkill.

Step 8 - First Boot
    You will see a 4 color boot animation for a few minutes. The first boot takes a bit longer than normal. Once it boots you should be greeted with a setup wizard. It may ask you to wait or force close, if so just tell it to wait. If you do NOT get the setup wizard to login to your Google account, reboot to recovery and flash GAPPS again. I would tell the wizard to restore your apps to this device automatically. It may or may not restore all of the from the Play Store.

Step 9 - Restoration
    Reinstall Titanium Backup from the Play Store if it did not download automatically. If your Titanium Backup files are still in the /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/ folder, it should find them. If not, you may want to move your files, or tell Titanium where the files are located in the Preferences. I have my Titanium stored on the microSD card automatically.
    Next, I tap the Batch Operations (icon in the top right by the MENU button). Choose to restore all user apps with data. On the next screen choose DATA ONLY and restore the data to all the apps that reinstalled from the setup wizard.
    After that completes, I choose to RESTORE ALL MISSING USER APPS. Select all, choose APP+DATA. When going through this process, you will need to tap INSTALL and DONE on the dialog boxes for each app that is installed.
    DO NOT restore system data. This can cause instablilites as the system data from a different ROM (such as STOCK ICS) may cause your JellyBean to crash, force close, boot loop, etc.

Step 10 - ENJOY!

PART II - UPDATING TO A NEW VERSION OF THE SAME ROM (Also, updating from TeamEOS 4 to KatKiss)

So, there is a new version of the ROM and you want to update? You should see a notification if you have GooManager installed when a new ROM is available.

Here's how:

Step 1 - Download the updated ROM, GAPPS and Kernel. Note that there is not always updates to all 3 at the same time. Place them where you can see them from recovery and note the location. For this example we will place them on the microSD card in a folder called KatKiss.

Step 2 - Once the files are downloaded, reboot to recovery. Hold the POWER button for 3 seconds. On the popup, tap REBOOT. On the next screen tap RECOVERY.

Step 3 - Wipe the following: Cache, Davlik, System. Tap the Home key to get to the main TWRP screen.

Step 4 - Install. Use the same procedure as before. Install the ROM, then GAPPS and then Kernel if applicable. Wipe Cache and Davlik if you desire again.

Step 5 - Reboot the system. After installing there is a REBOOT SYSTEM button.

Step 6 - Wait for it to finish upgrading your apps for the new OS.

Step 7 - Enjoy!

Jeffrey, Astrix, Bama29 and 18 others like this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

[OFFICIAL][FAQ] TeamEOS 4 (Android 4.2.1) for the TF101

Frequently Asked Questions

TeamEOS is no more, should I stay away from this ROM or switch to a new ROM since there is no support?
    TeamEOS may not be developing for this ROM, but this is STILL an EXTREMELY STABLE ROM. It is still highly recommended by me, as well as many other users. The new CodeFireX ROM may be just as good, but I would stick with this one for now unless you want to try something out to appease your crack-flashing addiction. I will still continue to monitor this thread (and I am sure many other will at xda as well) to help you out if you get stuck.

Also, TimDuru is continuing development of this as the KatKiss ROM, based off of the TeamEOS 4 ROM.

If you are running TeamEOS 4, you can just "Upgrade" (wipe caches & system) and flash KatKiss, no need to full wipe unless you are getting SOD and RR after upgrading to KatKiss.

