Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times

Video format for TF

Could someone tell me if MPG4 is the preferred video format for videos to play on the EEE?

YouTube Downloader/Converter has the following convert to formats:

Ipod Video (Apple Quick Time MOV)
    Iphones Video (MPEG-4 MP-4)
    PSP Video (H.264 MP-4)
    Cell Phone (H.263 3GP)
    Windows Media Video (V.7 WmV)
    XVid MPEG-4 Codec (AVI)
    MPEG Augio Layer 3 (MP3)
    Manual conversion (Asks for the insertion...)

We chose the Iphone Video (MPEG-4 MP-4)

Is that acceptable?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    That should work fine but it might be a tad better if you selected the H.264. May not really matter all that much. You be the judge.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    That should work fine but it might be a tad better if you selected the H.264. May not really matter all that much. You be the judge.
    Thank you. Will try both.
    Would you or someone else know of a free downloader/converter for YouTube videos that would be quicker to download/convert videos (to be used on the EEE) than the YouTube downloader?
    My grandson is a bit impatient waiting for the videos to download and then to convert, using the YouTube downloader.
    We are now using YouTube downloader to download (and convert) the YouTube videos to our computer and then transferring them to a SD card for the EEE

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    try video catcher. But are you sure you want to reformat vids? I no longer hve to reformat my videos as there are a number of great video apps for androod available in the market with a wide range of supported video file formats.
    HTC Desire HD running on 2.3.3
    Asus EEE Pad Transformer with Keyoard Dock on 3.2.1
    Clone Quad Core Desktop (Win 7 64bit)/ Acer Aspire 4736 (Win7 32bit)

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alicez View Post
    Thank you. Will try both.
    Would you or someone else know of a free downloader/converter for YouTube videos that would be quicker to download/convert videos (to be used on the EEE) than the YouTube downloader?
    My grandson is a bit impatient waiting for the videos to download and then to convert, using the YouTube downloader.
    We are now using YouTube downloader to download (and convert) the YouTube videos to our computer and then transferring them to a SD card for the EEE
    Hi Alice.

Tubemate is a good app that does this, as is FreeDI, however, you quite probably will not find them on the Market and will have to Google them as You Tube does not like you to download videos - only to stream them.

You are aware that you can watch You Tube stright from the tf? There is an app already on your tablet & as you have already installed Flash you can also watch using the browser.
    Last edited by janner43; 11-21-2011 at 02:36 AM. Reason: addition

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markjeff View Post
    try video catcher. But are you sure you want to reformat vids? I no longer hve to reformat my videos as there are a number of great video apps for androod available in the market with a wide range of supported video file formats.
    Thank you for your advice. I am not really that knowledgeable about all of this (formatting, etc.).
    For instance, I really do not know what you mean by "as there are a number of great video apps for androod available in the market with a wide range of supported video file formats"
    We thought when we downloaded a video from YouTube it might be in a format that was not supported by the TF (I think it was something like FLV, and we had to convert to MP4, because FLV doesn't play on the TF.
    My grandson just wanted to download his favorite YouTube music videos to the SD card that he installs on the T"F. When he downloads them, I believe they are in some different kind of format (FLV maybe?).
    Evidently FLV (YouTube videos) format doesn't work in the TF.
    Last edited by alicez; 11-21-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi Alice.

Tubemate is a good app that does this, as is FreeDI, however, you quite probably will not find them on the Market and will have to Google them as You Tube does not like you to download videos - only to stream them.

You are aware that you can watch You Tube stright from the tf? There is an app already on your tablet & as you have already installed Flash you can also watch using the browser.
    Thank you. He does watch the YouTube videos on the TF, but when he visits his friends he likes to share with them the videos he has stored on the SD card (when he is not near WiFi).

