Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    In your original post you mentioned some big files are slow - or something like that.

Can you please expand on that? What exactly are you trying to do and finding it to be slow?

Your answer may help us help you better - rather than getting into the discussion about what is RAM or Hard disk or specific type of flash memory and the like - none of these could be relevant for you if the proposed solution addresses a different problem altogether.[/QUOTE]

I'm concerned mostly about word processor files under Docs to Go and (especially) Quick Office Pro HD. For a desktop or laptop computer I'd just add RAM, but I'm not sure if there's a way to do that with the Transformer.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much. But I sometimes think about buying the keyboard and using the Tranny for working away on real w/p tasks -- which in my case means files up to 50,000 words. Can't even consider this with its current performance.

In addition, the w/p software I've so far tried (also Polaris, Epistle and Open Office) is pretty short on features, so that I'm even discouraged from buying an Android smartphone.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1636 times
    You may be concerned about nothing. Assuming it's all currently stored internally. Space on the internal drive will not likely be an issue. As far as the speed goes, it is what it is. I haven't tried a 50K word document but I have huge PDF files that seem to work OK.

Your only other option might be to get the next version of the Transformer. It will have a better/faster processor, but I'm not certain how much you would gain in your case.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    In your original post you mentioned some big files are slow - or something like that.
    Can you please expand on that? What exactly are you trying to do and finding it to be slow?
    Your answer may help us help you better - rather than getting into the discussion about what is RAM or Hard disk or specific type of flash memory and the like - none of these could be relevant for you if the proposed solution addresses a different problem altogether.
    I'm concerned mostly about word processor files under Docs to Go and (especially) Quick Office Pro HD. For a desktop or laptop computer I'd just add RAM, but I'm not sure if there's a way to do that with the Transformer.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much. But I sometimes think about buying the keyboard and using the Tranny for working away on real w/p tasks -- which in my case means files up to 50,000 words. Can't even consider this with its current performance.

In addition, the w/p software I've so far tried (also Polaris, Epistle and Open Office) is pretty short on features, so that I'm even discouraged from buying an Android smartphone.
    I would blame certain software company and certain hardware company for this wrong impression.

Greater CPU frequency, more RAM (Gigabytes are just a start) and huge hard disk space - are pre-requisites for certain software using certain hardware platforms - but none of these are really valid when it comes to Android and the Apps on Android.

As for features that are found in some of these word processing applications, many of them are not really used even on an all powerful desktop computer. Only some basic features are used - but to gain more business, these software companies loaded their apps with lots of features and then in some cases said that the files created with latest version of sofware can not be properly read by older version of software etc.

With Android however, the applications are still in their early stages and do not have features that some software on desktop PCs offer. It would be rather unfair to compare the desktop versions of software to the Android versions.

In any case the Transformer hardware is such that it can take 1 GB of RAM and it already has that - so you can not increase the RAM. The CPU on the Transformer normally runs at 1000 MHz - but to save on power and to increase battery life, the CPU clock may be varied depending on the load or demand by the operating system itself.

The Transformer and similar Tablets still need a dedicated 'Office' software written for Tablet - almost all the software that is available now is actually meant for phones rather than tablets.

For your requirements specifically, I would suggest that you try the softwares that you already mentioned - with an open mind - they are not designed to be comparable to what is available on a desktop and so please be aware of that.
    VLBaindoor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    @ VL Baindoor

Thanks to you, and to all the other commenters.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    For a desktop or laptop computer I'd just add RAM, but I'm not sure if there's a way to do that with the Transformer.

You have about 750MB avail or OS (kernel+rootfs+libraries+....) and apps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ads