Known issues and workarounds
    Default AOSP Soft keyboard crashing if using auto-suggestion
    => workaround: Go to the keyboard settings and change to Auto-correction off + Show correction suggestions:always hide.
    You can also fallback to gapps 20121229 (no swipe feature with that version though)
    - Autorotation is eating about 2-3% cpu, if you want maximum performance disable autorotation
    - Bottom Navbar can interfere with some apps, if you want maximum performance disable the navbar (in EOSControlcenter) or disable both bars (long press on the power button)
    (To switch between apps without a navbar you can hit alt+tab or ctrl+menu on the dock)
    - Using Simulate secondary display will generate a bootloop => do not use that option. If ever you did just reflash the rom
    - Bluetooth to devices like audio receivers, phones, tethering and the like works fine, but using an BT HID device like mouse/keyboard doesn't work
    UPDATE Bluetooth HID devices are working on KatKernel 94 and newer, as well as Nightly 96 and the preview B155 and newer.[/B]
    - Certain NTFS disk won't automount: might be dependent on the formatting and/or partitioning ?
    => workaround: try a 3rd party app to mount it: USB OTG Helper, paragon ntfs or the K.A.T app.
    - KatKernel has a bug for the SD card in the dock if tablet is booted. Workaround - open Settings - Storage - Dock SD - UNMOUNT. Wait a minute. Then tap MOUNT.
    - exFAT microSD and SD card support. Use NTFS and the K.A.T Toolbox or format to FAT32.
    - Sometimes volume is lost after sleep. Workaround - use the K.A.T Toolbox and tap the FM32 DSP Reinit to get volume back. You can also reboot.
    - If you have multiple user accounts, the lock screen may not show the ring to unlock or pattern properly. Best way to get around is to blindly swipe where it should be. Not a great workaround, but it is what it is thus far.
    - The latest Google Now update is crashing
    =>Workaround 1: Uninstall the update for the Google app in Settings - Apps - All - Google, then stop it from updating in the Play Store
    =>Workaround 2: Go to Settings - Language & input - Speech - Voice Search - Hotword detection (untick the box).
    -Google Now not present/not working (Preview B156 and GAPPS)
    =>Google Search did not install because it is not compatible with Android 4.2.2. Install Google Search from the Play Store.

What is working
    Everything else! GPS, WiFi (including channels 12, 13 and 14) keyboard dock with full support. Auto Brightness is much better than stock

What's new in Android 4.2
    Compared to Android 4.1, the main new thing is multiple user accounts. You can create more than one user account with their own discrete apps and data. Keep in mind that this will take up more room on your tablet if you have multiple users with their own apps installed. Also, the Tablet UI with the system bar at the bottom is gone. It is all Phablet UI with pull down menus. There are 2, notifications on the left, settings on the right.

There is a way to switch back to the Tablet UI, however you lose the quick settings (right pull down) and to change users you must lock the tablet, then unlock it.
    Another new feature of Android 4.2 is PhotoSphere (which works if you use the GAPPS listed in the OP). Basically, you can take a bunch of photos from one point and it will automatically match them up to give the viewer a 3D view you can pan around.

Compared to Android 4.0, a LOT has changed (including those noted above in the 4.1-4.2 changes). First and foremost - Project Butter. This was part of Jellybean (4.1) where Google worked on making the OS "Buttery Smooth" similar to iOS. Google Now is another new feature. It is an interactive search that you can ask questions and have them answered (similar to crApple's Siri). It is so much smoother than ICS. See the Jelly Bean forum for more details on what is new.

Can I get rid of the Phablet UI?
    Yes, this feature has been added. To enable this, go to Settings - -> Control Center --> Navigation --> UI Mode --> Tablet bar.

Is Adobe Flash supported on this ROM?
    Yes and no - Adobe has dropped flash support for Android. The latest versions were for 4.0 in August 2012.

HOWEVER - You can still sideload flash. First, go to Settings - Security - Unknown Sources. Tick the box. Next, go to the Adobe Archives and download the latest version for Android 4.0. After it downloads tap on it to install it.

Flash works well in the stock Browser, Firefox, Firefox Beta and Boat Browser. Dolphin has disabled flash support for JellyBean last time I checked.

