Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Stock (Rooted) Firmware versus Custom ROMs Performance and General Questions

I'm a performance nut who overclocks his computers because he can. Anyways I rooted my TF101 almost as soon as I took it from the box to get rid of all the bloatware ASUS deigned to install on the stock ROM. So... and this is possibly the noobiest question asked here but here goes...

In general which has better performance and features stock rooted or custom ROM (and which one) while still being at least somewhat easy to put back to stock firmware? I still need complete access to the Play Store for my classes and such and need to be able to undo anything so I can still use my Best Buy warranty (I'm really rough on electronics, other than Desktops) for the battery and should any woeful accident befall it and it need to be repaired or replaced.

I'd like to be able to overclock it at least a little bit which is something that I couldn't seem to do on rooted stock 3.2 firmware.

Installation shouldn't be a big deal I had to do some workarounds to get it rooted the first time which included using a slightly altered TF101G Stock Firmware which I rooted, though it made my TF101 think it was a TF101G, which I believe I have fixed when I installed 4.0.3. It doesn't think it's a WW SKU instead of US anymore at any rate.

If you need more details as to my hardware I suppose I can try to take a picture of or list the information on the sticker on the back.

The current versions listed under about tablet are as follows.
    Model: TF101
    Android: 4.0.3
    GPS: V6.9.12
    Wi-Fi: V6.1.1.24
    Bluetooth: V8.30
    Touch Panel: MXT-1.1 build 1
    Kernel: 2.6.39.4 android@mercury #1
    IML74K.US_epad-9.21.24-20120503
    MobileDock: EP101-0213

The firmware is from the ASUS site [SPOILER]Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Firmware: V9.2.1.24 Only for US SKU (Android 4.0.3)[\SPOILER] and rooted using OneClick Recovery (because it was easy)
    I'd post the links to the exact versions but I'd hope they were obvious and I don't want to check the rules for links atm.
    Last edited by phazer11; 08-21-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Personally, I haven't run a stock firmware since about a month after I bought the TF101. If you are looking for performance and speed, I have found that there is no substitute for a good home baked Custom ROM, you can overclock the stock ROM if you install a custom kernel, but the stock ROM is not deodexed and doesn't have some of the performance mods that customs do. If you are looking at ICS the Megatron ROM is fantastic and was my daily driver until a couple of weeks ago, if you are looking at JellyBean I would go for RaymanFX's AOSP ROM, it is extremely quick and well maintained. The best part about custom ROMs (especially an AOSP ROM) is that there is very little to no bloat to remove. As for getting back to stock, you will have a custom recovery to flash different ROMS/kernels. All you need to do is flash the official ASUS ROM and you will be back to 100% stock.

Edit: Sorry I almost forgot to give you a link to the best place to find TF101 ROMS in the universe LINKY
    Last edited by bfmetcalf; 08-21-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah yes! Good Ole XDA, I've lurked there for a bit too, should probably setup an account there. Made the foolish mistake of updating my Samsung Infuse to Gingerbread, seems rooting the stock firmware is a hassle.

I see you compiled yours with Arch Linux; how big of a file was it and can you personally recommend some ROMs? I'd compile one myself but I find myself somewhat lazy when it comes to anything not a desktop.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Favorite JB ROM - not real great dock support though

Best JB with dock support

Favorite ICS ROM

The file after compiling is around 215MB you need to have around 9 gigs free on the PC to compile it though. Honestly, Arch is a PITA to compile android on because android isn't meant to use bleeding edge glibc or make or java. Still can get it to work though, even a wiki entry for it. (I love the arch wiki!)

As for the infuse, just skip rooting and install CWM and flash a ROM. I hate Samsung's stock phone ROM anyways, Heimdall is even in the AUR and can install CWM for you. I did the same thing on my HTC Hero back in the day, the update screwed it.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Really I didn't realize Heimdall was in the AUR, haven't used Arch in a couple of weeks sadly too many non linux programs to use. Arch Wiki FTW!!

Anyways I'll look at those ROMs, thanks. I suppose I make a thread over in XDA as well just for variety and one for my Infuse.
    Custom Desktop:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k Overclocked to 4.9 GHz Liquid Cooling
    Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    RAM: G-Skill 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Case: HAF 932 Custom Mods

Tablet: ASUS TF101 running Ice Cream Sandwich
    Phone: Samsung Infuse running Gingerbread

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfmetcalf View Post
    Favorite JB ROM - not real great dock support though

Best JB with dock support

Favorite ICS ROM

The file after compiling is around 215MB you need to have around 9 gigs free on the PC to compile it though. Honestly, Arch is a PITA to compile android on because android isn't meant to use bleeding edge glibc or make or java. Still can get it to work though, even a wiki entry for it. (I love the arch wiki!)

As for the infuse, just skip rooting and install CWM and flash a ROM. I hate Samsung's stock phone ROM anyways, Heimdall is even in the AUR and can install CWM for you. I did the same thing on my HTC Hero back in the day, the update screwed it.
    I'm using your favorite ICS ROM and keeping a close eye on the work RaymanFX is doing on JB. While I haven't really used the dock's special keys much I would like to have that functionality. How do you like it (RaymanFX's JB) so far? What bothers you the most about it as your daily driver? On another note, did you have a problem with your Megatron build not showing up on Google Play's device list?
    Last edited by negatron; 08-24-2012 at 12:12 AM.
    ALL HAIL NEGATRON!!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Well xda seems to be no help at all. Anyone know how good dock support is with Cyanogenmod 9?
    Custom Desktop:

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    *SIGH* Anyone?
    Custom Desktop:

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Are you asking about CM9 specifically or even CM9 based ROMS? If the latter, then Megatron v1.1.6 supports the dock fully.
    ALL HAIL NEGATRON!!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Either. I just need Dock support and HDMI out. I'd prefer non honeycomb base but... oh and it needs to be deodexed so I can OC.
    Custom Desktop:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links