Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Unable to connect to hidden wifi

I just got a transformer today and am trying to connect to my wifi. It does not broadcast the sidd but when i enter in all the information it still will not connect. I don't see any option to use the auto create connection for me.

Others I know who have the same device have also had no luck. They have turned on broadcast to connect but after turning off broadcast the connection is lost. Sure hope I don't have to root the device to get it working. Maybe later I would like to try that, but not til I am more familuar with the device.

I know my routers and networking and also have a Galaxy S that works for me. Just figure I am missing something.

Thanks
    Last edited by transformme; 06-03-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by transformme View Post
    I just got a transformer today and am trying to connect to my wifi. ..... it still will not connect.
    Same here - my home wifi has static IP address that I have to enter manually for every device I want to connect.
    Well, the form has all the necessary fields, like password, IP, gateway, DNS1 and DNS2 - BUT it also has a field for "Network prefix length" that I have no faintest idea about. Googled it and understood that I would never understand it. Still, it won't connect without this field filled in.
    Crap.
    Luckily, I have a new router that was sitting in the drawer for a few months waiting till I finally stop finding excuses for not installing it. Tonight it will be set up and hopefully the problem gets solved.
    But still, WTF is that network prefix length thing??

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CathayStray View Post
    Same here - my home wifi has static IP address that I have to enter manually for every device I want to connect.
    Well, the form has all the necessary fields, like password, IP, gateway, DNS1 and DNS2 - BUT it also has a field for "Network prefix length" that I have no faintest idea about. Googled it and understood that I would never understand it. Still, it won't connect without this field filled in.
    Crap.
    Luckily, I have a new router that was sitting in the drawer for a few months waiting till I finally stop finding excuses for not installing it. Tonight it will be set up and hopefully the problem gets solved.
    But still, WTF is that network prefix length thing??
    Could the network prefix length mean your network subnet mask. For example, 255.255.255.0 or /24 for a typcial class C IPv4 network?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    same problem here.
    No connect without SSID broadcast.
    This is really annoying......

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by transformme View Post
    I just got a transformer today and am trying to connect to my wifi. It does not broadcast the sidd but when i enter in all the information it still will not connect. I don't see any option to use the auto create connection for me.

Others I know who have the same device have also had no luck. They have turned on broadcast to connect but after turning off broadcast the connection is lost. Sure hope I don't have to root the device to get it working. Maybe later I would like to try that, but not til I am more familuar with the device.

I know my routers and networking and also have a Galaxy S that works for me. Just figure I am missing something.

Thanks
    Apparently Android has problems with 802.11n with a hidden SSID, even with multiband routers. Once you are sure the network info in your Android device has the exact SSID entered correctly, try changing your router to G-only with hidden SSID and see if that helps. I've tested with a multitude of Android devices running 1.6, 2.1-2, and 3.1-2 with success.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can substantiate noissuesman's response. My Thunderbolt using Froyo would not find an 802.11n router with a hidden SSID. When Gingerbread was pushed, same pblm. I was cursing HTC, but now curse Google. Shouldn't be that tough to figure out.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Also I want to add that the TF radio can only see 2.4 GHz radios, 5 GHz are not an option with the installed radio. In the 2.4 GHz band, only channels 1-11 are usable as well. Outside of the US channels 12-14 may be used from time to time.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links