If YouTube doesn't like people to download their videos, why does the YouTube Downloader program (that we are using) exist? Isn't that issued by YouTube? Sorry for all the questions, but just a bit confusing and I am trying to learn as quickly as possible (if at all possible). Formatting, different extension, etc.....
    We tried to play a HD 720p MP4 video on TF, but it didn't seem to work. Guess HD 720p MP4 doesn't play on the TF. Usually a YouTube video downloads as FLV and that is why we have to convert it to the (Iphoe) MP4 in order for it to play. However, this one downloaded as Stevie Wonder Superstition 720p 4.3 HD MP4 (already said MP4) and that is what we tried to play on the TF. It did start to play, but then froze after a few seconds. As I said, guess HD does not play on the TF.

Is TubeMate the same as YouTube Downloader? Is it faster. Will YouTube videos (downloaded) play on the TF without converting them to just video MP4, rather than Iphone MP4 (or doesn't it matter)?
    Last edited by alicez; 11-21-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times

1. If YouTube doesn't like people to download their videos, why does the YouTube Downloader program (that we are using) exist? Isn't that issued by YouTube? Sorry for all the questions, but just a bit confusing and I am trying to learn as quickly as possible (if at all possible). Formatting, different extension, etc.....

2. We tried to play a HD 720p MP4 video on TF, but it didn't seem to work. Guess HD 720p MP4 doesn't play on the TF. Usually a YouTube video downloads as FLV and that is why we have to convert it to the (Iphoe) MP4 in order for it to play. However, this one downloaded as Stevie Wonder Superstition 720p 4.3 HD MP4 (already said MP4) and that is what we tried to play on the TF. It did start to play, but then froze after a few seconds. As I said, guess HD does not play on the TF.

3. Is TubeMate the same as YouTube Downloader? Is it faster. Will YouTube videos (downloaded) play on the TF without converting them to just video MP4, rather than Iphone MP4 (or doesn't it matter)?
    Hi Alice.

I see we are still in video watching territory! I am no expert when it comes to these things, but I will try to explain what I can. But not in numerical order.

1. I have never come across YouTubeDownloader so I don't know where it comes from, but as far as I know (AFAIK) & this is what I have just "picked up", YT does not encourage the downloading of videos, but clearly doesn't try to stop the practise as it seems to be widespread for various reasons. EG a slow internet connection causes lots of buffering so it would be easier to download something to watch when it was complete.

3. Tubemate allows you to download videos from YT & allows you to choose from various options when you download it. The standard option is as a .mp4 file. However, you are often allowed to select different qualities of video & on occasion the highest quality comes as a .flv file. The length of time it takes is determined by the size of the video you are downloading & the speed of your internet connection. The size of the file is determined by:
    i. length, in minutes, of the video
    ii. quality selected - higher quality = larger file = longer time
    You can, however, download multiple videos at the same time.

2. Here is where we get into potentially deeply technical territory. I do not know much more than the following, some of this is only repeating what I have been told, but have never tried.

The tf most definately CAN display both 720p & 1080p HD video.

Both MX & Mobo will play .flv files & I would be surprised if Rock Player didn't. However, as I said in the other video thread, you will need to familiarise yourself with file manager and file locations, together with setting up video apps to get the best out of this area.

AFAIK the problem with video file formats is that they are often not just simple things. Various file formats are not complete in themselves, but are just "containers" that house various components that make up the video. This is where codecs come in. Because of this, all mp4 files (for example) are not equal. Some are low resolution some are high. Some have high quality audio, some have low quality. It is this type of variable that makes video occasionally quite challenging & complex. There are many threads on here about this and many more far knowledgeable people than me. There are also supporting vendors in this area.

Hope this helps. It really is quite a steep learning curve at times. For all of us!

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi Alice.

I see we are still in video watching territory! I am no expert when it comes to these things, but I will try to explain what I can. But not in numerical order.

1. I have never come across YouTubeDownloader so I don't know where it comes from, but as far as I know (AFAIK) & this is what I have just "picked up", YT does not encourage the downloading of videos, but clearly doesn't try to stop the practise as it seems to be widespread for various reasons. EG a slow internet connection causes lots of buffering so it would be easier to download something to watch when it was complete.

