Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By khandilee

Thread: A few questions from a new transformer owner

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

A few questions from a new transformer owner

Hello I just bought my transformer this week and I've had a few problems, but Ive gotten though most of them. These are the ones I need help with.

1.) Keyboard lag - how do I stop it, I touchtype & type quickly, but i make errors enough to where the keyboard lag is drving me apeshit crazy waiting for it to catch up.

2.) Browser issues - I know the browser is chrome based - but the inability to add extensions is very annoying. Basically adblock is mandatory because ads drain battery & slow down pages. Also I need minimalist fo facebook because pictures keep popping up over the page insead of in a new page, and wont display properly. How do I get legit chrome?

3.)Can I assign different functions or disable keys? The pgup/pgdn on the arrow keys as well as the lock button near the delete key are killing me. Ctrl + V & Ctrl + C are a must for me, highlighting would definitly be nice if it worked like in windows instead of the slow tedious way it work on the tablet.

4.) Can I change the mouse to something thats an arrow instead of a big circle?

5.) how do i mount iso files in honeycomb?

6.) Any recomended word processors? I'm using google docs atm but an app would be nice.

7.) Are there any webcam tools to change brightness/contrast?

Bonus Question: Not that I expect anyone to know this - but I'm a computer engineering student & I need to use cisco packet tracer fo my networking courses - any alternatives for android?
    Last edited by ickkii; 09-10-2011 at 07:36 AM.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

Number 1 and 2, I would recommend checking out some different web browsers. The stock (chromeish) browser has some bad keyboard lag for me. I use Opera Mobile for a browser where I need to type and Dolphin for Pad or Dolphin HD when I am doing general browsing. Dolphin has some decent add-ons. You can also check out Firefox and Maxathon to see which of these suit you needs best.

Number 3 - The keys are pretty much fixed. If you root your device, I beleive you can change the functions of the keys, but I have not tried this. Some apps do support shift - ARROWS to select text as well as CTRL-C and CTRL-V with the external keyboard dock. If you use a virtual keyboard, check out Thumb Keyboard as you can add special keys like HOME, END, COPY, PASTE and DELETE as well as macro keys to enter a string of text (such as an email address) with one touch of a button.

Number 4 - If you are running the latest build (8.6.5.9) Go to Settings - Language and Input - Touchpad Pointer Style

Number 5 - Removable drives (micro SD, SD and USB) show up in the /Removable/ directory (internal memory is /mnt/sdcard) so you can go up one or two levels depending on the file manager to get to the removable. For network shares, grab ES File Explorer, File Expert or File Manager HD to access them. ES File Explorer allows you to stream media to the player of your choice over the network. I am not aware of a way to mount network drives permanently but it may be possible if you root your TF.

Number 6 - The TF comes with Polaris Office. It is a bit limited, but see if it suits your neeeds. If not, the two best apps are Quick Office HD and Documents To Go. I grabbed Documents To Go when it was on sale from the Amazon Appstore for $7.99 instead of the normal $14.99. If you decide to buy it and it is full price, I recommend getting it from the developers website (dataviz.com) as they have a 30 day money back guarantee if you do not like it. The market has a 15 minute return policy. I much prefer Documents To Go over Polaris office for my needs.

Number 7 - I am not sure, I have not had much of a reason to mess with the webcam or the settings. Someone else will have to jump on this.

Bonus - I have no idea.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks, I'll give opera a shot, I think I read somewhere that there was another chrome browser for androd in the works so hopefully opera will last until that comes. Im not sure how syncing will work but as long as I can export my bookmarks I can probably make due.

Also the mouse pointer tip was a life saver! I'll give the sd card thing a shot.

I also found a google docs app on theandroid market just now that let me do spreadsheets and word docs so that should suffice as long as I don't need to do anything that needs columns.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This is my first time posting. I am a new TF owner and love it.......except......google doc spreadsheets! I have tr ied to edit in polaris, with the doc app and via the browser. Nothing is working....lots of glitches! I travel ALL the time abd was hoping that this could be my primary machine for computing. If i cant figure out the spreadsheet issue, i am going to return it and get another netbook. I really love the versitility and want to keepit but i HAVE to be able to use spreadsheets. I use a budget spreadsheet almost daily and cant even fathom[creating a new one. PLEASE HELP.
    Frederuco likes this.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

The other option is a 3rd party software package like Documents To Go, QuickOffice HD or something like that.

I would highly suggest Documents To Go because if you buy it directly from their website (dataviz.com - PDA Software - BlackBerry Software, iPhone Software, iPod touch Software, Palm OS Software, webOS Software, Google Android Software, Windows Mobile Software, Windows Smartphone Software, Symbian S60 Software - Developed By DataViz) it is the same price as the market $14.99, and you have a 30 day money back guarantee. Buying from the market, you have 15 minutes to decide if you want your money back.

Hope this works out, but if not a Netbook is not a bad option either (it is just no where near as cool as the Transformer).

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    106 times
    Looks like you are trying to Wireshark for your item number 7:

See if this helps:

Pixie Network Monitor (Wireshark/Kismet for Android) - Android Forums

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links