Should I run a custom Kernel?
    This is a personal preference. Test it out and see what suits you better. For the TeamEOS 4 ROM, there are really 2 options - the included kernel with the ROM (variant of RaymanFX's Harmony kernel modified for 4.2) and timduru's KatKernel. Each kernel has it's advantages. The included kernel has better more reliable of FAT32 full size SD cards and USB drives, however the KatKernel also supports NTFS drives. Build 94 of the KatKernel also supports Bluetooth HID devices (mouse/keyboard) with very good success. This should be added to the default EOS 4 kernel, but no promises there. Another advantage of the KatKernel is it has the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) overclocked by default to give better performance. The default kernel with EOS 4 does not have an overclocked GPU. Finally, some users with the KatKernel experience a loss of audio after sleep, headphone usage or muting the system sounds. This has not been happening as much on the default kernel. I have this issue, but the K.A.T Toolbox DSP Reinit brings sound back without a reboot, so the overclocked GPU is worth the loss of sound from time to time.

If you NEED to have Ad-Hoc networking for your tablet, then you should also consider running the KatKernel. There is a version that has Ad-Hoc enabled.

Bottom line, try out the two kernels and see which you like better. Start with the default and see how it feels for a few hours or even a day. Then flash the KatKernel (wipe cache & Davlik cache after flashing) and see how that feels. If you want to go back to the default kernel, just wipe the cache, davlik and system, flash the ROM and then the GAPPs package and enjoy.

Where is the Play Store and GMail?
    You need to go back to recovery and flash GAPPS. You will have to flash GAPPS after EVERY time you flash the ROM. Some ROMs do not have this requirement, however the TeamEOS/KatKiss ROMs require the GAPPS to be flashed after you install the ROM, even if just updating to a newer nightly or preview build

I don't like the navigation buttons centered
    Go to Settings --> Control Center app. Navigation --> UI Mode --> Navigation Bar (left aligned). This will left justify the 3 softkeys.

Can I hide the system bars to get a true FULL SCREEN experience?
    Yes, just hold the LOCK button for 3 seconds. You will see the POWER MENU. Tap the SYSTEMBARS MODE to toggle them off and on. You can also go to Settings --> Control Center --> Navigation --> UI Mode --> None.

The Nav Bar takes up as much room as the old Statusbar, plus I lose the top notification bar. Anything I can do?
    Yes, open Settings --> Control Center --> Navigation --> the Low Profile Mode. There are 3 options for the heights: Normal (48 pixels), Slim (36 pixels), and Small (24 pixels).

This can also be done with the Tablet style UI. Normal (48 pixels), Slim (36 pixels), and Small (24 pixels).

My tablet does not see my WiFi on channels above 11
    This only applies to users outside the US for the most part. Open Settings --> Control Center. On the top right tap where it says INTERFACE and choose SYSTEM. Scroll down to WIFI REGULATORY DOMAIN. Choose the appropriate one for your country/region. For newer builds (Nightly 94 and Preview B150 and newer), swipe to get to System in the Control Center.

How do I use Google Now?
    Tap on the Google icon in the app drawer. Agree to the terms and such. Then you are all set. On the screen, say Google and then you can ask a question. To quickly access it, swipe up from the home button and VIOLA!

Google Now/Search crashes
    This is an issue with the latest update from the Play Store. Either uninstall the update, or go to Settings - Language & input - Speech - Voice Search - Hotword Detection (untick)

I have the dock, is there a way I can hide the NavBar but keep the notification bar at the top?
    Yes, open the EOS Control Center. Scroll down and tick the HIDE NOW under the Navigation Bar section. If you want it hidden on boot, you can also tick the box for it.

Even if you DON'T have the dock, you can install the app LMT and set up thumb controls to swipe in from the left or right to use.

