Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

battery drained to near zero in 3 days of SHUTDOWN

hey all,

I know there are a lot of battery drain issues, I've read thru the posts but I'm a little confused so here's my problem:

1)after fully charging, my TF was SHUTDOWN for three days, the next time I tried to start it battery was down to near zero (it actually wouldn't start at first, but eventually did). Subsequent testing suggests that even in SHUTDOWN the battery is losing 30% or so per day. It seems even in shutdown the tab is draining, then charging from the dock. I installed Auto Airplane Mode but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

2) I don't think I have the battery drain issue - if I put the tablet into sleep mode (just wait for it to go, or press the power button once) pressing any key does NOT cause it to wake up.

3) seems a lot of people never shut down, just leave on sleep. I've been in the habit of shutting it down overnight etc, I guess I could change that habit and never shut down unless I need to, (currently testing if I still get battery drain, I guess I'll find out later today), but even so this battery drain is disconcerting and if it's a flaw then I want to get it fixed.

4) most of my usage is docked, so I don't know if the problem persists undocked (again something I could test if necessary - once the current sleep-mode-test is done)

can anyone offer any suggestions? Does it need to go back to the shop or is there something I can do here?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    There is alot of information we don't know about your setup..but...

There maylikely an app or multiple apps running when in standby off mode that will continue to use battery power despite the screen being turned off.

- What firmware version is on your Transformer?
    - Do you leave WIFI, Bluetooth, or other apps running, even in standby off mode? (There are configuration settings to automatically set these to "off".
    - Do you have the Auto Airplane Mode app installed and operating on your Transformer? [ This app shuts down all apps when your unit is in standby]

That added information would be helpful to diagnose your symptoms.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I am curious what your battery usage or life is if you were to leave it sleeping with Airplane Mode switched on.

This is quite an odd phenomenon if it loses 30% whilst powered off.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    202 times
    This problem seems a bit odd.

If the TF is switched off, it should use next to nothing battery wise, and should be just listening to the power up signal.

I loose about 3-4% over night in sleep/standby mode without airplane mode.

Admittedly, it was worse before the latest FW update but with 20011107 update it is more than acceptable.

Looks like one to RMA I guess?
    ASUS Transformer 16GB TAB B60, DOCK B60
    Build Number:- IML74K.WW_epad-9.2.1.27-20120615
    Mobile Dock Version:- EP101-0213

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    ASUSFAN0001 -
    -Auto Airplane Mode is installed,
    -firmware is android 3.2.1, is that the info you need? If you need more can you tell me where to find it, I looked but couldn't find the firmware numbers. However I checked for firmware updates and there were none.
    -I don't think I have any apps running in the background as the TF was shutdown (ie not in sleep: press and hold power button and when it asks me "are you sure you want to shutdown" i click yes, need to long press the power button and it takes 30secs to restart).

Frederuco, 14theroad, looking at that now it seems I am not losing power in sleep mode, the lines seem flat, tho that's only leaving it for 1 1/2 hours so difficult to tell for sure right now. It does seem odd that it loses power when in complete shutdown....
    Last edited by trumpetter; 11-27-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    confirmed that the battery DOES NOT drain when in sleep mode, it went to sleep at 21:29 at night at 100/97 and woke up at 9:10 the next morning at 95/99, the next night go to sleep was 97/79 and the next morning was 99/71.

So that's reassuring, I'll try shutting it down later and see what happens, if it still drains in shutdown I'll have to mull either leaving it on sleep all the time or taking it back to the shop.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpetter View Post
    confirmed that the battery DOES NOT drain when in sleep mode, it went to sleep at 21:29 at night at 100/97 and woke up at 9:10 the next morning at 95/99, the next night go to sleep was 97/79 and the next morning was 99/71.

So that's reassuring, I'll try shutting it down later and see what happens, if it still drains in shutdown I'll have to mull either leaving it on sleep all the time or taking it back to the shop.
    Well in the end...that's great news.

It's going to be pretty tough to figure out historically why you had the experience you did...but the most important thing is that you are now OK.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    You may also want to check the settings/applications/development and ensure that the "stay awake" option is disabled, otherwise you will get drain when the tablet is docked and powered off

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    Please describe sleep or standby. I assume it means tapping the power button followed by the screen going blank. If so, then I am definitely still draining. I have the Don Auto Airplane Mode installed and it shows on the status bar.

For example, I it out it in sleep for a few minutes, and I still got Facebook notifications immediately on returning from sleep mode. It seemed like wifi was still on.

Is there something I am missing?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    shutdown over night last night it went from 96/94 at 23:44 to 96/91 at 08:00, so a slight drain still when shutdown, but I think I'm tempted not to worry about it, I have realised how convenient it is to leave it on sleep mode and have it right there whenever I want it, and in sleep it doesn't seem to be draining.

I did have a problem with auto airplane mode tho, it works too well and at work every time it comes out of sleep i had to log back on to the wifi, fairly annoying so i had to disable it. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between auto-airplane mode and going to settings and doing wifi>wifi connection policy>turn off wifi when the screen goes off (the first option) (sorry if the phrasing isn't quite right, I'm translating from my japanese-language TF - I live in japan).

oh, and for chuckles: every single time I tried to type 'wifi' in the above paragraph I mistyped it as 'wife' - "wife>wife connection policy>turn off wife when the screen goes off"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links