3. Tubemate allows you to download videos from YT & allows you to choose from various options when you download it. The standard option is as a .mp4 file. However, you are often allowed to select different qualities of video & on occasion the highest quality comes as a .flv file. The length of time it takes is determined by the size of the video you are downloading & the speed of your internet connection. The size of the file is determined by:
    i. length, in minutes, of the video
    ii. quality selected - higher quality = larger file = longer time
    You can, however, download multiple videos at the same time.

2. Here is where we get into potentially deeply technical territory. I do not know much more than the following, some of this is only repeating what I have been told, but have never tried.

The tf most definately CAN display both 720p & 1080p HD video.

Both MX & Mobo will play .flv files & I would be surprised if Rock Player didn't. However, as I said in the other video thread, you will need to familiarise yourself with file manager and file locations, together with setting up video apps to get the best out of this area.

AFAIK the problem with video file formats is that they are often not just simple things. Various file formats are not complete in themselves, but are just "containers" that house various components that make up the video. This is where codecs come in. Because of this, all mp4 files (for example) are not equal. Some are low resolution some are high. Some have high quality audio, some have low quality. It is this type of variable that makes video occasionally quite challenging & complex. There are many threads on here about this and many more far knowledgeable people than me. There are also supporting vendors in this area.

Hope this helps. It really is quite a steep learning curve at times. For all of us!
    Thank you janner43
    As I said, I did download the "Stevie Wonder Superstition 720p 4.3 HD MP4" and tried to play it on the TF. It did start and then about 1/4 way through, it just stopped. I couldn't close the screen; couldn't go to Home, etc. I tried to shut it off, but it wouldn't shut off. I had to hold the Power switch for several seconds and then it finally turned off and then on again. That is why I believe HD 720 videos (at least this one) will not play/work on my TF.

BTW: When we play any video and then stop it half way through and then leave the Video area and go to another function, we notice that when we come back to the Video folder and try to play the same video again, it starts in the middle (where we left off previously). This happens with any video we stopped 1/2 way through. When we go back to any of those videos, they start in the middle, where we left off. Is there any way to stop this from happening? Where we can leave a video (after watching 1/2 of it) and then later go back to the Video folder and NOT have that same video start-up where we left off previously? Or, do we always have to watch a video all the way through (so it doesn't start up again when we go back to the video folder)?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Thank you janner43
    As I said, I did download the "Stevie Wonder Superstition 720p 4.3 HD MP4" and tried to play it on the TF. It did start and then about 1/4 way through, it just stopped. I couldn't close the screen; couldn't go to Home, etc. I tried to shut it off, but it wouldn't shut off. I had to hold the Power switch for several seconds and then it finally turned off and then on again. That is why I believe HD 720 videos (at least this one) will not play/work on my TF.

BTW: When we play any video and then stop it half way through and then leave the Video area and go to another function, we notice that when we come back to the Video folder and try to play the same video again, it starts in the middle (where we left off previously). This happens with any video we stopped 1/2 way through. When we go back to any of those videos, they start in the middle, where we left off. Is there any way to stop this from happening? Where we can leave a video (after watching 1/2 of it) and then later go back to the Video folder and NOT have that same video start-up where we left off previously? Or, do we always have to watch a video all the way through (so it doesn't start up again when we go back to the video folder)?
    Hi alice,

The best place to find out how to watch HD videos either 720p or 1080p is
    Asus Transformer Video
    Lots of hints & tips in there. I was only reading in various threads there yesterday.

The memory function you talk about in watching videos is supposed to be a good thing! It is supposed to help you when you watch something & are not able to watch it all at once. If you tap the screen when the video is playing then you will see the standard video controls. Just drag the progress dot back to the beginning. Only takes a nanosecond!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links