Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times

Transferring Files - why won't they load on Transformer?

So, I tried transferring files from my PC to the Transformer last night, and had difficulties.

I tried moving over an .m4a movie file, but it wouldn't play. I also tried a an MPEG, and it played the audio, but there was no picture. It seems like a codec issue. Is it just a matter that I wasn't using the right video player software?

I then tried moving some songs over. Several of them were ripped from CD via iTunes (Hate that program), but when I tried transferring the files via Windows Explorer, the transfer would just hang. They wouldn't move onto the tablet. I figured maybe the problem was that they were an Apple format.....so I grabbed an older file I'd ripped with WinAmp years and years ago. Just a regular MP3. That also wouldn't transfer, and obviously I also couldn't play it since it couldn't even get onto the tablet in the first place.

I installed the ASUS Sync software, but that's just for calendar and contacts....which are kind of pointless, I think, as I use Google Apps, so all that's already integrated anyways.

Is there a trick to getting files onto the device?

PAB5204

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Sometimes you can just rename the M4a extension to MP4 and it will play. Another thing is a lot of people really like the Mobo Player from the Market for playing video files.

As for transferring files I always use a micro SD card and a card reader.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Is it supposed to be that difficult? So, by nature, I can't just move files over, even though they say I can? I *do* have a micro SD card.....but the tablet doesn't seem to be seeing what's on it. It used to be in my Blackberry Bold, so I don't know if it's something where it's been formatted for another OS, and won't appear in the Transformer.

PAB5204

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    The TF will not see microSD cards formatted with NTFS, it has to be FAT32 (or FAT).

It SHOULD be that simple. In 3.1 the file transfers via USB were pretty simple. Now, with 3.2 it does not show on a lot of computers, and it will not transfer anything but MP3 files from my experience (no avi, no mp4, no mkv) and I had to transfer some files by changing the extension to mp3, transfer and then change it back.

In 3.1 you could transfer any file, regardless of type with no issues on a PC or Mac via USB.

I hope ASUS/Google get this sorted out straight away.
    Last edited by Frederuco; 08-17-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    I don't even know *how* I formatted that card. I don't think I ever did...I opened the packaging, removed the card, and stuck it in my Blackberry, where it was used through the life of the device. It never asked about formatting, so if it did any formatting, it was done without prompting me. I don't know if my multicard reader can even support micro SD....it's so small, I'm not sure I have a slot for it. I'll check when I get to my home office (laptop at work only has an SD card reader).

Is this file transfer issue a Honeycomb issue? Or a Transformer issue?

What formats of music will the Transformer play, anyways? Can I just supply MP3's? What about other formats?

Same with video. I understand there's something with high profile vs. low profile files. I've got no idea what profile my videos have. Most are just small snippets I've downloaded. Aside from that, I want to see if I can get the Digital Copies from my Blu-Rays to run on it. I *think* it's possible, as I saw a guy on the Xoom Forums mention he was able to get the files to run on his Xoom.

I only tried using the default player when I played that sample video....so maybe if I'd used my other player, it would have worked correctly, as I understand the players you get from the Market generally have better selections of codecs.

This is my first Android device. Are these workarounds regular for Android as a whole? Or are they more limited to Honeycomb? So far, I'm finding that the *easiest* device to sync data to and from was actually my Blackberry. I'm not trashing the Transformer here.....I've been using it for all of 2 days, and I'm an Android newbie, so I understand there's a learning process. I *do* like the device.....I just hope these issues are more because of my lack of knowledge, and not because of inherent issues with the tablet itself.

I haven't noticed any of the problems others have mentioned with their speakers. They seem loud enough to me. Now, if I was sitting in a Starbucks, with a bunch of people chatting around me, I might not be able to hear them.....but I wouldn't necessarily say that's a problem with the device.

Also, what's the desktop sharing software the Transformer is supposed to come with? Is it Splashtop? Or something else? I haven't seen anything like that.

Additionally, are the icons on my tablet, on the "desktop" analogous to shortcuts in Windows? ie. can I delete an icon (ie. stock browser) from my desktop, without it being deleted from the device? I like a clean background, so I don't want it covered with icons. If I use another browser, I'd like to have *that* icon on the desktop, without actually getting rid of stock software.

Unfortunately, I live in Canada, so Google Music isn't an option, until Google decides to offer the service here....so I'm left with syncing everything via cables etc. I understand there are apps that will allow me to also sync via WiFi.

PAB5204

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    The USB file transfer issue is specific to the Transformer running 3.2. I am not sure if other devices running 3.2 are affected the same way, but I know that 3.1 did not affect the TF like this.