Can I overclock the CPU? If so, how?
    There are many tools you can use to overclock, but there is one built into the EOS Control Center. Open the EOS Control Center, tap the Interface in the top right, then tap System. For newer builds (Nightly 94 and Preview B150 and newer), swipe to get to System in the EOS settings.
    Open the Performance Settings. Adjust as necessary. The Governor is basically how aggressively it ramps up the max clock speed. Using the KatKernel, I use Smartass V2 and it works realy well. Then there are the max and min speeds. Min, many users set to 312 if they have RR and SOD. For the top end, I use 1.4 GHz. It runs OK on mine at 1.6, and crashes at 1.7. 1.6 it runs a bit warm for my taste and I cannot tell much difference between 1.4 and 1.6 for performance.
    You could underclock, but there is not much need unless you use a governor that keeps it at the max speed (like Performance). Using one like smartass v2, it only runs the CPU as fast as it needs. If you are just using a simple app like GMail, it will run at 700-800 MHz, but if you open ShadowGun it will jump to the max CPU setting.

Do I need Dual Battery Widget?
    If you are running Nightly 93, or Previews older than B145, yes. Preview B145 and B148 have dock battery support in the navigation bar in the top right. It will be integrated into Nightly 94 when it is released.

My battery is draining fast
    Check your WiFi sleep settings. Settings - WiFi - Tap the button in the top right, Advanced, WiFi on during sleep - Never. Keep in mind, this is forced. No need for AutoAirplane Mode, this ROM forces the WiFi off when the tablet is sleeping.

There is also a setting for how long after you put the tablet to sleep that WiFi stays on. EOS Control Center, go to the Systems settings. Change the SCREEN OFF WIFI IDLE DELAY.

The dock is using a US layout and I do not have a US dock. How do I change it?
    You probably already tried changing the AOSP keyboard in the Language and input with no luck. Well, it is not there. It is buried in the Control Center.
    Open Control Center. Top right, change from Interface to System. For newer builds (Nightly 94 and Preview B150 and newer), swipe to get to System in the Control Center. Tap on Device Settings. Tap Dock Keyboard Layout. Choose the proper layout and then you will need to reboot for the settings to take effect.

How do I get rid of the circle touchpad and get a real pointer?
    Open Settings --> Control Center. Top right, change from Interface to System. For newer builds (Nightly 94 and Preview B150 and newer), swipe to get to System in the Control Center. Tap on Device Settings. Touchpad Mode. Change from Gestures (CIRCLE) to Trackpad (Arrow)

My Volume is lower than it was on stock
    Most custom ROMs for JellyBean have had some volume issues. There is an app for that! It is made by none other than TimDuru. It is the K.A.T Toolbox. Here is the link to the official thread at XDA: (This app is included by default in the KatKiss ROM)
    K.A.T - V1.2.4 [ICS][JB4.1-4.2.1] App | Audio enhancer | Misc fixes | Scanner Filters
    Read more about what it is and how to use it in that thread.

Direct download link for the app is here: Index of /android/tf101/K.A.T/app Grab the latest and install it. Once installed, open it. Grant root permissions. Tap the Audio Section. Tap the Cascade Digital + Analog Levels and Link Volumes to Volume Keys. This will give you about as much volume as you can get out of your tablet. Volume levels go from 0 to 63.

Not all users have root (super user) permissions
    So, you have multiple users but only the first one has root access. This is a limitation of the SuperSU app (and also the SuperUser app). I am pretty sure the developers are working on adding this functionality (and options to restrict certain users). Unfortunately, there is not much you can do at this time if a second user need to run a root app.

There have been updates to SuperUser app that you CAN enable superuser for multiple accounts if you wish.

How do I get rid of the darn APP DRAWER icon that is bottom dead center?
    The stock launcher has a fixed icon that you cannot get rid of for the app drawer. You will need to check out a custom launcher like Apex, Nova, ADW or another one. I like the look of Apex myself with the App Drawer icon in the top right. Custom Launchers are the way to go IMO, so much more you can do with them compared to the stock ICS/JB launchers.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times

Tips & Tweaks

TIPS & TWEAKS

This is a section to talk about some of the customizations this ROM can do to make your tablet truly one of a kind, and tailored for you.

Themes
    Some users are really into themes. I have never gotten too much into it, but if you are interested this theme manager works with EOS 4. The one included in the ROM (in the Control Center) does not work properly.

