Thread: Mac Users

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Mac Users

Please forgive my apparent ignorance but as a Mac & Evo user I so far have found that info on the transformer's mac
    compatibility is shockingly dismal, (and got no hits when searching this particular forum...REALLY!?). And any 'how-to's' I've
    managed to find are all PC
    based. (Basic 'How to' tutorials from the asus website ala APPLE's paint-by-numbers instructions would be nice, but I'd settle for
    easily accessible info like that provided by HTC & Sprint forums.)

I truly hope I'm not offending anyone here but as a completely non-techie person I've found rooting out operating info for the
    Transformer to be fairly tedious and/or frustrating.

I've had the TF for two weeks and agree w/ almost everyone that there is so much to like - the keyboard especially - but I
    may have to return it tomorrow
    simply because I've discovered that I can't play itunes movies/video and/or Quicktimes and the only workarounds that
    I've seen require the purchase of $40/$50 dollar media converters. And of course there is no NetFlix or Hulu yet and I haven't
    tried MyCloud but I've seen no info on whether uploads from Macs are problematic. I've used Android File Transfer which
    worked well for music & docs, but TF couldn't read all of my pdf's and again non of my tv/movie clips.
    (I work in TV production and need access to
    large .mov files as well as Quicktimes - not to mention stuff I'd like to watch for viewing pleasure.)

Does anyone have any info they can share?

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I have not tried this with my mac, but on a Windows PC when I try to transfer an AVI file I get a message that the file type is not supported by the TF (when doing so via USB connected to the PC). I attempted to change the file name to .mp4 and it did not work. I changed it to a .mp3 and it transferred fine, then I changed it back to .avi after and it worked fine. You could try this. http://www.transformerforums.com/for...t-your-pc.html

Also, do the files in question have any DRM (digital rights management)? If so, this can make them pretty useless to the TF.

You could also set up an FTP or SMB file sharing on your mac and use ES File Explorer to transfer the files over the network. Here is a guide (the instructions for setting up a Mac FTP server are a bit later in the thread).
    Last edited by Frederuco; 08-07-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    3 times
    i use this on my mac

Android.com

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks so much!
    For some reason I get an error message (from my mac) when I try to click the 'How to' link but I'll try again. In the meantime I will try
    renaming the file. I've only tried one .mov file so far and it's a relatively short clip shot & edited by a friend, (not for broadcast so it shouldn't have a DRM as far as I know). As for ATF as mentioned I was able to use this to transfer the files it's just that my TF couldn't/wouldn't read some
    PDFs and any video. (I also tried a Quicktime clip - that's when I researched and read that Apple video files are not supported on asus TF.)
    I've seen plenty of confirmation on this so I think what I really need is a fast video converter that cost less than $35 - 40 bucks - the cheapest
    I've seen so far. I've used Handbrake and DiVX in the past but they take a long time to convert. Since this is just for playback purposes I can't believe asus TF would make this so difficult for mac users???

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay just read the 'How To' I'll give a shot but again, I don't have a problem transferring the file,
    it's strictly a matter of TF not reading it once it's there - it shows up just fine but I get an error msg
    saying something like 'unrecognizable file format' when I try to open it. (Same w/ a few PDFs btw, apparently because they were created w/
    older Excel programs though my mac reads them just fine.)

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Here is the full text link. Try a copy paste with your Mac.

PHP Code:
    www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-faq/3349-how-transfer-files-wirelessly-between-your-phone-tablet-your-pc.html 

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    I feel your pain as well and am still on the fence as to my final outcome. I have about 75 full length movies on my Mac that i purchases and downloaded from iTunes over the past 3 years and the Transformer will not recognize and play them! Since they are not in DVD format programs like Handbrake will not burn them. So is that the end? Is there nothing that can be done with this $1000 collection of movies that play great on Ipads but not my Transformer?

Any suggestions?
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    I feel your pain as well and am still on the fence as to my final outcome. I have about 75 full length movies on my Mac that i purchases and downloaded from iTunes over the past 3 years and the Transformer will not recognize and play them! Since they are not in DVD format programs like Handbrake will not burn them. So is that the end? Is there nothing that can be done with this $1000 collection of movies that play great on Ipads but not my Transformer?

Any suggestions?
    Try the free version see if it works

Best DVD Ripper Software Free Download

ooops.. This has been reported as a scam
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 08-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So in the knick of time I think I've found a free workaround for alll but movies/shows bought on itunes...moboplayer and it's codecs work for all of my work related stuff, (mov & .m4v files) but sadly
    Frederuco is right all DRM protected iTunes files are a no go...surely this wll be corrected, right? I mean the music works as far as I can tell - why not the shows we've paid for?!! Shouldn't it be illegal to keep
    people from using these files on any platform we choose? Assuming this is an Apple issue, not an Asus one.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by latransform View Post
    So in the knick of time I think I've found a free workaround for alll but movies/shows bought on itunes...moboplayer and it's codecs work for all of my work related stuff, (mov & .m4v files) but sadly
    Frederuco is right all DRM protected iTunes files are a no go...surely this wll be corrected, right? I mean the music works as far as I can tell - why not the shows we've paid for?!! Shouldn't it be illegal to keep
    people from using these files on any platform we choose? Assuming this is an Apple issue, not an Asus one.
    Well, such is the nature of DRM protected files. You only have the access they are willing to give you, and then they might even take that away from you someday. I doubt this will change any day, since there is no chance Apple will sell/release a version of iTunes for Android. DRM'ed files doesn't belong to you. I'd avoid them at all costs.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links