The music player can play mp3 and m4a files as long as they are not digitally protected (DRM). These are the 2 most popular formats that I know of. It will also play .wav files for sounds too.

Video - Default format is mp4, however it can play avi files, and mkv files with the right player/codec. I use the stock player for mp4, MoboPlayer for avi and DicePlayer for mkv. I have also heard it can play some mov, and wmv files, but I have not tested them myself. The digital copies from movies will not work as they are protected with DRM and the TF does not have a DRM chip in it. However, you can use Handbrake (windows and mac, free) or DVD Catalyst (Windows, $10) to rip the movies to a compatible format. DVD Catalyst has custom profiles for the TF that rip them to the appropriate format to play beautifully in 720p on the TF with full hardware acceleration.

For syncing data, yes other devices can be easier. IMO the TF running 3.1 was easier to sync data to and from. Hopefully this 3.2 gets sorted out soon. To transfer data, I usually use a microSD card and a USB reader on my PC/mac to transfer large files. I also leave my movies on my my microSD.

For small file transfers, and streaming video, I use ES File Explorer. It allows you to access network shares and transfer files wirelessly as well as stream pictures, video and music from anywhere on your network. If you set up an FTP server you can use the setup to do this to your home network from remotely if you desire.

Splashtop is located in the MyCloud app. You will have to install the Splashtop server on your computer to use the service. It works best locally. If you are thinking of doing it remotely (away from home) and are not comfortable with setting up port forwarding or NAT on your router, I recommend buying SplashtopHD as it uses your Google account to connect you to home and no configuration is necessary.

Yes, they are shortcuts on your desktop. The programs actually reside in the app drawer (top right corner with the 6 squares with one bright that says Apps). If you long press on an icon (tap and hold for about 1 second) the top right hand corner gets a little trash can. Keep holding your finger on the icon and drag it to the top right corner and it is gone from your home screen, but still in the app drawer.

I would also recommend checking out DoubleTwist from the market. You can install the software on your computer too and it is basically iTunes for Android. It allows for transfer of files over the USB and for $5 USD I believe you can enable AirSync with it and you can actually cut the cable (literally, not figuratively) and it will sync your media to your TF over WiFi. Takes some time to get it sync'd up, but overall it works pretty well.

Whew! Hope that get some questions answered. Anything else, just let us know.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    The USB file transfer issue is specific to the Transformer running 3.2. I am not sure if other devices running 3.2 are affected the same way, but I know that 3.1 did not affect the TF like this.

The music player can play mp3 and m4a files as long as they are not digitally protected (DRM). These are the 2 most popular formats that I know of. It will also play .wav files for sounds too.

Video - Default format is mp4, however it can play avi files, and mkv files with the right player/codec. I use the stock player for mp4, MoboPlayer for avi and DicePlayer for mkv. I have also heard it can play some mov, and wmv files, but I have not tested them myself. The digital copies from movies will not work as they are protected with DRM and the TF does not have a DRM chip in it. However, you can use Handbrake (windows and mac, free) or DVD Catalyst (Windows, $10) to rip the movies to a compatible format. DVD Catalyst has custom profiles for the TF that rip them to the appropriate format to play beautifully in 720p on the TF with full hardware acceleration.

For syncing data, yes other devices can be easier. IMO the TF running 3.1 was easier to sync data to and from. Hopefully this 3.2 gets sorted out soon. To transfer data, I usually use a microSD card and a USB reader on my PC/mac to transfer large files. I also leave my movies on my my microSD.

For small file transfers, and streaming video, I use ES File Explorer. It allows you to access network shares and transfer files wirelessly as well as stream pictures, video and music from anywhere on your network. If you set up an FTP server you can use the setup to do this to your home network from remotely if you desire.

Splashtop is located in the MyCloud app. You will have to install the Splashtop server on your computer to use the service. It works best locally. If you are thinking of doing it remotely (away from home) and are not comfortable with setting up port forwarding or NAT on your router, I recommend buying SplashtopHD as it uses your Google account to connect you to home and no configuration is necessary.

Yes, they are shortcuts on your desktop. The programs actually reside in the app drawer (top right corner with the 6 squares with one bright that says Apps). If you long press on an icon (tap and hold for about 1 second) the top right hand corner gets a little trash can. Keep holding your finger on the icon and drag it to the top right corner and it is gone from your home screen, but still in the app drawer.

I would also recommend checking out DoubleTwist from the market. You can install the software on your computer too and it is basically iTunes for Android. It allows for transfer of files over the USB and for $5 USD I believe you can enable AirSync with it and you can actually cut the cable (literally, not figuratively) and it will sync your media to your TF over WiFi. Takes some time to get it sync'd up, but overall it works pretty well.