These settings are in the Control Center portion of the ROM. To get to the Control Center, go to Settings --> Control Center.

Interface
    This section has a few optimizations for the user interface.

First, you can enable ALL widgets to be added to your lock screen. The lockscreen has a widget on the left side and you can add some widgets to see info without unlocking your tablet. Swipe left and right to see the different widgets.

Next, you can add 2 nice features to the recent panel, Kill All Button and a Memory Display. Notice the 3 offset bars on the bottom left? That is the Kill All and you can see the Memory Display at the top.

KatKiss ROM adds a General Section that has a few options:
    Force show menu overflow - This checkbox will force the UI to show the menu softkey no matter what. Keep in mind, the menu key may do nothing in some apps if this option is checked.
    Show Control Center Icon - By default, KatKiss does not have the Control Center shown in the App Drawer. It is in Settings --> Control Center. If you need the app icon for a launcher shortcut, LMT, GMD or other reason, tick this box and you will have an app shortcut.
    Show Epanded Desktop Icon - This gives an icon on the home screen for expanded desktop. Handy if you want to add to something like LMT. Personally, I just keep the expanded desktop shown in the Power Menu for easy access.

Navigation Bar
    There is a section of the Control Center where you can customize the nav bar at the bottom.

We already talked about hiding the bar, low profile mode and left or centered soft keys.

There is a NX Gesture Bar that you can set up to use Gestures instead of the soft buttons. This will give you a circle of dots. Start your gestures from this spot, left is back, up is home and right for recent. Long press the center for MENU.

Glass is a way to make your status/nav bar transparent or semi-transparent. If you have a light colored background, this will show through. Left is Glass Disabled and right is Glass Enabled.

The Softkey Settings has some nice customizations. You can change the color of the key, as well as the glow color when you touch the softkey.

BUT - you can also enable a Long Press for each button. Once you enable this, tap the sliders on the right hand side of the BACK key section to set the back key long press. I like to set this one for KILL THE CURRENT APP. But, you can set it for a variety of commands, or to launch an app.

You can do this for the recent apps and set it for a screenshot like the stock ROM. If you set a long press for the menu key, you will want to make the menu key persistent (bottom of the list) so it is always visible (in the lower right)

Now, you are probably asking - WHAT ABOUT THE HOME BUTTON? How come I cannot set a long press action for that?

If you look at the next option below the SoftKey settings - Quick Launch Targets

The Quick Launch Targets - this is where you can set up to 3 quick launch targets. By default it has one for Google Now. You can change this to any other commands, or to launch apps. I have it set to launch Dolphin Browser.

Status Bar
    In the Control Center, there are some settings you can change to customize the status bar (at the top).

Color - Allows you to have a custom color for your status bar.
    Battery - Show/hide the icon, show hide text, show hide the % sign. You can change the Battery Text Color as well.
    Clock - You can show/hide the clock, change the color and also change the AM/PM style.
    Settings Panel Controls - This is where you can customize the settings dropdown (top right one).
    The first option is to toggle what is and is not shown. The order you tick the boxes determines which order they appear. You must swipe left and right to change between Brightness and Volume sliders.
    The second option is to change the number of columns in the panel. You can choose 3 or 4. Mainly I use this to try to make it look clean. For 8 toggles, I use 4. If I use 9, set for 3.
    Toggles - This is a legacy thing that is still around from EOS 3 when there was no quick settings panel. In ICS, there were some quick settings (even on the stock ROM) to toggle WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. This is where you can configure them and they show at the top of the Notifications dropdown. I have these turned off in favor of the Quick Settings. Very handy if you use the Tablet UI. If you are using Phablet UI, it may be better to use Quick Controls.

