Thread: [ SOLVED ] Replaced battery and still "stuck" at 65 percent charge

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times

[ SOLVED ] Replaced battery and still "stuck" at 65 percent charge

Hi guys I'm new to the forum but already super impressed by all the knowledge here and how friendly and helpful people are

Well ... I replaced the battery in my Asus TF-101 because the tablet seems "stuck" at a 65 percent charge .. when I plug the charger in I don't hear that familiar "beep" sound indicating that it is charging, even after replacing the battery with a brand new one.

I'll make sure to try the put the charger in the freezer for 30 minutes then remove and leave in bag for 30 minutes trick but.. here's what concerns me... even after replacing the battery, the tablet boots/powers up and seems to function normally, just like it was doing before the battery replacement ... but it's STILL stuck at 65 percent. Plugging the charger in with the new battery doesn't appear to have any effect as far as being able to get the tablet to charge up past 65 percent. It just seems really strange to me that after replacing the battery it would still show a 65 percent charge, exact same charge as the old battery... wouldn't the new battery have less charge? (or perhaps the opposite, a full charge?). It's a genuine ASUS battery I put in there too, has the ASUS logo on it and looks exactly the same as the battery I took out. The really strange thing is that the charger itself was working fine all this time, for three years now... not sure if a charger can suddenly "die" just like that? All the pins inside the ASUS tablet (the little hole in it the power adapter/usb adapter goes into) SEEM okay to me - but then again they're really tiny so can't be 100 percent sure just by eye-balling it if there's a problem with the pins or not :P ... When I check in "settings" on the tablet it says that the tablet is not charging despite the charger being plugged in.

I just put in an order for a new charger at amazon but... has anyone heard of this sort of thing happening before? You replace the battery and the tablet still claims to have the exact same level of charge it did prior to the battery being replaced?

Any insight or help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !

(PS ... I did check the Freduruco "so your tablet won't charge" thread... I did the "hard reset" (press power and volume down button) and "reset from NV Flash mode" (hold power button down for 30 seconds) tips, didn't solve the charging issue

[RS Guide] - So Your Transformer Won't Charge and/or Boot? )

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Further update.... factory reset didn't help... and the freezer trick didn't work either .. Also the charge is now down to 63 percent so I know it loses power when the tablet is used.. it's charging it back up again that's the problem

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    It sounds as if you are using the wrong charger or it failed. If you ordered the correct charger that should solve your problem.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    The only other thing you can try is to manually reload the firmware - check the guides in the Master Help Guide for how to do that.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow two replies from the admin's and so quickly too thanks for that guys .. seriously , other forums I'm used to waiting like days before anyone replies :P (though I'm sure they're just really busy at the other forums too .. really I'm just grateful for any help I can get )

Well a further update.. I turned the tablet off and had it plugged in all night long.. in the morning the battery was showing at 100 percent again (fully charged) which made me happy ... But I think you're right, the charger is acting strange.. at first it seemed like the charger was working okay , the tablet did the audible "beep" thing it's supposed to do when you plug the charger in ... now it's not doing the beep thing and the charger isn't charging it again so sort of an on-again, off-again performance with the charger.. but I ordered a new charger yesterday so I'll post back here with the results in case anyone else runs into the same problem and this thread turns up on a google search someday (not to give myself too much credit :P .. but that's helped me out in the past myself, when I'm having a problem with something and do a google search and turn up a post by someone else who had the same issues and managed to get things working again).

I'm guessing that changing the battery in the asus tablet helped .. beyond that though not sure if it was changing the battery plus factory reset, or all that plus the freezer trick which got the tablet back up to 100 percent again overnight ... or maybe when you install a new battery you just need to leave it charging all night long before it "recovers" itself and starts working properly? :P ...

But, again, will post back here when my new charger comes in the mail in case anyone else can benefit from this info...
    frenziedfemale likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Well a further update.. now my charger is working again ! :P .. I did the thing mentioned in this guide below

[RS Guide] - So Your Transformer Won't Charge and/or Boot?

where you bend the pins connecting the plug to the electric wall outlet (I bent the pins inward slightly in my case) and charger started working again.. still, I'm not cancelling my order for a new charger, going to see if the new charger works "right out of the box" so to speak (basically I'm suspicious there is a problem with my charger as leeshor pointed out) ... that and heck, the chargers for the asus tf101 are cheap nowadays when you consider how old the tablet is (not that I'm knocking it, still plenty powerful enough for me and still love it after four years of ownership!)

