Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy WiFi Fails After Sleep (have tried various tricks listed here)

Hi. New user here, just got my Transformer three days ago. Unfortunately there's already a problem and reading the various advice posted here hasn't cured it. My Transformer fails to connect to the WiFi network after it sleeps for an hour or so. The network status indicator shows bars but is grayed out, none of the Internet-dependent apps work, and I have to power off and back on (warm boot, I guess) to restore network connectivity.

This is a new Transformer, and I applied the recently released firmware update pretty much immediately upon getting it connected, so I don't have any pre-update experience to compare to. Per other threads here, I have:
    • Cold booted the Transformer post-update (several times)
    • Changed my router's channel to a less-used one (forced me to finally recall the router admin password, a good thing )
    • Reset my WiFi router (a Linksys WRT54GL, a very stable router)

None of those seem to have fixed the problem. I'm now wondering if my unit is defective or if this is really an underlying problem with the recent software update, since I see other posts on the same topic where the problem seems to have manifested after the update, and I'm trying to decide whether to exchange it. I have a 32G Transformer, model TF101. "About Tablet" shows the firmware build number as HTK75.US_epad-8.6.5.18-20111028. Needless to say I was excited to get the new toy and am now frustrated at yet another thing that doesn't seem to work properly out of the box (all too common on many things lately).

Have I missed any adjustments and/or diagnostics that I should try? Thanks.

DaveL

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL60 View Post
    Hi. New user here, just got my Transformer three days ago. Unfortunately there's already a problem and reading the various advice posted here hasn't cured it. My Transformer fails to connect to the WiFi network after it sleeps for an hour or so. The network status indicator shows bars but is grayed out, none of the Internet-dependent apps work, and I have to power off and back on (warm boot, I guess) to restore network connectivity.

This is a new Transformer, and I applied the recently released firmware update pretty much immediately upon getting it connected, so I don't have any pre-update experience to compare to. Per other threads here, I have:
    • Cold booted the Transformer post-update (several times)
    • Changed my router's channel to a less-used one (forced me to finally recall the router admin password, a good thing )
    • Reset my WiFi router (a Linksys WRT54GL, a very stable router)

None of those seem to have fixed the problem. I'm now wondering if my unit is defective or if this is really an underlying problem with the recent software update, since I see other posts on the same topic where the problem seems to have manifested after the update, and I'm trying to decide whether to exchange it. I have a 32G Transformer, model TF101. "About Tablet" shows the firmware build number as HTK75.US_epad-8.6.5.18-20111028. Needless to say I was excited to get the new toy and am now frustrated at yet another thing that doesn't seem to work properly out of the box (all too common on many things lately).

Have I missed any adjustments and/or diagnostics that I should try? Thanks.

DaveL
    You are saying you got your TF three days ago - did you buy it on-line or from a shop?

If you bought it from a shop then it may be worthwhile taking back to the shop and trying it there - ask the shop people to try to connect your TF to their Wi-Fi network, put the TF to sleep, wait a good 15 to 20 seconds, then wake up the TF again, wait for a another 15 to 20 seconds - and if it still does not connect - then you have proof for them for exchanging it. If the software upgrade happened on its own then you don't need to point out the versions etc to them.

Just as a trial, try this -
    Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi settings -> Wi-Fi disconnection policy -> Never (uses more battery power)
    And see what happens.

But IMHO, you should not need this option - it is recommended to be turned off when the screen is turned off - but then automatically should turn on when you unlock the screen - though it would take a few seconds for the Wi-Fi to get connected again after you unlock the screen - it should connect.

However my TF has a different situation so - my experience may not exactly match yours. I have rooted my TF - but rooting not be required to fix the problem you are facing at all.
    Last edited by vlbaindoor; 11-06-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    VLBaindoor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Bought online (Overstock.com) so testing at the store is out. And a short wait is not enough to see the problem; typically it occurs after sleep times of a couple of hours or more. When I originally checked settings, my WiFi off was already set to "Never", so I left it that way. I've now switched it to turn WiFi off with the screen and will see what happens. WiFi came right back tonight after a couple of hours since that setting change, but the TF was charging for most of that time so I'm not sure it counts. Will play a little longer and see.

I'm very reluctant to root / jailbreak my devices; I'm not convinced the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. But that should probably be left as an entirely separate discussion.

DaveL

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, I'm happier this morning. With the WiFi set to shut off and turn on with the screen, it took maybe 3-5 seconds to re-establish its connection and I could pull up web pages. I think I can breathe / sleep / eat / etc. easier.

DaveL

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    ..[*]Changed my router's channel to a less-used one
    I had the same issue when I set my VersaLink (Westell) router to channel 9. When I move back to the channel 1 (and then up to the channel 4) the problem has disappeared. HTH

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Well, I'm happier this morning. With the WiFi set to shut off and turn on with the screen, it took maybe 3-5 seconds to re-establish its connection and I could pull up web pages. I think I can breathe / sleep / eat / etc. easier.
    DaveL
    Good to know your problem got sorted out.
    VLBaindoor

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links