System Settings

Performance Settings - This is where you can set your CPU maximum and minimum speeds, the governor (how quickly the CPU speed ramps up on demand), the I/O Scheduler (SIO is HIGHLY recommended) as well as ZRAM. You can choose to set these values on boot. You can also use a 3rd party app to set these if you want, but be sure you do not have these being set on boot as well as a 3rd party app.
    Privacy Settings - Enable logging if you wish. I have never used this section.
    Device Settings - This is where you can change the physical Keyboard Dock layout to a different one. The default is US keyboard, but if you have a non-US keyboard the layout may be different. This will require a reboot to change. There is also an option to change the touchpad from the arrow (Trackpad) to the circle cursor (Gestures)

Volume & Sound
    In the Control Center, change from the Interface to the System section to access the Volume and Sound choices. There is an option to swap the VOL UP/DOWN keys when you have your tablet flipped over. You can also set up long press option to seek forward/back when listening to music. This is a handy feature if your tablet is locked and you want to skip ahead or back and don't want to actually unlock it and go to the app.

Power & Display
    There are some options here. First, you can disable the battery popup dialog boxes.
    The next one is nice - Screen behavior when charging - Ticking this box will not wake the display when you plug it into, or disconnect from the charger. I beleive it will still boot up if it is off, but if you have it sleeping the screen will not wake when you plug it in.
    There are some CRT settings that change the power off and on setting to make it look like a CRT monitor shutting off. Kinda nostalgic, and I think it is pretty sweet.
    And finally in this section you can change the screenshot factor. At 100%, your screenshots are 1280x800. 75%, 960x600; 50%, 640x400; and 25% it will be 320x200.

Network And Connectivity
    Here are some settings you can change.
    First, the network host name - this is the name how your device shows up to network equipment. This has been one thing that many users complained about not being able to change on the stock ROM as it is something like android0u812.
    Then there is the WiFi regulatory Domain - this is what channels you can connect to. US - Channels 1-11, Japan 1-14, EMEA 1-13.
    Finally, a timeout for how long after you turn off the screen that your WiFi connection is active (only applies if you have your WiFi set to turn off during sleep).

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    202 times
    Great idea posting this Fred.

Running this now and seems far more stable than I expected, fantastic work from the team.

You might just want to add a bit about side loading Flash?
    Astrix and Frederuco like this.
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Nice work Fred...
    Frederuco likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Another very good resource with many questions answered in one location. Good stuff!
    Frederuco likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 14theroad View Post
    Great idea posting this Fred.

You might just want to add a bit about side loading Flash?
    Yeah, I know. The FAQ is a work in progress. I fell asleep before I could get the FAQ started. Well, I could have started it but it would have been some unreadble rubbish as I was quite tired when I finished the OP. Added the Flash, and a few other FAQ's.
    14theroad likes this.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101G
    Liked
    0 times

Re: [OFFICIAL][FAQ] TeamEOS 4 (Android 4.2.1) for the TF101

Nice work, very informative - as always. :-)
    Does this ROM works for TF101G version?

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk HD

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1223 times
    What features in the stock Rom are not working in TeamEos 4? Does GPS work now for instance? Thanks for any information on what is not supported.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kifla View Post
    Nice work, very informative - as always. :-)
    Does this ROM works for TF101G version?
    It does, however 3G is not fully supported. I believe it will work if you use the PPP widget, but no guarantees. Also, you cannot use EasyFlasher, you should use PERI to install CWM, then root, then install TWRP via the GooManager.

Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    What features in the stock Rom are not working in TeamEos 4? Does GPS work now for instance? Thanks for any information on what is not supported.
    I was just thinking I needed to add this to the top of the FAQ post.

EDIT: Added what is and isn't working.

Long story short, as of now the ONLY thing that is not working well is Bluetooth HID (mouse/keyboard). Sony PS3 controller works with the SixAxis (paid) app, bluetooth audio devices work, etc. The default keyboard (AOSP) does not support AutoCorrect (it force closes) but ANY OTHER KEYBOARD it is functioning. If you want it working, you can use an older GAPPS version, but then you lose some features.
    Swipe likes this.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links