Whew! Hope that get some questions answered. Anything else, just let us know.
    I tried DoubleTwist last night, and it just sits there. I was getting lower on battery, but the keyboard dock actually decharged much of the way, while waiting for DoubleTwist to move over a few songs. Now, I'd given it instructions to migrate my whole song library. And progress meter was moving, but the songs that it seemed to take forever with (it literally listed their names, and would stay on the same song for 25 minutes) seemed to be ones purchased through iTunes. Is that because it's getting stuck on songs with the Apple DRM?

Or is it likely something else is going on?

I figured out why it wasn't reading my MicroSD. I hadn't pushed the card far enough in, not realizing it was supposed to go all the way in, like by pushing with my fingernail. As soon as I did that, the device saw the card.

I *have* noticed a little light bleed, but it's only when nothing's being projected on the screen (that I can tell). I don't think it's a big deal. When it's on that Honeycomb dark blue background, there's a slightly brighter blue "stripe" across the middle of the screen, but I *think* that's part of the Honeycomb design. I only see that on screens such as the System screen with that blue-black background. Please correct me if that is not supposed to be there.

The only other thing I've noticed is a slight creak on the left edge of the tablet, and on the right side of the screen, there's some kind of artifact, almost like a hair or bit of dander maybe 2mm long. I tried scratching it with my fingernail, but it seems embedded in the glass, or under the glass. Is it likely that's dust from manufacturing? I'm still well within my exchange date range, and I'm wondering if that's enough justification to do so.

So far, I think I've got about 4-5 hours from the battery in the dock, doing web surfing, installing apps, etc. It's at 6% at the moment. I understand that gets better with time? The tablet itself is still at 100%. As I understand it, I'm supposed to let them both fully decharge, and then charge it back up from 0% the first few times I use it, correct?

Hopefully this file transfer issue gets resolved, as I can see it being a problem longterm. The funny thing is that although my desktop and my laptop are both Windows 7 64 bit, my desktop can't transfer any files, but my laptop *has* been able to. The problem is none of my music, movies etc. are on my laptop, as I've got my system set up with all the files etc. sitting on my desktop, and I just stream whatever I want to the laptop, so no files reside on its smaller hard drive. I have successfully moved files from my laptop to the Transformer though (mainly the Windows demo video that comes with the OS).

I can confirm that the Transformer will play WMV files. That's the format the demo video was in, and it played flawlessly. It was actually good to see. The Windows demo video is HD, and in the stores, the Transformer's screen doesn't compare as well against the Playbook. I was convinced part of the problem was the Transformer doesn't come preloaded with a good quality HD video. Using the Windows video though, the Transformer's screen looks really quite nice, and just as good (IMO).

BTW, does the lack of a DRM chip on the Transformer mean it will *never* be able to use Netflix? Like, Netflix will never create a compatible version of the app for it? I'm aware that Netflix can work....if you root the device. But I don't want to root it, as I understand that would void the warranty.

PAB5204

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Asus has been advertising NetFlix as a feature that works on the Transformer on their website so Asus has every intention of getting NetFlix running on the Transformer ASAP!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    The lack of a DRM chip should not hamper Netflix, but digital copies can be an issue.

I am not sure what is going on with the file transfers, I am having bad issues trying to transfer files between my XP machine and my TF while my Win7 x64 PC has no issues. I am ready to throw my hands in the air because it is so odd. The TF did not show in my computer in windows until I opened WMPlayer, then it showed up, but it tells me that no matter what file I transfer that it is not available to transfer any files to my TF.

As far as your dock, it should get 5-7 hours depending on what you are doing. The brighter the screen, the more battery you will use. I would not worry about discharging to 0, but I take them below 20% at least once per month. The dock will stop discharging at 3% for most users as well.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    I suspect the dock got less time, because it was the first time it was charged. As I understand it, battery life gets better the first few times you charge and discharge the battery.

I'll try Handbrake, which should eliminate the issues with digital copies. Maybe the Xoom has a DRM chip, and that's why the guy posted about just dropping the file into his Xoom and it working.

I keep my screen at about 66% brightness (whatever it came with out of the factory).

I also wonder if trying one of the alternative file transfer tools, like via Bluetooth might help. Like using Bump or something. Maybe I could send files directly from my iPhone to the Transformer that way.

Are there any good note taking apps? Particularly one that would let me write on the tablet with a finger or stylus, and have it convert to text? I don't know if I've asked that one already. It would be great to move away from my current methodology of taking sales notes on a paper notepad, and then going back to the office, and wasting 40 minutes retyping them after the meeting, to get them into the computer.

PAB5204

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links