As far as HOW to replace the battery.. here's a copy and paste part of my updated review of the asus-tf101 .. except I will go ahead and toss the links to the videos in here too , videos were WONDERFUL and took me through battery replacement step by step (which I had never done before by the way) in a slow, easy to understand fashion (well the first video did anyways, second one was kind of fast BUT tells you how to order the tools you'll need and the battery on ebay)

" in this case google search is your friend as far as instructional videos.. search for the following terms ... youtube, NewLife2OldStuff, asus TF-101 (or TF101), and replace battery ... then do a second search with the same words except replace NewLife2OldStuff with trinhkets... this should result in two videos (which should hopefully be still posted and up there on the internet by the time you read this review) that both teach you how to replace the battery in your tablet, the first video takes you through it nice and slow step by step, the second video is a bit too fast in my opinion but it tells you the tools and type of battery you'll need to purchase...

The videos make it look like a big scary complicated deal replacing the battery.. but honestly, it's not, I did it, the most annoying thing for me was prying the outer case off the tablet to get at the insides of it and after that no big deal ... the tools and battery that you need are relatively cheap on certain websites (such as the one beginning with "e" and ending with "y" that is amazon's biggest competition) when you compare it to the cost of bringing this tablet in to a professional which would NOT be worth the cost in labor they'd charge you in my opinion (assuming the professional would even bother to replace a battery in a tablet this old to begin with... the professional in my area said the battery was too old for them to keep in stock anymore, the other professional I e-mailed never got back to me about it so that probably tells you something right there)... You'll need a t-5 screwdriver/stardriver, a phillips head screwdriver sized for 000 size screws, and a prying tool for electronics (a search for those key words on amazon's biggest competition as mentioned above should turn them up easily) and of course the asus tf-101 (or you can just type asus tf101) battery (which can also be found on that "other" website).

Battery replacement may be a necessity given that you'd be buying this tablet used.. then again maybe the previous owner was a "light" tablet user and you won't need to replace the battery for a long while? Opening this up will void your warranty but.. then again if you're buying this used from some third party seller (unless Asus has some sort of strange sale where they sell these with a "limited warranty" or something ) then you might not be able to take advantage of the warranty to begin with (check with Asus I guess to see what your options are far as warranty.. in my case I knew after four years it was unlikely my tablet would still be under warranty).
    "

(links to videos)

(admins... would it be worth turning the two videos above into a "sticky"?.. I don't want to overstep any boundaries here especially as a newbie to the forum but , in my opinion anyways, the videos are SUPER helpful for someone looking to replace their asus TF101 battery... which I'm thinking might be a fairly common situation given the age of the asus tablet, my own is four years old at the time I post this..)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Further update... sure enough the new charger appears to have done the job, the tablet is now charging without any difficulties.. though I'm a bit annoyed with myself for not just simply replacing the charger first as opposed to going through the trouble of replacing the entire battery - maybe that simple step would have solved the whole problem?

On the other hand the battery would have needed to be replaced sooner or later anyways and from what I'm seeing online I got the battery for twenty dollars less than it normally sells for right now (about $30 including shipping and handling off ebay) so maybe I did myself a favor in the long run? :P ... That's why I bought the battery so quickly to be honest, in case it turned out that the battery needed to be replaced after all...

Or maybe there was a problem with both the battery and charger to begin with? Unfortunately it's hard to say for sure at this point but ... problem solved ... the two screwdrivers and prying tools I mentioned above in total was a little less than six dollars including shipping and handling.

Now here's where my opinion gets a little bit controversial.. I have looked over some of the threads on the forum and I noticed a debate as far as whether or not one should use the "official" (for lack of a better word :P ) Asus chargers versus the third party manufacturer ones.

I can definitely see why one would recommend the Asus official charger given the info I've seen about how it's supposed to be a certain voltage and so forth... the biggest problem I had though with the sync cable/charger combo that Asus packaged with my tablet way back when I got it four years ago is.. I dunno, maybe I just got a bad sync cable/charger but.. the thing just seems so darn flimsy! Like it could easily fall apart, not that sturdy or strong. And sure enough, it literally began to fall apart on me within my first year of owning the tablet. I'm not that rough on my electronics either.....

I ended up purchasing the EastVita Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 Wall Charger Power Adapter off amazon... if you go with a US seller like I did (mainly so it would get here faster :P ) it costs seven dollars including shipping and handling ... on the one hand the first Eastvita charger died after a little over 3 years of usage which created this whole problem in the first place.. on the other hand when you look at it out of the package it looks like a sturdy, solidly put together cable and charger, it impressed me much more than the "official" asus sync cable/charger way back when I first got it... to be honest I ordered another one and it's working great right out of the box charging the tablet no problem.

Anyways looks like the rule of thumb here is replace your charger first, then if that doesn't work try replacing your battery...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Please select one
    Liked
    0 times
    If you make sure that your battery is original but your pad still stuck at the charging screen, you can use some system repair tools to fix it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links